Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:30 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times

Advertisements

To the rest of the world the average American is the 1% (well actually we are the 19%), but I don't think any of the occupy people would advocate for a more global distribution of their income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 12:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
All I know for certain is that after watching Michael Moore's documentary about Capitalism yesterday with my partner I am more infuriated than ever in regards to our nation's incessantly deteriorating economic conditions. I can't believe Wal-Mart secretly took out life insurance policies on their employees so they could collect benefits when they died. I can't believe that workers in Chicago had to stage a sit-in at their factory for days just to receive an average of $6,000/each in back-pay, benefits, and severance owed to them when their employer abruptly shuttered and left them unemployed with a three-day notice. At one point in time it was possible (and commonplace) for just a husband (or wife) to work full-time while providing his or her family with a comfortable standard of living that would include never having to worry about paying for groceries, never having to worry about taking little Timmy to the doctor when he had a high fever, and being able to take at least one paid vacation annually. Today? I struggle daily to make ends meat just to support myself. I don't have health insurance. I don't receive any sort of paid time off. My scheduling is at the mercy of my employer. I still have neck pain from a car accident six weeks ago, and I'm afraid to seek treatment because my auto insurance policy will only compensate medical bills up to $10,000.

This just makes me more determined than ever to run for elected office myself someday to try to improve this nation. Our parents and their parents were all able to live the "American Dream". Why should our generation have to endure a strongly diminished quality-of-life due to the avarice of the Top 1% of our nation, whose share of the overall wealth in terms of percentage values has mushroomed over the past two generations?

A LOT of people I talk to are furious with the way our nation's economy is being handled right now.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
To the rest of the world the average American is the 1% (well actually we are the 19%), but I don't think any of the occupy people would advocate for a more global distribution of their income.
I actually wouldn't mind having a new "Foreign Goodwill Tax" (or something of the sort) enacted upon me so I'd annually have to contribute $100 (or some other arbitrary amount) for the greater good of those residing within developing nations. $100 is a hard hit in the pocket for me, but I could earn that back by working just one extra shift. That $100 might feed a small family in Cambodia for an entire year for all I know.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:50 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I actually wouldn't mind having a new "Foreign Goodwill Tax" (or something of the sort) enacted upon me so I'd annually have to contribute $100 (or some other arbitrary amount) for the greater good of those residing within developing nations. $100 is a hard hit in the pocket for me, but I could earn that back by working just one extra shift. That $100 might feed a small family in Cambodia for an entire year for all I know.
We already give away an unprecedented amount of foreign aid all over planet Earth via your tax dollars:

Interactive Map: Foreign Aid Analysis Made Easy

So while we can't get a break on such necessities as basic health care, we give away that much to nations that hate us.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
We already give away an unprecedented amount of foreign aid all over planet Earth via your tax dollars:

Interactive Map: Foreign Aid Analysis Made Easy

So while we can't get a break on such necessities as basic health care, we give away that much to nations that hate us.
Israel=2.2 BILLION!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:12 PM

Yet we can't afford to fix the Squirrel Hill I-376 Interchange?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:17 PM

94 posts, read 134,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Oxfam America - Donate online

You don't have to wait for the government to force you.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:24 PM

346 posts, read 537,177 times
Ughhh... knowing about corporate greed just upsets me lol... I swear sometimes it's better off just ignoring it. ... Ignorance is bliss! (I'm not serious, but it just sucks because this whole occupy movement is probably going to help corporate greed rather than hurt it... The average american looks at the protester as just a lazy bum who wants free money.. The 1% is going to see this and realize that the "people" have no real fight in them and will continue to control politics and probably take it to us even worse.)

Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
You should try asking them! They are very approachable and seem more than willing to have such discussions.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Israel=2.2 BILLION!
Our aid to Israel is pure insanity. Last time I checked it was around $110+ billion or so total I believe.

This brings me to strange encounter I had recently. I was at my local gun range and had a friendly chat with an older gentleman who was unemployed. He told me he had been spending some time at the range to fill some time since he was unable to find a job.

I had a holster that was made in Israel and he made a comment about, "boy I sure hope we keep them as allies!". What's screwed up is that this is an American out of work and probably doesn't have health insurance while our country has given over $110 billion in "aid" to Israel over the years. For some reason that pro-Israel comment seemed really ironic and it stuck with me. It's a crazy world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh