Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:08 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Courtesy of Chris Briem, this article goes into the factors that Shell is considering as it decides between Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia for the location of its planned Marcellus ethane cracker:

Business, Government , Legal News from Throughout W.Va. - W.Va.

Overall I think the case for a location in the Pittsburgh area looks pretty strong, but we'll find out in January.

By way of background, this would be a multi-billion dollar construction project lasting several years and likely employing thousands of construction workers. Once running it would employ hundreds of people directly, and support thousands of jobs in other firms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Courtesy of Chris Briem, this article goes into the factors that Shell is considering as it decides between Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia for the location of its planned Marcellus ethane cracker:

Business, Government , Legal News from Throughout W.Va. - W.Va.

Overall I think the case for a location in the Pittsburgh area looks pretty strong, but we'll find out in January.

By way of background, this would be a multi-billion dollar construction project lasting several years and likely employing thousands of construction workers. Once running it would employ hundreds of people directly, and support thousands of jobs in other firms.
HAHA, very interesting, but I was thinking of a "shell cracker" for eating crab or lobster.

It would be interesting to know where these sites are. The Ohio or WV sites could very well be more local to us than a PA one.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:51 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
HAHA, very interesting, but I was thinking of a "shell cracker" for eating crab or lobster.

It would be interesting to know where these sites are. The Ohio or WV sites could very well be more local to us than a PA one.
They were quoting Pittsburgh's central location in the article though which provides hope that they would build it somewhere in the Metro area

Old 11-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
They were quoting Pittsburgh's central location in the article though which provides hope that they would build it somewhere in the Metro area

Weirton, West Virginia could very well be one area they're considering. They have plenty of space since the mill closed down; and considering what they're doing with the video poker parlors there, there's not much that their visionary leaders won't do for a quick buck/grasp at straws for some sort of future for their town.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:12 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Somewhere in Washington County would be a prime location, as it could easily draw labor from the Pittsburgh Metro Area as well as the Northern WV Panhandle and parts of Ohio. This might help to really reinvigorate Canonsburg and/or Washington. I'm sure a lot of Pittsburghers would gladly commute to Canonsburg for a job with Shell. Waynesburg? Weirton? Steubenville? Not so certain.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Somewhere in Washington County would be a prime location, as it could easily draw labor from the Pittsburgh Metro Area as well as the Northern WV Panhandle and parts of Ohio. This might help to really reinvigorate Canonsburg and/or Washington. I'm sure a lot of Pittsburghers would gladly commute to Canonsburg for a job with Shell. Waynesburg? Weirton? Steubenville? Not so certain.

I can get from Mt Washington to Weirton in about 35 minutes. But now that you mention it, there is a large (empty?) industrial park off of the Burgettstown exit by Star Lake.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 AM

799 posts, read 1,290,014 times
I think Pittsburgh will benefit regardless of where the cracker plant ends up. Pittsburgh is the energy hub of the entire East Coast.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
I think Pittsburgh will benefit regardless of where the cracker plant ends up. Pittsburgh is the energy hub of the entire East Coast.
I think you are correct, although a location in PA (and maybe in the Pittsburgh Metro) would have positive tax consequences and maybe attract a bit more private capital investment to the region.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:16 AM

482 posts, read 1,234,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Weirton, West Virginia could very well be one area they're considering. They have plenty of space since the mill closed down; and considering what they're doing with the video poker parlors there, there's not much that their visionary leaders won't do for a quick buck/grasp at straws for some sort of future for their town.
I was thinking the same thing while reading that article. While the mill isn't fully closed, there is A LOT of un-used land on their property that the company has been trying to sell, with union resistance (someone thinks the blast furnaces will restart ). Regardless, the biggest issue at that site is the environmental clean up from the mill's old iron ore fields.

Anywhere is the northern panhandle would work, but Burgettstown would be a good location, too. It's not hard getting to those areas from Pittsburgh, getting home on the parkway west is an issue. Then again, the workers could live in the Robinson area and have a nice easy commute like I did for 3 years.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
Then again, the workers could live in the Robinson area and have a nice easy commute like I did for 3 years.
Meh. I don't necessarily think encouraging more urban sprawl while our transit agency is about to make severe cuts to suburban bus routes would be in the metro area's long-range best interest, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh