Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Scott could write the Yinzer version of Jeff foxworthy's "You Might Be a Redneck If" series!
Ha, this is fun! Here's more!

A yinzer is someone who drives a pick up with Steelers and Bass Pro Shops decals on their truck, and can't stand being passed bh someone driving a German car.

A yinzer is someone who will give you the finger because you watch traffic ahead of you and calculate your lane changes smoothly, when they aren't smart enough to react to traffic until the last second
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:33 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
A yinzer is someone who drives a pick up with Steelers and Bass Pro Shops decals on their truck, and can't stand being passed bh someone driving a German car.

A yinzer is someone who will give you the finger because you watch traffic ahead of you and calculate your lane changes smoothly, when they aren't smart enough to react to traffic until the last second
Lol, sounds like someone is a terrible driver & blames their lack of said skill on others

Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
He might also be an outspoken atheist (that's just based on one particular experience, but it was a very interesting conversation).
If this conversation happened in Lawrenceville, you are probably describing my father.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:00 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post

Oh, I didn't realize how this worked... Let me try:

A yinzer is someone who writes computer programs, but doesn't document their code properly so that any time someone else tries to modify said code, it takes hours to figure out what each function does.

Also, a yinzer is someone who tries to get on the elevator before everyone else has gotten off.

A yinzer is someone who drives their german car too fast through traffic.

A yinzer is someone who, even though they are the last person in line, when a cashier opens a cash register at the grocery store and says "I can take the next person in line," they rush over and get in line first.

Is that accurate? Or was that just me venting about trivial stuff and claiming it is what defines "yinzers?"

Old 12-09-2011, 11:00 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
If this conversation happened in Lawrenceville, you are probably describing my father.
It happened when he was at my place in Regent Square, and I don't know where he lives . . . but I wouldn't be surprised if there were several more members in this club.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
A yinzer is someone who, even though they are the last person in line, when a cashier opens a cash register at the grocery store and says "I can take the next person in line," they rush over and get in line first.
If the cashier is a yinzer, s/he will have said "I can help who's next."

Old 12-09-2011, 11:31 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Steel -- in a nutshell.... You don't call black people the n-word, you don't call Jews the k-word, you don't call gays the f-word, and you don't call Pittburghers the y-word.

The appropriate non cursing term for a nasty vile person in while you are in Pittsburgh is -- JAGOFF.

Stop using yinzer in heated moments. It's thoroughly inappropriate. It's meant to insult, and it does insult, and will only succeed in you getting hurt.

And is it right that people often do refer to themselves and their buddies as yinzers? And you don't get to? Happens all the time -- and even in the animal kingdom. One of my cats HATED one of our other cats, and yet, when an outsider cat went after the cat she hated, she went to his defense, and beat the living daylights out of the attacker. We called that her "You can't do that to my brother; only *I* can do that to my brother" moment.

So stop trying to figure it out, just stop using the term. Using it doesn't make you more a Pittsburgher, it just shows how much farther you need to go to become a Pittsburgher.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:43 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize how this worked... Let me try:

A yinzer is someone who writes computer programs, but doesn't document their code properly so that any time someone else tries to modify said code, it takes hours to figure out what each function does.

Also, a yinzer is someone who tries to get on the elevator before everyone else has gotten off.

A yinzer is someone who drives their german car too fast through traffic.

Is that accurate? Or was that just me venting about trivial stuff and claiming it is what defines "yinzers?"
No, none of this accurate

Old 12-09-2011, 11:56 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
One of my cats HATED one of our other cats, and yet, when an outsider cat went after the cat she hated, she went to his defense, and beat the living daylights out of the attacker. We called that her "You can't do that to my brother; only *I* can do that to my brother" moment.
Did you keep the hater cat? If so, why? I would, and once did, get rid of a pet who picked on my other pets.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
By George, I think you've cracked the code! So now that I know a yinzer is defined by whatever I might find annoying, I guess that means....

A yinzer goes to a cocktail party and can't stop talking about how many graduate degrees he has.

A yinzer blocks the aisles at PetSmart because he brought his 3 Italian Greyhounds in to try on each and every sweater.

A yinzer gets mad when he learns the hard way you can't make someone love you if he just isn't into you. But instead of realizing love stinks, he spends the next several years whining than an entire metro area is to blame for his problems.

Last edited by Caladium; 12-09-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh