Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:58 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Wow. A member on this sub-forum who is now a borough councilman sent me a private message a couple of weeks ago and just about "sold" me on the idea of buying my first home in Millvale. I sort of concur that it has a run-down and "yinzer"-like vibe to it (I, too, see a lot of unkempt-looking people in full-clad Steelers attire wandering the streets whenever I go there); however, I also always thought it had amazing potential given its prime location. Polish Hill, my own neighborhood, looks run-down and has yinzers pouring out of every nook and cranny, yet this neighborhood has become "discovered" now and is cleaning up its act as it is one of the last safe and affordable strongholds in the East End.

I suppose I'm still inclined to be an optimist in regards to Millvale, despite the allegations of racism, the flooding, the run-down homes, and the presence of so many yinzers (after all, they'll die off eventually, right?) AlleghenyAngel is happy in Stowe Township, which has a similar reputation. I'm happy in Polish Hill, even though Shadysiders probably turn their noses up in the air if you say you live here. Millvale just seems to be a diamond in the rough in my eyes.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Personally, flooding would be a deal breaker for me. From my understanding the "hey day" for Millvale was cut short due to constant flooding and it has persisted since. I don't think there will be any real revitalization in the area due to this either.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
There is a flood zone in Millvale that you can avoid personally (whether it is keeping the area from revitalizing in general is a different question).

By the way, I also consider Millvale to be an honorary member of Pittsburgh's blue-collar/hipster belt (including also Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, and Polish Hill).

Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Personally, flooding would be a deal breaker for me. From my understanding the "hey day" for Millvale was cut short due to constant flooding and it has persisted since. I don't think there will be any real revitalization in the area due to this either.
Flooding is a concern in parts of Millvale due to the massive parking lot on McKnight Road and very poor planning up that way with runoff. What else is new? Anyway, flooding is still rare. We did have a few perfect storms in the past decade and places that hardly ever flood did. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Millvale is unlike Lawrenceville and Bloomfield because it lacks that eclectic feel. On the other hand, it has some very cool stores. A real Frenchman and that bakery of his right in the middle of that place is an interesting fit. Mr. Smalls anyone? I have walked all over Millvale and have realized I don't think it is for me. I love the shopping places that I have mentioned and I actually like the downtown and the park by the river rocks. You can actually cross the street to get to it now because they put in a couple of traffic lights. Before, it was like taking your life into your own hands. Anyway, it wasn't for me because it is really pretty full of a real backwards element. There are places that have lots of working class folk, like Morningside, but the feel is totally different. Morningside is full of work trucks, but they seem to be more educated as a whole. I am not sure why Millvale has so many tough characters that let the homes fall apart as well as their vehicles and themselves to be quite honest.

As far as the black comment and Millvale. I don't know about that. There seems to be all races around there, but mostly white I guess. It is a tough little place though and that might make some black folks a bit uneasy. Don't know.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 AM

408 posts, read 991,603 times
I think Millvale is one of the best bangs-for-the-buck around.

The best asset I think is the Millvale Riverfront Park. You can walk/ride a bike to the north shore on the trail, or put a boat in the water there.

It's very easy access to downtown, strip, Lawrenceville, and the other East End neighborhoods, or for shopping to Ross Park or Pgh Mills (if you have a car).

There's a lot of decent shops like Pamelas Diner and Lincoln Pharmacy, the french bakery, a great used music store, Yetters candies, and Mr Smalls. Sidelines is great spot to drink and watch a game if you like a big beer selection, good burgers or wings at good prices and aren't looking for something upscale.

There's also a farmer's market during the week and a bunch of events throughout the year - Millvale Days, Beer fest, Wine fest, etc.

The downside are that the housing is a rundown (like a lot of these river towns) and there's slightly more than average number of trashy looking folks hanging around - but I don't think there's any serious issues.. And of course it has a heaping serving of that yinzer charm.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:54 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
Millvale would be OK if they had a few more places to eat. Before a show at Mr. Smalls, the only thing open is a Subway (or maybe a dive bar or two). They need a few more things that will be open into the evening at least to grab a quick bite. Crazy Mocha? McDonalds? Something....

Old 12-08-2011, 10:06 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Millvale would be OK if they had a few more places to eat. Before a show at Mr. Smalls, the only thing open is a Subway (or maybe a dive bar or two). They need a few more things that will be open into the evening at least to grab a quick bite. Crazy Mocha? McDonalds? Something....
Lots of places to eat. Go to Grant's Bar. There is a Hardee's if you want that fast food fix. I am sure there is pizza there, but haven't tried any. Lots of the little bars serve food. Sidelines is good by the way.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:18 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
the presence of so many yinzers (after all, they'll die off eventually, right?)

dude, sorry, but you officially suck.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:20 AM

10 posts, read 21,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I suppose I'm still inclined to be an optimist in regards to Millvale, despite the allegations of racism, the flooding, the run-down homes, and the presence of so many yinzers (after all, they'll die off eventually, right?) .
Once the yinzers die off, the floods will end.

But lol seriously, hopefully some hipsters move across the river. I heard an artisinal sandwich shop might move to Millvale. That and a coffee shop would liven things up.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
lol Pittsburgh's the answer to all my problems except the people who are from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh