Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 PM

20 posts, read 29,035 times

Advertisements

as a mixed family we are a minority every where. whats the general attitude in the burgh like. thanks for any insights given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
By and large you'll be fine. I've been in a mixed race relationship in Pittsburgh for ~5 years and haven't had any negative experiences, not even a single anecdote. It's really hardly worth the effort of listing Pittsburgh's diverse neighborhoods, since I would say you should be choosing where to live based on other factors. Are you looking to move here? If so, can you tell us the following:

-Budget
-Desired housing type (buying or renting? apartment or house? yard? garage?)
-Neighborhood needs (public transit options, parks, walkability, car friendly, shopping, etc.)
-Where you'd be working (if you know)

If you absolutely feel the need to be in a diverse neighborhood, the standard recommendation for a family would be where I live, the Central Northside / Mexican War Streets. The neighborhood is very close to 50 - 50 black/white and I haven't felt any hostile feelings from people of either race. But honestly, race is going to be so much of a non-issue here that you shouldn't be worrying about it too much. The one exception may be with whatever school your children go to, I imagine it could be rough to be a mixed race kid in a school with a racially homogeneous student body. School can be hard enough as it is without throwing that into the equation.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:41 PM

20 posts, read 29,035 times
hi thanks for responding,you are spot on about the schools being the most important consideration right now.they have been in a pre dominatly one race school thier whole lives and it hasn,t gone well, mind you the issues have mostly been with the teachers and staff not the other kids.they are also predominatly one race.a progressive and varied staff would be great.the younger generation seems to be much more accepting of racial differences these days thank god! we are looking for a home under 100k.and are flexible on all the other considerations thanks.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
In fact lots of the City schools which are well-regarded by parents also have a healthy mix of black and white students.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:14 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
I went to a high school with a mix of black and white students. Neither group associated with one another with the exception of some "wannabe" white dudes. Not much racial tension that I remember though, just don't get on the wrong side of either group or you could risk getting jumped regardless of race.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:44 PM

659 posts, read 1,145,787 times
Why can't people just live somewhere and not care what kind of area it is? I am sorry but it makes no sense to me...white people are not the majority, there are people everywhere, if people don't want to like you, they will find a reason not too...I am white, married and straight and I get jerks now and then who find dumb reasons to put me down...you always have the ignorant among you, the trick is to simply not care...don't give your power away..its yours

Old 12-01-2011, 04:41 PM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
Why can't people just live somewhere and not care what kind of area it is? I am sorry but it makes no sense to me...white people are not the majority, there are people everywhere, if people don't want to like you, they will find a reason not too...I am white, married and straight and I get jerks now and then who find dumb reasons to put me down...you always have the ignorant among you, the trick is to simply not care...don't give your power away..its yours
What?

Old 12-02-2011, 07:15 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
Yet another white person who doesn't get it... Please stop trying to represent 'us' thanks.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:34 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
In fact lots of the City schools which are well-regarded by parents also have a healthy mix of black and white students.

Linden, Fulton, Cappa, Sci Tech, Obama, and Allderdice comes to mind.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:50 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times
Areas to consider:
West:
Windgap, Ingram PA, Corliss, Elliot

North:
Mexican War Streets/Central Northside EAST of Federal St
Manchester SOUTH of Liverpool St
East Allegheny WEST of the highway (West Dutchtown)
Pretty much all of Observatory Hill (Perry North & Brighton Heights)

East:
Upper Hill aka Schenley Heights aka SugarTop
Friendship
Point Breeze North
East Liberty SOUTH of the Blvd (excluding East Liberty Gardens & Penn Plaza)
Southern part of Highland Park
Southern part of Staton Heights
Regent Square
Swissvale PA, EAST of the busway mainly near Swisshlem Park
PARTS of Wilkinsburg, PA
PARTS of Penn Hills, PA

South/SE/SW:
Mt Washington, Brookline, PRETTY MUCH ALL of West Homestead PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh