Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times

Advertisements

I actually work nights in Lincoln-Lemington (next to Homewood) and, while it is a terrible neighborhood, nothing has ever happened to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I actually work nights in Lincoln-Lemington (next to Homewood) and, while it is a terrible neighborhood, nothing has ever happened to me.
Lincoln is more depressed than bad. Pittsburgh really doesn't have an area such as East Cleveland or West Baltimore where you have a good chance at being a random victim of a crime. In Pittsburgh anymore, the people who are victims were usually asking for trouble. On that note I wouldn't suggest going to Homewood or Lincoln without reason either, you may accidentally p*** off the wrong person

Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
In the past 5 years my car has been vandalized 3 times (well vandalized once and broken into twice) and I had what may have been an attempted home invasion (some crazy person casing my windows and front door and trying to get in through the window). My brother (who is my neighbor) had his apartment robbed while he wasn't home and his car broken into. My parents had someone try to kick in their door while they were home (another home invasion attempt but the person fled when they got the gun). All in the same neighborhood. Dammit, if only moving was financially feasible.

Other places where I have felt unsafe were Manchester at night and sometimes the Wood Street station at night. Nothing has ever happened there though.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:54 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Where do you live again, Aqua Teen?

I guess I'm lucky. The worst thing that has ever happened to me was had a bicycle stolen. Nobody ever attempted to break into my house or car.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:04 PM

659 posts, read 1,145,787 times
wow...I never had any of those experiences and I hope I never do, most of the time, when you find yourself in trouble, its because you went looking for it, but not ALWAYS!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
And SCR hates them for being poor or drug addicts or on welfare, or whatever mental congestion he experiences on the subject.
Excuse me?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Where do you live again, Aqua Teen?

I guess I'm lucky. The worst thing that has ever happened to me was had a bicycle stolen. Nobody ever attempted to break into my house or car.
Carrick. Picking up pieces of broken glass in your car weeks later is depressing. I really should move, but I am enjoying some amazing financial freedom right now and debt slavery is not something I want to be tied down with, know what I mean? Just gotta roll with the punches for now, I'm still young.

I also had a weird experience one time in Carrick. I got out of my car and was heading toward the bank and this dude came out of nowhere and was like "hey man, let me ask you a question" and he went around my car towards me. My first reaction was to walk right in the middle of the street because you would have to be nuts to jack someone there in broad daylight. So he approaches me in the middle of the street and I tell him to back up. He then comes closer and he's like "I'm not like that man, I just want some change" as I back up further.

By this point I was ready to swing on him (getting followed while heading towards a bank is NEVER a good sign) and he backs off. I get in my car and say screw the bank and drive off. Really weird situation, now I have some extra insurance with me just in case. He never got any change either.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Excuse me?
Tell us again why you hate hipsters.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Tell us again why you hate hipsters.
I never said "I hate hipsters" (to my knowledge). What I don't want to see spread is the portion of the population here that are in their 30s, largely unemployed/underemployed, dependent upon the government, who camp out in tents thinking they'll be handed jobs, who don't shower because it's "harmful to Mother Earth", who panhandle, etc. We vacationed not long ago in Portland, Maine, and the amount of transient types just roaming the streets was disheartening and quite a turn-off. I've heard Burlington, Vermont has a similar pandemic. Now that Pittsburgh is becoming "hip" and "trendy" on the national radar I fear we'll soon also be overrun with these "I'll wear my tie-dye t-shirt and folk dance on the sidewalk to Enya music to protest ExxonMobil's impending rape of Alaska" types.

If you're a hipster who has a job (or at least the DRIVE to get a job instead of just whining about how Corporate America prevents everyone from getting a job), doesn't expect handouts, and practices good hygiene, then you're welcome in my book.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:27 PM

116 posts, read 212,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I never said "I hate hipsters" (to my knowledge). What I don't want to see spread is the portion of the population here that are in their 30s, largely unemployed/underemployed, dependent upon the government, who camp out in tents thinking they'll be handed jobs, who don't shower because it's "harmful to Mother Earth", who panhandle, etc. We vacationed not long ago in Portland, Maine, and the amount of transient types just roaming the streets was disheartening and quite a turn-off. I've heard Burlington, Vermont has a similar pandemic. Now that Pittsburgh is becoming "hip" and "trendy" on the national radar I fear we'll soon also be overrun with these "I'll wear my tie-dye t-shirt and folk dance on the sidewalk to Enya music to protest ExxonMobil's impending rape of Alaska" types.

If you're a hipster who has a job (or at least the DRIVE to get a job instead of just whining about how Corporate America prevents everyone from getting a job), doesn't expect handouts, and practices good hygiene, then you're welcome in my book.
I think the transient types you're referring to are better described as gutter punks aka crusties aka Flintstone kids. Hipsters are a different ballgame.

Anyhow, I enjoy the flavor that transients add. And it's easy enough to ignore them or say "no" if they ask for money. To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh