Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:07 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
It does in fact confer a credible threat upon my person if you're attacking my dog which would 99.99% likely be right next to me.
To defend my dog, I might consider a gun, though I don't have a dog at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Would you go to jail for that? Does the "self-defense" concept extend to one's canine companion?
The disparity of force between a dog mace and a handgun is huge and he'd do many many years if that was the case.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:54 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The disparity of force between a dog mace and a handgun is huge and he'd do many many years if that was the case.
That's what I was afraid of. There always seems to be a better reason not to carry a gun. I'd probably shoot someone, thinking I had the right, and I'd be the one to end up in jail. I think I'll stick with gun-free.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
That's what I was afraid of. There always seems to be a better reason not to carry a gun. I'd probably shoot someone, thinking I had the right, and I'd be the one to end up in jail. I think I'll stick with gun-free.
You would only be in for 20 years, give or take. I mean it isn't that long.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,425 times
Quote:
You mace my dog, I put a bullet in you.
I realize that you like to talk about carrying (and potentially using) a gun because it makes you feel good, but:

(1) It's incredibly unlikely that anyone is going to be at all interested in macing your dog unless it's attacking them.

(2) This would land you a murder charge probably.

(3) Even if the person was macing you, you would still, almost without question, be charged with manslaughter or murder.

(4) If you think that your dog's or even your own eyes burning for a few minutes is worth shooting someone, perhaps you should reconsider your choice to carry around a gun. Loose cannon?

(5) I don't see why someone that "wouldn't be at all uncomfortable walking around Homewood at 3AM" would feel the need to carry a gun.

Honestly, the empty gun threats assine and childish.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:23 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Fortunately there's no such thing as your magical little disparity of force that automatically gauges whether it was justified!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I realize that you like to talk about carrying (and potentially using) a gun because it makes you feel good, but:

(1) It's incredibly unlikely that anyone is going to be at all interested in macing your dog unless it's attacking them.

(2) This would land you a murder charge probably.

(3) Even if the person was macing you, you would still, almost without question, be charged with manslaughter or murder.

(4) If you think that your dog's or even your own eyes burning for a few minutes is worth shooting someone, perhaps you should reconsider your choice to carry around a gun. Loose cannon?

(5) I don't see why someone that "wouldn't be at all uncomfortable walking around Homewood at 3AM" would feel the need to carry a gun.

1) And thus incredibly unlikely I'd have to shoot someone for doing it.
2) Probably not, no.
3) Likely not, no.
4) If you don't think it's valid to defend yourself against someone using a chemical weapon against you which can incapacitate you to the point of being unable to defend yourself, perhaps you should reconsider your choice to live in a society where your options are more than just "Frown and take what the bad man decides to do to you."
5) I don't see how that's relevant.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post

And lastly, I don't think you understand what a threat is. I simply voiced my stance of "If you attack me or my dog, I will defend with justified force."

Old 01-02-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
And lastly, I don't think you understand what a threat is. I simply voiced my stance of "If you attack me or my dog, I will defend with justified force."
I think "I put a bullet in you," which is in fact exactly what you said, is a threat, regardless of whether or not it is conditional upon some other action.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
2) Probably not, no.
3) Likely not, no.
So there are a lot of qualifiers regarding when it is appropriate for using deadly force, and admittedly there is a ton of case law that I don't know. But, a principal factor in deciding whether or not to use deadly force is whether your agressor has a perceived intent of harming you. I think if a person carrying mace points it away from you and towards your dog, it's perfectly clear that the intent was not to harm you.

And I'm not at all advocating that anyone should be running around macing animals, but the idea that you're going to kill someone over your dog's burning eyes is so messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh