Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:04 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times

Advertisements

I couldn't be happier with Thermo-Twin in Oakmont. Their price is great, employee owned, manufacture their own windows, employ their own installers, etc., etc. I wanted just a kitchen window and they sent a regularly dressed guy up (no suit or tie) and 3 days later they installed the new window and hauled away the old wooden one. No mess to clean up.

When I wanted a glass-block for the bathroom they said they didn't make those or frosted, maybe for what Curtis said - too cold.

I will definitely use them again. Professional in every sense yet down to earth too. It isn't like you're getting scammed by a salesman. They know their product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 07:42 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Update to our continuing saga with Windows Unlimited.

Today they finally showed up and installed the window.

One problem...actually a big problem...its about 2/3rds the size of the one the rep and I discussed putting in. I was at work all day, and my wife was home when they came. She didn't know any better, and thus couldn't catch it. To be honest with you though what the heck would we do at this point anyway? Tell them to take it back and wait for another 3 months until we finally get the right size in while we lose our butts on the gas bill or just suck it up and deal with it. If I deal with it I'm going to have moisture getting in behind the dry wall I've yet to put up in that room which will cause problems on its own. I'm screwed here either way.

When I got the estimate from the rep we discussed gutting the old rotted wooden frame in its entirety and filling up the space with a large window that matched what we had in all of the other rooms in our house. I specifically told the guy that I wanted all of the original deteriorated wood out aside from the top which was supporting the masonry above it. Instead I have the lower drafty half of the wood frame gone, with the upper half still in place. Why the HELL would I have them just remove HALF of the problem?

Do not use Windows Unlimited. They will ********* over just like they did us. You will wait for ever, they will repeatedly not show up for scheduled install dates without giving you so much as a call to make you aware that you're waiting for nothing, and then they'll screw up the work when they finally do show up.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Update to our continuing saga with Windows Unlimited.

Today they finally showed up and installed the window.

One problem...actually a big problem...its about 2/3rds the size of the one the rep and I discussed putting in. I was at work all day, and my wife was home when they came. She didn't know any better, and thus couldn't catch it. To be honest with you though what the heck would we do at this point anyway? Tell them to take it back and wait for another 3 months until we finally get the right size in while we lose our butts on the gas bill or just suck it up and deal with it. If I deal with it I'm going to have moisture getting in behind the dry wall I've yet to put up in that room which will cause problems on its own. I'm screwed here either way.

When I got the estimate from the rep we discussed gutting the old rotted wooden frame in its entirety and filling up the space with a large window that matched what we had in all of the other rooms in our house. I specifically told the guy that I wanted all of the original deteriorated wood out aside from the top which was supporting the masonry above it. Instead I have the lower drafty half of the wood frame gone, with the upper half still in place. Why the HELL would I have them just remove HALF of the problem?

Do not use Windows Unlimited. They will ********* over just like they did us. You will wait for ever, they will repeatedly not show up for scheduled install dates without giving you so much as a call to make you aware that you're waiting for nothing, and then they'll screw up the work when they finally do show up.
If you have the estimate and it shows they put the wrong window in, call them and make them replace the incorrect window. This type of thing should never happen. Last home I restored I had 20 windows replaced and ALL were correct. Also, I have a feeling they forgot about you and grabbed a stock window off the shelf and threw it in to see if they could get away with it. I am not sure they did that, but there are stock sizes laying around and maybe they didn't want to make a correct window for your job. I wouldn't let that fly. Any way you can stop payment?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Just to clarify. Replacement windows are installed within the old wood frame of the window. These are cheaper and easier to install which is why they are so popular here. The other option is to tear out the old window and wood frame and install a window that way. This is a more expensive option.

As Curtis said, look at the estimate and compare what was installed with what was quoted.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:01 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Just to clarify. Replacement windows are installed within the old wood frame of the window. These are cheaper and easier to install which is why they are so popular here. The other option is to tear out the old window and wood frame and install a window that way. This is a more expensive option.

As Curtis said, look at the estimate and compare what was installed with what was quoted.

We were quoted $700

Found out today (and this is months later) that we were charged in excess of several thousand dollars after the fact.

Mother in law paid for the window at the time and only now noticed that she was charged this much. When contacted the company stated that they are under new management so thus 'couldn't help her' and that she should 'call the police'

They are about to find out the meaning of respondeat superior.

This man isn't merely an untrustworthy contractor, he's also a con artist. They still have his picture up on their website even though he allegedly isn't affiliated with the company anymore.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh