Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I guess staying in & shooting up ones own neighborhood loses its luster at times, shame. Ah thug life.
I'm personally hoping the shoot-outs in the Hill District never spill across Bigelow into my own neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,033 times
Quote:
Obviously folks around here haven't figured out that the media has been told to "keep bad things hushed and sweep it under the carpet" by the city fathers. If you actually knew all the things happening that AREN'T reported, it would probably shock the #### out of you, but then again, what would we do without the "beautiful bubble" make believe world we live in.
It's not just Pittsburgh. It's everywhere across the country. And it began in 2009.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's not just Pittsburgh. It's everywhere across the country. And it began in 2009.
Every statistic I have read has violent crime at 50 year lows and so-on. We are talking more about an area that used to be safe, but it seemed to have changed. Who changed it? What area is infiltrating the South Side at night that wasn't there in the past? I really don't know. My days of going out late are really about over. Late for me is probably 10PM and that would be wildly rare.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:53 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,209,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Who changed it? What is infiltrating the South Side at night that wasn't there in the past?
The thug/gangsta lifestyle entered the area about two years back when they were exiled from the Strip District.
Use to be just plain college meatheads and douchebags goofing off on Carson Street before that.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
The thug/gangsta lifestyle entered the area about two years back when they were exiled from the Strip District.
Use to be just plain college meatheads and douchebags goofing off on Carson Street before that.
Interesting how these trends go. There was a time that Metropol was a fun place to go and it was mostly younger progressive types that were there to dance and have a blast. Then a place like Whiskey Dicks opened up and some other crap places brought in a totally different crowd and it was over. When I was going to the South Side years ago it was mostly middle or upper middle class white college and older folks in their 20's-30's as well as some goth harmless types and others partying. It was a lot of fun. To be honest, there were very few fights let alone gunfire. Seems some of the thug types are frequenting that place now and it is going downhill fast. I suspect the newer area will slowly become the better place to be and the lower streets will be crap. Maybe they already are? It is a shame that place is going that way. It is a big place to topple though. Way bigger than the Strip. Shame.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:29 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,875,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Interesting how these trends go. There was a time that Metropol was a fun place to go and it was mostly younger progressive types that were there to dance and have a blast. Then a place like Whiskey Dicks opened up and some other crap places brought in a totally different crowd and it was over. When I was going to the South Side years ago it was mostly middle or upper middle class white college and older folks in their 20's-30's as well as some goth harmless types and others partying. It was a lot of fun. To be honest, there were very few fights let alone gunfire. Seems some of the thug types are frequenting that place now and it is going downhill fast. I suspect the newer area will slowly become the better place to be and the lower streets will be crap. Maybe they already are? It is a shame that place is going that way. It is a big place to topple though. Way bigger than the Strip. Shame.
I can't see it falling into what happened with the Strip and Station Square, considering unlike those areas, it has a large residential contingent, including people who've recently paid $300,000 to $500,000 for the privilege of living there. Most likely the bar scene will half-die, but the neighborhood will continue to increase in cost, making Carson Street more and more like Walnut Street.

As to where the bar scene will go next, it's not clear. People always talk about my neighborhood (Lawrenceville) as the next South Side, but I don't see it. People do go out on the weekends, but it's not a place where people bar hop much - more somewhere they just stay planted to one bar all night long. There are a few black dive bars in the neighborhood (one is right near my house), but things seem quiet and low-key in them, and I've never heard about any gang troubles.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 PM

80 posts, read 110,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As to where the bar scene will go next, it's not clear. People always talk about my neighborhood (Lawrenceville) as the next South Side, but I don't see it. People do go out on the weekends, but it's not a place where people bar hop much - more somewhere they just stay planted to one bar all night long.

The key to add to this is not yet. People said the same thing about the South Side Flats for ages.

I'm not saying Lawrenceville is for sure the next nightlife "hotspot," but it certainly has most of the key ingredients (demographics, property values, location, etc.) to be a contender.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:57 AM

27 posts, read 40,244 times
I said to my 23 year old son that the South Side will become like the other areas of Pittsburgh that fell by the wayside because of the influx of people who are going for trouble and nothing else. He said I am wrong, he finally caved in and said: you are right. He use to visit the South Side with his friends from college and that stopped last March. Now they go to other areas without hesitation.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,840,863 times
All the places could just start playing only country music to scare the gangsta wannabes away

Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 AM

429 posts, read 650,804 times
What is the difference between a ganster and a gangsta wannabe? Thugs are thugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh