Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
See if only the dogs left, and just the people who run right at each other with batons and tree branches were allowed in the park, it would be so much nicer.
Good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 03:58 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,529 times
From this thread I've learned that Pittsburgh's parks are realms where feral beasts roam free with reckless intent while its human inhabitants are a mixture of Walking Tall and Death Wish.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
So you randomly run directly at people you don't know, with a weapon?
Hoping to provoke the dog/owner into doing something so you can threaten the owner?
And the dog is the problem?

See if only the dogs left, and just the people who run right at each other with batons and tree branches were allowed in the park, it would be so much nicer.

I go in to the park minding my own business. I go to run, I go to ride, I go to walk, and just generally enjoy. I follow IMBA rules while biking, always follow trail etiquette and stay on my own side of the trails so that others can enjoy the pArk. It's when others, mostly dog owners, don't return that simple courtesy to me that I get upset. It's a huge problem in the park and now it's spilling in to our neighborhood.

Would you like it if a stranger wandered up to you in a 560 pus acre park when you are minding your own business?

Old 01-03-2012, 04:30 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I follow IMBA rules while biking, always follow trail etiquette and stay on my own side of the trails so that others can enjoy the pArk.

like this one?

Never Scare Animals: Animals are easily startled by an unannounced approach, a sudden movement or a loud noise. Give animals enough room and time to adjust to you. When passing horses, use special care and follow directions from the horseback riders (ask if uncertain). Running cattle and disturbing wildlife are serious offenses.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Scott, you are a veteran of that area and do what you have to. Don't pay attention to others that are armchair quarterbacks. I have been there a couple of times an the dog owners seem to want to prove some point by showing all they don't need to have their dogs on a leach. That is what I encountered. I think fighting fire with fire is a good idea. I mean you have the right to be able to jog through the park without all the hassle. Don't you? I mean the dog owners are at fault. They ARE breaking the law!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,102 times
I HEREBY DECLARE THAT ANY DOG FOUND OFF THE LEASE IN A CITY PARK BE SHOT ON SITE..NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!.....Just kidding.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 01-03-2012 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 04:44 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,244 times
I have never taken my dog to frick honestly I just play tennis there and my kids run around. I'm going to start though.

I have to admit, I do not know exactly where they are allowed to be off a leash, and where it turns illegal. Though I'm pretty sure threatening people with a weapon is illegal in the entire park.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:59 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua teen carl View Post
from this thread i've learned that pittsburgh's parks are realms where feral beasts roam free with reckless intent while its human inhabitants are a mixture of walking tall and death wish.
ftw!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
like this one?

Never Scare Animals: Animals are easily startled by an unannounced approach, a sudden movement or a loud noise. Give animals enough room and time to adjust to you. When passing horses, use special care and follow directions from the horseback riders (ask if uncertain). Running cattle and disturbing wildlife are serious offenses.
My approach is never unannounced: if I'm passing from behind I always alert the other user I'm passing. And Im 6 foot tall with red hair, if you can't see me coming at you, y OK u have a problem.

And bottom line, there are signs all around the park saying ALL DOGS MUST BE ON A LEASH,

Old 01-04-2012, 04:33 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think a lot of people think that their dogs are special widdle well-trained snowflakes, and the leash laws don't apply to them.
Dogs, kids, all the same.
Owners, parents don't appreciate that their charges and behavior affect those around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh