Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 05:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times

Advertisements

Hi there
We are now looking at mt. lebanon, upper st. clair and s. fayette areas to move into. Hopefully when we visit next week, we will be able to see all areas and schools.

One of our boys has an IEP and receives resource reading. Does anyone know if one of these areas are better than the other with regards to receiving special ed? And also does the iep get transferred from NY or is there a new process that he would have to go thru? A smart kid, just has problems comprehending reading material?

Thanks
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 03:59 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
I wish you luck in finding the best school for your son. As you are probably aware, USC is ranked (I think for standardized test scores) as the top school district in the state, Mt. Lebo 6th, and South Fayette was 12th in 2011. But this ranking doesn't mean much for what you are looking for. Interview with some of the teachers your son will work with for the next couple of years is probably the best indicator. If you could find teachers or former teachers to talk with outside of school, they might be able to give you an interesting perspective. Another possiblity is to talk to someone who has been or is a substitute teacher in all three of these school districts in special ed./learning support. I'm sure there are people in the South Hills who have worked as subs in all three districts and would be in a unique position to compare their programs and teachers. All three districts probably do an excellent job but I still would want the very best for my child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh