Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM

461 posts, read 745,186 times

Advertisements

I'm with AA on this issue of doing an affordable, functional renovation. You can get decent (often vintage) fixtures and cabinets at Construction Junction or freecycle, and use color to make the place look nice. There's something odd to me about a granite kitchen in an average, modest home - it looks out of place, as if someone is trying to make the house something that it isn't. And since it seems like every new home has granite etc, I imagine that it will look dated in about 10 years.

Disclaimer: we looked at at least 10,000 homes in Pittsburgh over the last year, and immediately dismissed the homes that had been "renovated" with modern stuff - we laughed about having to rip all of that stuff out to make it look "right" again. We like old.

e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 02:58 PM

482 posts, read 1,230,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
I'm with AA on this issue of doing an affordable, functional renovation. You can get decent (often vintage) fixtures and cabinets at Construction Junction or freecycle, and use color to make the place look nice. There's something odd to me about a granite kitchen in an average, modest home - it looks out of place, as if someone is trying to make the house something that it isn't. And since it seems like every new home has granite etc, I imagine that it will look dated in about 10 years.

Disclaimer: we looked at at least 10,000 homes in Pittsburgh over the last year, and immediately dismissed the homes that had been "renovated" with modern stuff - we laughed about having to rip all of that stuff out to make it look "right" again. We like old.

e
People think granite makes them look 'classy'.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:59 PM

225 posts, read 322,310 times
There is nothing wrong with flipping houses. What was wrong was mortgage companies giving loans to people who couldn't afford them.

If someone wants to flip a house in Lawrenceville and is able to sell it and make a profit then good for them.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:38 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times
I agree there is nothing wrong with spending big money on home renovations. However, I also think it is elitist to say that "if you don't spend big money on high-end materials and renovations, then your renovation does not count as a renovation." That, to me, just sounds like someone who is bitter because they spent more than you. If you're making an old, run-down house functional, attractive, and pretty again, who cares how much you spend? Some things are appropriate for working class homes that would not be appropriate in grand homes.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:56 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I agree there is nothing wrong with spending big money on home renovations. However, I also think it is elitist to say that "if you don't spend big money on high-end materials and renovations, then your renovation does not count as a renovation." That, to me, just sounds like someone who is bitter because they spent more than you. If you're making an old, run-down house functional, attractive, and pretty again, who cares how much you spend? Some things are appropriate for working class homes that would not be appropriate in grand homes.
I very much agree with this but am sick and tired of everything being labeled elitist. I don't think there's any elitism going on here, just misunderstanding. It wouldn't be appropriate to put a $50k kitchen in your house (or even mine), and it wouldn't be appropriate to put a $5k one in some others.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:38 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,940,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
There is nothing wrong with flipping houses.
There's nothing wrong when a person flips a house for a profit. There is something wrong when a corporation gets into the business of it, or a bank for that matter.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:53 PM

801 posts, read 1,099,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't think it's a negative to see property prices shoot up so long as the increase is supported by actual supply & demand rather then speculation.
Part of the problem with this megalith aspect that supports our economy, i.e. the housing market, is the demand...i.e. the consumers who are willing to accept putting so much of their income into a mortgage. As a market economy goes, prices will rise to what people are willing to pay. However, in my view, that does not make unreasonable housing prices and high rent costs acceptable.

When I see people paying upwards of 300K, even 400K for what looks like a piece of junk (example: HGTV's Property Brothers) that needs 50k+ in repairs and upgrades just to make it presentable, then there is a huge problem there.

Many low income buyers were severly criticized for buying more that they could afford, but I see that middle income (mid-to higher income) buyers were buying way more than they could afford for grossly overpriced housing as well.

Everytime someone sells their house and wants to make a jackpot out of the transaction, then every iteration of that same type of transaction eventually drives up housing cost until we've got ourselves a "fake" economy. From what I see of the programming on HGTV, it seems like Europe is just as bad or worse as North America in terms of overpriced housing.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:36 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,483,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is pretty elitist-sounding, though. I know plenty of people who live in modest homes who do modest remodels that cost much, much less than a new car.
Not elitist but realistic. A kitchen with new cabints, appliances, couters and floor with a little bit of plumbing and electrical is more expensive than you think.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:17 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
There is nothing wrong with flipping houses. What was wrong was mortgage companies giving loans to people who couldn't afford them.

If someone wants to flip a house in Lawrenceville and is able to sell it and make a profit then good for them.
Agreeed. Usually these houses are in renovation and if fixed, will also benefitbthe neighborhood as one less house in a poor condition and new neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh