U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Pittsburgh Once Again Going to be "America's Most Livable City"?
Yes 13 37.14%
No 22 62.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:01 PM

31,434 posts, read 70,310,169 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh has been rated "America's Most Livable City" more times than any other major U.S. city and has been the darling in recent years in such publications as Fobes, Places Rated Almanac, and The Economist. Our attractive salary-vs.-cost-of-living ratio, educated populace, job outlook, accessibility to health care options, entertainment/recreational amenities, etc. helped to garner us such a revered title in recent years.

Do you think Pittsburgh will once again claim the #1 spot next year? Why or why not?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:07 PM

659 posts, read 1,043,592 times
I think overall our country is doomed to fail, will not get into it but overall, we are toast...however if the experts that predict this somehow are wrong, and I pray that they are...then I would say out of all the possible cities, ours included, we have an excellent chance to be number one because we are as a whole, very conservative fiscally...and most here have good work ethics and do not rely on welfare. We are a beautiful diverse city with lost of affordable housing, interesting architecture and draw interesting people to the area...however because our country will soon collapse, well...hopefully they are wrong, but I ain't gonna hold my breath!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:53 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,243,192 times
If not #1, it will rank high as it usually has since this survey began in 1985. While we don't score the highest in any partuclar category that they measure, we're consistently good in all categories, which gives us an advantage over many other cities. Some cities may score higher in culture or transportation, but their crime rate or cost of living brings them down. We're generally pretty good in all categories for a high quality of life.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:12 PM

18,717 posts, read 28,271,984 times
It will rank in the top five, which is what matters.

The choice of who gets #1 is pretty meaningless, IMO. The honor gets moved around, depending on which town Forbes wants to attract readers from. It's also a way to share the wealth, and (IMO) sometimes to help influence a specific situation. For example, Forbes might want to nudge Shell towards choosing Pittsburgh which could give them a reason to give it the #1 spot. On the other hand, being in the top five has a lot of meaning, and Pittsburgh is sure to be there.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 PM

4,276 posts, read 6,885,193 times
Not if public transportation goes downhill

Old 11-30-2011, 03:28 PM

20,273 posts, read 29,973,062 times
I answered "no" just to make the point that eventually declining house prices everywhere else while house prices increase steadily here will erode some of our cost-of-living advantage. How exactly that will play out in the rankings in any given year, I don't know, but it is something to keep in mind.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,775,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I answered "no" just to make the point that eventually declining house prices everywhere else while house prices increase steadily here will erode some of our cost-of-living advantage. How exactly that will play out in the rankings in any given year, I don't know, but it is something to keep in mind.
Yeah, but those same cities with plunging house prices also have higher than average unemployment.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 PM

20,273 posts, read 29,973,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Yeah, but those same cities with plunging house prices also have higher than average unemployment.
The worst cases tend to be high on both measures, but pretty much every other large metro has seen price declines since peak, even the ones with relatively low unemployment. But not Pittsburgh.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:48 AM
gg

21,596 posts, read 20,518,868 times
I answered "no" because you only put THE most livable. I think Pittsburgh will be in the top 5. We are actually sitting in a perfect position right now, but those kind of ratings don't like to have on city on the top spot all the time and they will probably give an edge to some other city, even though it is really hard to argue against Pittsburgh at the moment. Being someone that cycles and walks all over the city, I am still in awe about how fast Pittsburgh city limits are improving. It is mind-blowing to me! Highland Park is going crazy! Morningside looks pretty good right now. East Liberty, do I need to say anything more? I am very tempted to start investing in Larimer. It is small and can easily be changed. I think it is just a matter of time. I mean it is a flat easy walk to East Liberty's downtown. Great location. That place is going to go soon enough because places like Highland Park are getting SO expensive!

Anyway if you poll said will Pittsburgh be in the top 5, I would have answer yes.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,625,587 times
We get so much positive attention we're in danger of becoming overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh