Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:06 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

So stop trying to figure it out, just stop using the term. Using it doesn't make you more a Pittsburgher, it just shows how much farther you need to go to become a Pittsburgher.

Nicely said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 12:21 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Did you keep the hater cat? If so, why? I would, and once did, get rid of a pet who picked on my other pets.
Che didn't pick on Basil -- she just didn't like him -- mainly because he always wanted to play with her and she didn't play. The beginning of their relationship was tumultuous, but no out and out fights, and no stalking behaviors. In fact, they would sleep together and groom each other, but Che kept Basil in line. So yes -- we kept her for 19 years, and still mourn her passing to this day.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Why don't you just stop using the term instead of drafting some passive aggressive martyr fantasy that is masquerading as an honest etymological investigation?

And BTW, who doesn't like free beer? Honestly?
Me. It depends upon the beer. I'll pass if it's something i don't like, even if it's free. I have no clue what a yinzer is ( one may consult a dictionary if he is interested, if the term is in the dictionary) but I guess it's related to Pittsburgh since the postcard store in PPG Two has a mat that says "Yinzer welcome".

Old 12-09-2011, 12:46 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I guess it's related to Pittsburgh since the postcard store in PPG Two has a mat that says "Yinzer welcome".
Note that the fact that the word is embraced in so many similar contexts is a clue that it is not defined in negative terms.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 PM

472 posts, read 626,560 times
"Steel -- in a nutshell.... You don't call black people the n-word, you don't call Jews the k-word, you "don't call gays the f-word, and you don't call Pittburghers the y-word.

The appropriate non cursing term for a nasty vile person in while you are in Pittsburgh is -- JAGOFF."

this is not accurate....

Yes, you do NOT call anyone by those derogatory racists, gross terms....but Yinzer is not derogatory...it is not an insult... SCR you insist on using this word as a slur of some sort and we are all just insisting that you not use it since you are missing the point.

Last edited by irishvan; 12-09-2011 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 12:58 PM

675 posts, read 2,098,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Note that the fact that the word is embraced in so many similar contexts is a clue that it is not defined in negative terms.
This was my point above, that when words like this are used to define a group you perceive yourself to be a member of, it generally has a positive connotation. On the other hand, if it is being used to describe a group you do not perceive yourself to be a member of, it comes off sounding condescending. Just the nature of words that label stereotypes.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:03 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
Yes, you do NOT call anyone by those derogatory racists, gross terms....but Yinzer is not derogatory...it is not an insult... SCR you insist on using this word as a slur of some sort and we are all just insisting that you not use it since you are missing the point.
It is sort of like how my maternal grandfather used the term "Mexican". That's not inherently a derogatory term, but it quickly became clear listening to him that HE thought it was a derogatory term.

And although I loved him, there is no doubt he was a bigot (of many sorts--a real Archie Bunker type). And that's what I am trying to help SCR avoid.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:09 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Nicely said!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
SCR, since you've said several times that you want to run for city council, perhaps the most important definition you need to know is: Yinzers are voters.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Yinzers are voters.
And some of them know how to Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh