Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:45 AM

733 posts, read 987,040 times

Advertisements

Allegheny County Council OKs 1-mill tax hike
PPG

Quote:
The new tax rate is 5.69 mills, up from 4.69 mills. It is the first millage increase under the 12-year-old executive-council form of government.
More specifically, though, I'm a bit confused by this:

Quote:
The $11 million county-wide property reassessment is almost complete, and Ms. Heidelbaugh warned that the 1 mill increase passed by council could run afoul of state assessment rules. The increase is equal to a 21 percent millage hike, and state law limits property tax increases in an assessment year to no more than 5 percent without court approval.

County council solicitor John Cambest said council was on firm legal ground in passing the increase for two reasons. Members had no assurance that the new assessment numbers would be adopted for 2012, he said. While it is very likely that the total assessed value of all real estate in the county will rise, council members cannot know what effect the new assessment numbers will have on taxes for the average property owner, he said.
I realize that I don't have a great understanding of this process. I'm having trouble understanding how this tax rate increase is not going to violate the anti-windfall law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:14 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Allegheny County Council OKs 1-mill tax hike
PPG

I realize that I don't have a great understanding of this process. I'm having trouble understanding how this tax rate increase is not going to violate the anti-windfall law.
I was also wondering about how this will affect city residents vs. other county residents since we city residents are getting our assessments this month and the rest of the county, last I read, was on an "early spring" timeframe. As county taxes are paid in February, does that mean that city residents get a double increase while others do not? Or will the county have to retroactively adjust once all assessments are final to avoid the anti-windfall law?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
1. Promote the city as America's most livable
2. Get the slogan stuck in people's minds
3. Raise taxes
4. Raise value of properties
5. Have people from out of town move here with these new high property values and taxes in place while still thinking about said slogan
6. $$$

Sometimes I wonder.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Ouch! More tax increases to an area that is taxed to death by the schools. Yahoo! One thing for sure, this is no place to retire.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post

I don't understand it either. My school district just raised taxes the max without going to court, now the county can raise my taxes over 20% more? Do we have any protection? Is it worth owning a home in our region or rent? I don't know if it is really worth owning homes in this area or not? One thing for sure, our taxes keep going up every year with no end in sight.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
When you have taxpayer money to spend in going to
Court & hiring lawyers it makes passing things with hazy legalities easier.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 AM

53 posts, read 124,089 times
I admit my absolute and total ignorance in this area and I hope I'm reading this wrong, but does this mean anyone with a home in Allegheny county will see their property taxes go up 21% next year?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Ouch! More tax increases to an area that is taxed to death by the schools. Yahoo! One thing for sure, this is no place to retire.
Don't get me wrong, I really love the city of Pittsburgh and enjoy every visit there.

However, the fact that property taxes seem to increase every year along with the potential PAT service cuts, is causing me to seriously re-think where I will relocate in the future.

Sounds like the politicians there are doing everything they can to ruin Pittsburgh's chance to gain population, and doing everything they can to cause more residents to move.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,510 times
Somehow KDKA managed to interview four people last night what basically had no problem with the increase, and "what has to be done, has to be done." Sorry, I find it delusional to think that this increase will actually help anything.

All I can say is, this is why Cranberry Township, Peters Township, and North Huntington are so appealing.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:45 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Somehow KDKA managed to interview four people last night what basically had no problem with the increase, and "what has to be done, has to be done." Sorry, I find it delusional to think that this increase will actually help anything.

All I can say is, this is why Cranberry Township, Peters Township, and North Huntington are so appealing.
Just a great example of Pittsburgher's constant "Que Sera, Sera" attitude when it comes to politics or authority. How about you know.... cutting some waste instead of more tax and spend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh