Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:49 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
We can say Corbett this & Corbett that, but as with any politician he will ultimately do whatever will get them elected which unfortunately doesn't bode well here as the rural areas will vote for him & not care about PAT, most of the suburbs here will be the same & I'm sure Philly people (the states largest voting bloc) are either unconcerned at best or actively against sending money out west to support PAT at worst
The thing is, it isn't just PAT. For that matter, it isn't just transit. Road and bridge funding is also in a crisis, and Corbett is blocking a resolution of all of that. That's why his own Commission made the recommendations it did, and why there was such a broad coalition in favor of passing those recommendations, and why the legislature is willing to act. In fact this is how it has always worked in the state--rural areas get bought off with road money, urban areas get some transit money, and we creak along.

That's not to say Corbett's isn't a political decision. But it isn't really about underlying interests, it is about the fact that Corbett made a ridiculous no-taxes pledge, and he doesn't have the political courage to break it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 PM

91 posts, read 237,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So 2012 will bring us a one-lane Squirrel Hill Tunnel AND a 35% public transit service reduction that will likely largely target routes servicing the Eastern suburbs? Brilliant. Just brilliant.
Word. I know I should have looked in the Cranberry/Wexford area when I moved. At least then the tunnels wouldn't be the abyss I long for on my morning commute (when I drive).

Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
It amazes me that an area as progressive as ours spawned two terribly regressive politicians like Gov. Corbett and GOP presidential hopeful Santorum.
We've got all kinds here, of course. What has changed is the nature of the state Republican Party, which used to select for moderates and now is selecting for extremists.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
It amazes me that an area as progressive as ours spawned two terribly regressive politicians like Gov. Corbett and GOP presidential hopeful Santorum.
Just shows that our area isn't as progressive as thought. Pittsburgh itself is, but the outlying areas aren't. Pittsburgh also can't really be that progressive since we are behind the times anyway.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Just shows that our area isn't as progressive as thought. Pittsburgh itself is, but the outlying areas aren't. Pittsburgh also can't really be that progressive since we are behind the times anyway.
This transportation aside, how else is Pgh behind the times?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The thing is, it isn't just PAT. For that matter, it isn't just transit. Road and bridge funding is also in a crisis, and Corbett is blocking a resolution of all of that. That's why his own Commission made the recommendations it did, and why there was such a broad coalition in favor of passing those recommendations, and why the legislature is willing to act. In fact this is how it has always worked in the state--rural areas get bought off with road money, urban areas get some transit money, and we creak along.

That's not to say Corbett's isn't a political decision. But it isn't really about underlying interests, it is about the fact that Corbett made a ridiculous no-taxes pledge, and he doesn't have the political courage to break it.
I don't think this is accurate. corbett was willing to tell norquist to go lick himself and call the shale tax a fee so there's no reason to believe that this wouldn't be the case for the increased fees that his own panel called for. I agree it's most likely a political decision but one that has more to do with his guess that people really don't want more fees even if it means better transportation funding. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that fits a bit better IMO. as far as I can tell, corbett lacks the ability to lead at all. the reality is bridges and roads can probably make one more year, transit, OTOH, cannot. neither Philadelphia nor Pittsburgh votes Republican in any great numbers so their interests can be easily ignored. it doesn't seem that who is running makes much of a difference in this state, it's party and timing.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
We've got all kinds here, of course. What has changed is the nature of the state Republican Party, which used to select for moderates and now is selecting for extremists.
like who? corbett doesn't have a much better relationship with his own party than he does with the democrats. with the voucher legislation, there was no support for the tea party version (which had no income limits)...only the income restricted legislation. basically the swing votes like chester county will only vote for it if it effects "broken" districts...people in good districts are happy with their schools.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
This transportation aside, how else is Pgh behind the times?

Disgusting.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:19 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:

Disgusting.

???

When was "the times" for parking chairs?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:21 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
It's just such a selfish activity. I parked on the street all of last winter. I shoveled out a space for my own vehicle and multiple other spaces also to be a CONSIDERATE neighbor. I'm sorry, but if I'm delivering Thai food to your next-door neighbor just after a snow storm, and if you have "the chair" out, then I'm stopping, moving your chair onto the sidewalk, parking, delivering the food, and leaving. People don't "own" the street in front of their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh