Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times

Advertisements

It seems some people want to ignore the facts that Uniontown has an average crime rate and a vibrant downtown, and instead focus on the negative. If people in Pittsburgh were this negative, downtown wouldn't have new apartments and condos selling out, East Liberty wouldn't have a Target, and the McCook mansion would have been left abandoned. Fortunately, there are a lot of people in Uniontown who believe in their town, as evidenced by how beautiful it is there and all the revitalization that is occurring. I don't know why it bothers some Uniontown natives when someone visits their town and says how nice it is. Why should that bother you? Why do you want everyone to see your town as something bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 05:02 AM

48 posts, read 103,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Not sure what crime statistics you're checking but Uniontown is mentioned quite often on the Pittsburgh TV news for crime. Does this sound like a town with a low crime rate?

Gang of teenage girls continues to terrorize Uniontown - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Have lived in Uniontown my whole life and never had any crime issues here. I think if you are careful and don't put yourself in inappropriate situations, lock doors and are aware of your surroundings most places are safe. But Uniontown, come on this place is not dangerous.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
It seems some people want to ignore the facts that Uniontown has an average crime rate and a vibrant downtown, and instead focus on the negative. If people in Pittsburgh were this negative, downtown wouldn't have new apartments and condos selling out, East Liberty wouldn't have a Target, and the McCook mansion would have been left abandoned. Fortunately, there are a lot of people in Uniontown who believe in their town, as evidenced by how beautiful it is there and all the revitalization that is occurring. I don't know why it bothers some Uniontown natives when someone visits their town and says how nice it is. Why should that bother you? Why do you want everyone to see your town as something bad?
Some of the people in that area tend to be those who are backwards thinking, I'm sure you already knew that but this is Fayette County were talking about. The scenery may be beautiful but some of the people simply aren't that bright, not to offend anyone else in that county who has the slightest amount of common sense.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:09 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Quote:
Comparing people in Uniontown to people in Pittsburgh is apples/oranges.

Uniontown: no major universities, not a lot of job or career opportunities, people lack education, the biggest employer was and may still be the government, no major sports teams, no international airport.... well you get the picture.

As for the "revitalization"? That was by one egomaniac who thought he could turn the town around. Spent a fortune of his own money and it did squat. Quite difficult to do when the average yearly salary of the town is around 20k per year and no one wants to invest in this black hole on earth.

Santa in Uniontown

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...alization.html < (post #3 sums it up)

Most people I know who made it out, are glad they did so. They have thriving careers and real life experiences. The ones I know who never left, seem to be lacking in communication skills, career prospects, current events and are just plain lost in life.

Go spend every other weekend there, tell us about all of the things there are to do. I took my gal from Atlanta up there and we covered everything in the city and surrounding areas in 3 days. She won't go back, lol.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
If you grew up less than a mile from Pershing Court, then you must know that you grew up in the absolute worst area of Uniontown. Surely, you must know that there is more to Uniontown than the rat-infested dump called East End, right? If that's all you've ever known of Uniontown, then I kind of feel sorry for you. Obviously, you had a very poor childhood.
Now, now.. these types of personal attacks aren't helpful to the discussion. Don't ever try and get a job as a Profiler... I had an excellent childhood.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:01 AM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times
A lot of your comments seem to contradict each other. You say that we cannot compare Pittsburgh to Uniontown because it's comparing apples to oranges. I don't disagree and I doubt anyone else does either. But, you originally compared Uniontown to the Hill District, which started all of this nonsense to begin with. Which is it?

Again, you claim the area is dangerous and say that you know because you grew up there and saw some sh*t, then you claim that you had a good childhood. Which is it? Either Uniontown is a violent hellhole and you grew up there and had a terrible childhood, or you had a good childhood and didn't witness violence at all. If you had such a good childhood growing up in Uniontown, why all the negativity about the place? Why the comparison to the Hill District? Your statements aren't consistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Comparing people in Uniontown to people in Pittsburgh is apples/oranges.
Quote:
Yes everyone needs to run to Uniontown for a visit! Don't worry, no one has been murdered since 2002. You'll be perfectly ok as long as you visit at 4pm, take a couple of pics, and leave town immediately. Be sure not to stray to far away from the cute little restaurant or theater though - bad things might happen to people who have been told about this "nice little city". And considering I grew up less than a mile away from this incident below, and then delivered pizza in and around the Hill District later in life, I might just know what I'm talking about.
Quote:
I had an excellent childhood.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
A lot of your comments seem to contradict each other. You say that we cannot compare Pittsburgh to Uniontown because it's comparing apples to oranges. I don't disagree and I doubt anyone else does either. But, you originally compared Uniontown to the Hill District, which started all of this nonsense to begin with. Which is it?

Again, you claim the area is dangerous and say that you know because you grew up there and saw some sh*t, then you claim that you had a good childhood. Which is it? Either Uniontown is a violent hellhole and you grew up there and had a terrible childhood, or you had a good childhood and didn't witness violence at all. If you had such a good childhood growing up in Uniontown, why all the negativity about the place? Why the comparison to the Hill District? Your statements aren't consistant.
First, I was responding to Allegheny Angel, first regarding the crime, and then the revitalization.

Second, the topic is Uniontown, not me. I am flattered by your puppy dog attention, though.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:11 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,657 times
I have actually been thinking about a comparison to Uniontown because the Hill District is just far too different. A mon valley town such as West Mifflin would better fit the bill, both were once more dominant than they are now and have a certain sense of being a "forgotten city".

Old 12-11-2011, 07:59 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
As for the "revitalization"? That was by one egomaniac who thought he could turn the town around. Spent a fortune of his own money and it did squat. Quite difficult to do when the average yearly salary of the town is around 20k per year and no one wants to invest in this black hole on earth.
I guess you would prefer downtown Uniontown to look like South Brownsville or McKeesport? Instead, downtown Uniontown is vibrant and pretty and has more in common with downtown Greensburg. We should be thanking people who invest money in fixing up these downtowns. That's what these places need! Cities (even small ones) that do not invest in their downtowns are allowing all development to move to the suburbs.

There are quite a few businesses and upscale restaurants along Uniontown's Main Street, along with the restored theater. That is way more than many downtowns in the region have, especially considering the population is only 10k.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 12-11-2011 at 08:08 AM..

Old 12-11-2011, 05:02 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Crime statistics for Uniontown can be found on the city-data site here: //www.city-data.com/city/Uniont...nsylvania.html

As you will be able to see, the statistics are comparable to the US average crime index. Uniontown hasn't had a homicide since 2002.
This murder occurred in North Union Township just outside Uniontown.

Man stabbed to death in Fayette County
Sunday, December 11, 2011
By Karen Kane: kkane@post-gazette.com or at 724-772-9180.,
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A Fayette County man was stabbed to death during a domestic dispute and his partner has been arrested, according to authorities.

Ronald Mudery, 47, of Lemont Furnace, was pronounced dead at 10 p.m. Saturday at Allegheny General Hospital, North Side.

An autopsy will be conducted today by the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office.

State police at Uniontown said Debra A. Becker, 41, has been charged with criminal homicide.

The incident occurred at their home on Turkeyfoot Road in North Union Township.

Police said Ms. Becker also was injured.

A spokesman for the medical examiner said Mr. Mudery was stabbed multiple times in his abdomen.

Read more: Man stabbed to death in Fayette County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh