Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 9,544 times

Advertisements

Myself and my wife are planning for a 3-4 day trip to Pittsburgh and surrounding cities on the last week of Feb. We are from Dayton, OH. We would be driving there. On the way we plan to stop at Wheeling, WV and spend few hours there (glass museum). Then spend 2 days in Pittsburgh and on the way back, stop in Sharon (shoe/candy store). In Pittsburgh, the places we marked out for visit are the following:

Monongahela/Duquesne Incline to Mt. Washington, Carnegie science and natural history museums, National Aviary, Phipps Conservatory, food at Primanti's

Am I missing some place? The other interesting places I came across are the following: Point State Park, Cemetery, Big Mac Museum, Fort Pitt Tunnel.

We are nature lovers (and hence the aviary, conservatory) and like scenic places. Can you point out 1 or 2 bridges and tunnels that are a must visit? (and can we walk on the bridges or is it a drive through)?

Also, can you let me know the approximate time required to cover each of these places -- want to cover as many as possible in 2 full days.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I'm a member of the National Aviary and would recommend at least 90 minutes to fully enjoy the exhibits it has to offer with a standard admission of $13/adult. With that being said the aviary also offers participative shows and feedings (for an additional fee) that are well worth the money, in my opinion, and may extend your timeframe to 2-2.5 hours. If you're like me a typical visit will take two hours as I read everything, strike up conversations with staff, and visit some favorite birds a second time during my visit, along with browsing the gift shop. Parking is $5 for non-members in the aviary lot, or you can park along Arch Street.

I visited Phipps this past Saturday, and they were having a great orchid display, along with a very well-done Indian rainforest exhibit and a garden railroad. We spent about two hours there. It was refreshing to bask in the greenery and humidity while we still have another six weeks or so of wintry weather to endure. There is free parking in the median of the road in front of the conservatory as well as metered parking (free on Sundays and 8 AM - 6 PM on weekdays and Saturdays).

As far as "must-see" bridges and tunnels are concerned I'd highly recommend coming into the city from the west (I-376 inbound) through the Fort Pitt Tunnels at night to get that "bam" feeling as the skyline lights smack you in the face. You can always leave the city and then navigate your way back in. You can't walk through the tunnels. A nice bridge to walk across is the Smithfield Street Bridge. While it's cliche and tacky I'd actually recommend parking Downtown after 6 PM at a meter (free) walking across the Smithfield Street Bridge, and then getting an outdoor table at the Hard Rock Cafe in Station Square. You can dine while watching the dancing fountains and the skyline. I don't remember what other restaurants are down there off the top of my head, but I believe they're chains (Joe's Crab Shack? Bar Louie?)

I'd recommend eating at the Primanti's location in the Strip District and then walking around and enjoying the specialty retailers along Penn Avenue, perhaps stopping for ice cream at Klavon's Ice Cream Parlor, too!

I personally find Point State Park to be very underwhelming in the winter, especially with the fountain under reconstruction. By "cemetery" I presume you mean Allegheny Cemetery in Lawrenceville. I don't know if I'd really recommend that as a tourist attraction, though.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Also, while Pittsburgh has undergone (and continues to undergo) extensive gentrification I'd recommend driving around Troy Hill and Polish Hill as two prime examples of traditional working-class ethnic Pittsburgh neighborhoods that retain a lot of their original character and flair.

I especially like the views in Polish Hill if you stand at the top of Brereton Street and look down, surveying the neighborhood as well as across to the North Hills. Another nice view would be the view of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church from the corner of Herron & Dobson. Yet another great view is on the "other side" of Polish Hill, uphill from Bigelow Boulevard, where you can get some great views from Ridgway Street.

Troy Hill also offers some excellent views of both the Downtown skyline and the East End from different areas. There's a set of city steps along Goettman Street just past the ballpark that has some great skyline views. You'll find more "hidden" views up there as well.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 PM

@SteelCityRising,
Thank you for the suggestions. We are vegetarians and at only Moon Township of Primati's I found veg options. Do you know if there are veg options at Strip district too?

Also, can we take one incline (Monongahela) up the mountain and another one (Duquesne) while coming down?

Are there any specific Thai/Chinese/Indian/Mexican restaurants that we should definitely try?

Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
I second the suggestion to drive around Troy Hill. There's not much to do up there (other than a Catholic Church with the most relics in the world outside of the Vatican), but it's such a bizarre and unique neighborhood. Fineview is similar to Troy Hill in it's uniqueness; the Catoma overlook has a great view that rivals Mt. Washington's. Both Troy Hill and Fineview are safe, but off the beaten path as far as tourists go, though.

I would suggest the Car & Carriage Museum at the Frick; it's free and is pretty neat. The Heinz History Center is pretty neat if you're into history.

Lastly, if you're up for it, you should rent kayaks downtown and paddle around the rivers!

Last edited by ferraris; 02-12-2013 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvr09 View Post
@SteelCityRising,
Thank you for the suggestions. We are vegetarians and at only Moon Township of Primati's I found veg options. Do you know if there are veg options at Strip district too?

Also, can we take one incline (Monongahela) up the mountain and another one (Duquesne) while coming down?

Are there any specific Thai/Chinese/Indian/Mexican restaurants that we should definitely try?
You can go up one incline and down the other, but remember you'll have to hike it back to your car if you drove.

Nicky's Thai Kitchen on Western Ave is awesome. Definitely ask to be seated outside if the weather permits.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
With that limited amount of time I don't know that you want to get too bogged down in museum-going, but the History Center is great if you're doing the Strip is a good introduction to Pittsburgh in general. I'd save Troy Hill for another trip.

What kind of vegetarian options are you looking for at Primanti's? The Strip District location is just sandwiches, but you can get a three cheese or an egg and cheese.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM

831 posts, read 879,132 times
As far as neighborhoods, Allegheny West is another very cool place to walk around,

Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM

@ferrarisnowday,
Kayaking around the rivers would be interesting. Thank you for the suggestions.

Is it better to go to Mt. Washington in the daytime or evening time?

@fleetiebelle and @tclifton,
Thank you for your suggestions. I want some vegetables as well. The menu at Moon Twp location of Primati's looks good -- http://primantibros.com/assets/pdf/P...burbanMenu.pdf

It has a veggie platter and burger.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
@fleetiebelle and @tclifton,
Thank you for your suggestions. I want some vegetables as well. The menu at Moon Twp location of Primati's looks good -- http://primantibros.com/assets/pdf/P...burbanMenu.pdf

It has a veggie platter and burger.
I'm not a big fan of Primanti's, but if you want healthy food and you're not going to get one of their signature sandwiches, there's kind of no point in going there, IMO. Plus, Moon Township is out in the burbs, which takes you away from your city sightseeing agenda. I'd suggest taking the Mon Incline up to Mt. Washington and eating at the Shiloh Grille. Or finding somewhere else to eat in the Strip or Oakland or wherever you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh