Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:37 PM

28 posts, read 51,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Rather than get your hope up about a house only to find out later it is in a lousy school district, I would really only look for houses in the top 15 or so school districts. You posted earlier asking about Bellvue and also had a Bucket List thread. Both of those threads gave you some great insight into areas which would be appealing to a family.

If your budget is no longer 300,000 maybe post a new thread and ask for suggestions. The people here are pretty helpful and for the most part they really do steer you in the right direction.

I have all those areas listed and houses to look at, but I like to search. I look at other threads as well to see what ppl have to say. You are right though Sorry to be a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Do not move to New Kensington. Take this from someone who grew up there (and neighboring town Lower Burrell)

Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
There are good parts of New Kensington/Arnold... Then again there are BAD parts of New Ken Arnold (compareable to the bad sections of G-field, Lincoln-Lemington, Hazelwood/Glen Hazel, Homestead PA, Clairton PA & MonView Heights projects, West Mifflen)!!!
It just all depends on where the property in question is located...

*PS~I'm not an expert on Westmoreland County

Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
  • Big houses- we have six kids!
Can you sell a few of them?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svalsechi View Post
I have all those areas listed and houses to look at, but I like to search. I look at other threads as well to see what ppl have to say. You are right though Sorry to be a pain.
Not being a pain. Just trying to save you some time and energy.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:05 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I don't think Valley High School is somewhere one would want to send their kids. I might not be right, and I am sure there are plenty of kids who get a quality education there...
I have a close friend that has two kids in that system. They live in Lower Burrell. They are happy with the school. It wouldn't be my first choice however. Depends on your budget and where your work is etc.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:56 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have a close friend that has two kids in that system. They live in Lower Burrell. They are happy with the school. It wouldn't be my first choice however. Depends on your budget and where your work is etc.
If I'm not mistaken, Lower Burrell residents are in Burrell School District, and would go to Burrell High School, not Valley High School, which is a part of the New Ken/Arnold School District.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:05 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Lower Burrell residents are in Burrell School District, and would go to Burrell High School, not Valley High School, which is a part of the New Ken/Arnold School District.
Not totally sure about all that. I know he lives up on the hill and there is a elementary school up there, but his kids are going to Valley. I will ask about it.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 18,265 times
I live in Lower Burrell now, grew up in New Kensington. I went to Valley(graduated 10+ years ago).

I'm actually buying a house in New Ken(though it's very close the Lower Burrell Line).

Like others have said there are good parts and bad parts. I enjoyed growing up there, and I still like the area, though it is much more run down now in certain parts. Downtown is empty.

I think the area gets a bad rap, because people just hear about the bad areas of town. A good chunk of the city is good neighborhoods, and its a short drive downtown, and an even shorter drive to the Mills, and you have grocery stores near by no matter where you are in the city. As long as you know which part of town to keep away from you are fine.

As far as the schools go, I know they are ranked very very low. When I went to Valley it wasn't all that bad. It may have gotten much worse, because honestly I haven't been back to Valley since I left but once or twice for a football game.

Lower Burrell also isn't a bad area at all, thought the property prices are a bit higher. The schools I know are ranked better, but I'd rather go to Valley all over again then set foot in a Burrell school, but that's my Valley bias coming through lol.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 18,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not totally sure about all that. I know he lives up on the hill and there is a elementary school up there, but his kids are going to Valley. I will ask about it.
Probably lives up Power Drive right up from Valley. Martin Elemtary School is up there. That's still considered New Ken, if you make a left where Martin is and keep going on 7th street road probably a mile or two and you considered in Lower Burrell. If you go right on 7th by Martin then that is all New Ken back that way on back to 7th street extension etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh