Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I would always like to see the weather data of when there is actual "grey" days. When I mean "grey", I mean low hanging depressing colorless days.

Those seem to be majority in February and march.
They can be the majority in other months too.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 07:54 PM

443 posts, read 600,600 times
I guarantee if you try to add up the days of low hanging grey clouds from May-November you would not go very long with more than 2 or 3 in a row. Again, My recollection of outdoor days in spring-mid december is typically able to go outside and enjoy myself.

This is coming from a very active person who spends at least 2 hours a day outside running. If I would create a spreadsheet throughout the year of days I go outside running to days I went to the JCC because it was too cloudy and crappy out to exercise outside hey would far favor the days outside.

I tend to think many people weigh more heavy on the negative days then the positive days. Like I said, we are talking complete crappy depressing days. Not cumulus puffy cloud days that don't hinder outdoor activity.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:25 AM

301 posts, read 1,327,223 times
Two words: snow tires!

Old 12-16-2011, 11:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
So are you guys expecting a white Christmas?

Old 12-16-2011, 11:34 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The ten-day suggests it will be too warm, but accuracy is so low at that range that doesn't mean much.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:40 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,811 times
I've really come around to winter weather. Up until just a few years ago I really hated cold weather, so much so that I considered moving. It's gradually grown on me over the past few years, and now I'm finding myself bummed out over the lack of snow so far this season.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
If our forefathers, who crossed wind-driven prairies, suffered cataclysmic blizzards, floods, locusts and actual cloudy days, had the same attitudes as many people today about the weather ("It's too cold! It's not sunny enough for me every day! I don't like snow, it's too wet!"), rest assured we would have never populated the continent.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:02 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
If our forefathers, who crossed wind-driven prairies, suffered cataclysmic blizzards, floods, locusts and actual cloudy days, had the same attitudes as many people today about the weather ("It's too cold! It's not sunny enough for me every day! I don't like snow, it's too wet!"), rest assured we would have never populated the continent.
So you think they enjoyed being cold and wet? Or do you think they just put up with it?

I bet that if you gave them the option of 40 and sleet or 65 and sun that they'd pick the second. There's a difference between something being bearable and something being enjoyable.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:11 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
I just think that we got soft and lazy and we're not as hardy a stock as our ancestors. If they had been as wimpy as we are, nobody would be living in Minneapolis.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:12 PM

268 posts, read 374,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
White Christmas in the Burgh? Hahaha that's a funny one. As Sealite described before, from Nov-Mar the weather in the Burgh gets very sickening. It gets infected with a cancer that causes depressing grey skies minus the abundance of pretty white snow. This week is a sneak preview of what sloppiness and depression to expect here in the Burgh! The upcoming forecast seems pretty normal.

Sat - mostly dreary (the sun could pop out for 2 minutes!)
Sun - bleak and dreary with a chance of snow
Mon - partly cloudy (don't count on it)
Tue - bleak and dreary with rain
Wed - bleak and dreary with rain/snow mixed (aka SLOPPY)
Thu - partly cloudy (pray to God that happens)
Fri - bleak and dreary
Sat - mostly dreary (the sun could pop out for 2 minutes!)
Sun - bleak and dreary with rain showers (CHRISTMAS DAY)

So basically Christmas Day will be too warm and it will rain! In fact I can predict low hanging ugly dark grey cloudcover and moderate rainfall on Christmas Day in the Burgh. It looks like Erie, PA could have a white Christmas. Of course it will be bleak and dreary, but at least it has the potential to be a White Christmas there. I will be home in NEPA for Christmas Eve/Day and hopefully they will get snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh