Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:36 PM

5 posts, read 13,149 times

Advertisements

wow, thanks for all the responses.

Not sure what to do at this point. When everybody says "southside," what townships does that include. I've been primarily looking at north side apartments thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 04:59 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,951 times
The "South Side" is a part of the city, just south (and a little east) of Downtown. The South Side Flats is an area along the Monongahela River and the South Side Slopes is the adjacent hill side. The South Side has lots of bars and plenty of other shops/restaurants etc. It's a hip, urban, and somewhat gritty neighborhood. The place is crawling with younger people at night and on the weekends. It would be a noisy place to live, but I'd say it's pretty safe. I'm not sure how long of a commute it would be though... Maybe someone else can answer that.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:11 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
Do not go any farther away than Moon. Leetsdale is on the Allegheny/ Beaver County border. Hopewell, Center, Chippewa, and Moon are the only places that have apartments. Ambridge does too, but I would never recommend Ambridge to anybody.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:56 PM

46 posts, read 31,433 times
I would recommend Moon, I've looked at a few decent apartment complexes there in my past for around $600-800 being about 700-770 sq feet or there is this place near Robinson.. called Chestnut Ridge Apartments and it goes for $550-650 for a 660 sq foot apt depending on the promotion they are running.

If you really get in a bind there is an efficiency/studio place in Robinson owned by a hotel and you go in the hotel and ask for one of them. (I forget the hotel name but I could easily find the name for you if you want..) They are rented out for about $612 a month and you don't have to sign any contract to stay. It is basically like being in a hotel with the free tv.. gas.. etc.. but its an efficiency/studio. You don't pay any of the bills except internet if you decide to get that hooked up. It isn't a bad place, but most people prefer an actual bed than one that pulls out from the wall.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:34 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,668 times
Yeah, I had the same problem in Moon with prices when searching for a place to live while going to RMU. There are somewhat affordable places in Moon (I live in a very spacious 1 bedroom for 499$ plus electric a month) but you have to search for them big time and even call around to different places. I can give you a few numbers if you're interested though.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:16 PM

79 posts, read 221,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersb View Post
wow, thanks for all the responses.

Not sure what to do at this point. When everybody says "southside," what townships does that include. I've been primarily looking at north side apartments thus far.
oh christ, stay away from the north side. unless you mean north hills.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 14,138 times
Default Where to live in Pgh

You will find more night life, culture and a more youthful and diverse population if you live in the areas right around the city or in the city. Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Edgewood, Regent Square (just lovely with many apartments.) With the exception of Shadyside these neighborhoods have direct access to the main highways. If you live in Shadyside you will have to drive just a little further to get on the highway. These areas are near the universities and definitely have a more diverse population. We lived in Regent Square for 10 years and loved every minute of it! The more remote suburbs will likely be more family oriented.
Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2007, 05:02 AM

46 posts, read 31,433 times
I agree Squirrel Hill is good but I've never really looked at apartments there so I can't give price ranges or anything like I did for Moon/Robinson.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:32 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,446 times
For proximity to both Leetsdale and to the city for the nite-life, as well as ease of being able to quickly find an apartment rental, I'd say Cranberry, Sewickley, Chippewa, Wexford, Warrendale, or Ambridge.

blessings, Shen

Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 AM

79 posts, read 221,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
For proximity to both Leetsdale and to the city for the nite-life, as well as ease of being able to quickly find an apartment rental, I'd say Cranberry, Sewickley, Chippewa, Wexford, Warrendale, or Ambridge.

blessings, Shen
i agree with you, but have you ever actually been to the TOWN on Warrendale? It's like, 6 old houses with siding falling off and a Car performance garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh