Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Fracking safe?
Yes 11 40.74%
no 12 44.44%
don't know enough to say 4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times

Advertisements

The Frac Facts - Seeking Alpha

Here is a small quote.

rivers.

Each company has its own different recipe for frac fluid. Ingredients of this fluid have drawn heavy interest, as companies did not want the competition to get a hold of this valuable information. Other companies were happy to disclose, posted the information on the internet for all to see. All chemicals used at a well site must be listed in MSDS sheets on location, so it is not a big secret what is being used, more a question of how much. Frac fluid is 99% water and sand/proppant. Other chemicals such as biocides or friction reducers are a very small portion of this mix. Companies like Flotek (FTK) have designed clean frac fluids that are biodegradable.

It seems like a very interesting article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 05:35 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I see that the discussion here seems to be focused on the possibility of some form of "industrial espionage"--doctors, or well informed patients, disclosing secret formulas to competitors.

A different theory occurs to me...

How about, so the stricken person can't tell their lawyer, and the lawyer can't tell the jury, exactly what's in the fracking fluid, when they bring the inevitable lawsuit?

So you'd know the answer to this question then--Don't the MSDS sheets pretty much make what's in the stuff not-so-secret-at-all?
i think the post above answers your question about the MSDS sheets...

i can't really say, i've never seen an MSDS sheet that pertained to our fracking jobs.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
So now that some more time has passed, is the general attitude in Pittsburgh towards fracking changing or remaining about the same? Is it working out well? Any problems?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 AM

106 posts, read 218,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
So now that some more time has passed, is the general attitude in Pittsburgh towards fracking changing or remaining about the same? Is it working out well? Any problems?
Fracking has been synonymous with big energy and therefore politics. If you want green energy to succeed, you must destroy conventional energy practices. Science be damned in this argument. Though now that NatGas has been blessed by the savior, I imagine fracking will soon become universaly accepted. (Especially if it means free ___________(e.g. fuel/transportation/heat) for the middle class)

Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 AM

So... have there been any problems in the last few months. I vaguely recall there was a small tremor several months ago, but not sure if that had anything to do with fracking. Any evidence of water pollution?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Actually, fracking is something that puts me off Pittsburgh. Meds and Eds are great. But, fracking?

It's a questionable industry that definitely mucks up the water supply.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Has there been any actual evidence of the water supply being affected? I know it seems like a likely possibility, but to be honest I don;t read about it actually happening.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Has there been any actual evidence of the water supply being affected? I know it seems like a likely possibility, but to be honest I don;t read about it actually happening.
With anything that is a big business issue, it's almost impossible to say.

They have immense lobbyists, enormous money. To me, it's similar to the tobacco industry, the gun industry, the pharmaucetical industry, genetically-modified foods industry, etc. We'll never know, but I'll personally assume that $$$ is their bottom line, and not the general public good.

There are so many cases online about affected drinking water. Some states ban fracking altogether, others seem to be in alignment with the fracking companies 100% without question.

I tend to think it'll continue to be controversial.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 PM

106 posts, read 218,293 times
Quote:
Actually, fracking is something that puts me off Pittsburgh. Meds and Eds are great. But, fracking?

Pittsburgh has a ban on fracking in place. Does that desire to dissuade big business from contributing to the city economy by banning a 50 year old drilling technique appeal to you?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:

I live in the city and have never seen a well anywhere I travel. You cant do it in the city and most of the suburbs because of density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh