Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what a typical winter gas bill might be on a 100 yr old, 2500 square foot home, with dual pane windows and a 10 yr old gas furnace? If you have a similar home, I would appreciate any estimate of what your winter gas bills are per month.

Also, does anyone know how Itin Street is in the winter? Icy, hilly roads scare me. Does the city keep it salted? If not, I will be taking the city steps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Does anyone know what a typical winter gas bill might be on a 100 yr old, 2500 square foot home, with dual pane windows and a 10 yr old gas furnace? If you have a similar home, I would appreciate any estimate of what your winter gas bills are per month.

Also, does anyone know how Itin Street is in the winter? Icy, hilly roads scare me. Does the city keep it salted? If not, I will be taking the city steps.
Well this of course depends a lot on you. In the winter, I suspect you might see a $300 bill, but if you keep your thermostat at or around 68 or 65, that can make a difference. I don't know about the street, but don't worry too much. Pittsburgh really doesn't have that many days of wild winter weather. When we do people go crazy, but you will be fine.

Insulation can help greatly. Also, using the sun and opening the blinds can have a factor during winter.

Don't have buyer's remorse. The home you are looking at won't be too bad for gas bills. I believe you only have two exposed sides to that home, correct? That will make a huge difference and if I am correct, that might take $50 off my high estimate. On average in the winter, it might be closer to $200, but that does depend on you. Some people like a home at 72 degrees all the time. That will be more expensive.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 PM

Thanks, h_curtis! It is something of a relief to hear your estimate. Yes, the house is attached on two sides, so I think that may help. The other thing that may help is the house is currently set-up with separate utilities per each of two floors. I think I can live on the lower floor while I renovate the upper, and keep the thermostat very low on the upper floor. I'm definitely not having buyer's remorse -- I just want to carefully research everything before I seal the deal. Thank you!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Thanks, h_curtis! It is something of a relief to hear your estimate. Yes, the house is attached on two sides, so I think that may help. The other thing that may help is the house is currently set-up with separate utilities per each of two floors. I think I can live on the lower floor while I renovate the upper, and keep the thermostat very low on the upper floor. I'm definitely not having buyer's remorse -- I just want to carefully research everything before I seal the deal. Thank you!
Wow you are up late. I work weird hours and just got home. Being that your home has only two exposed walls, that will help. Insulate the top floor, I believe they just call it a cap and you will be in pretty good shape. No worries.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 PM

I work night shift -- nothing else to do!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:17 AM

524 posts, read 1,036,545 times
Let me add my congratulations as well! I love the house, and think you'll be very happy there.

Regarding gas bills, I strongly urge you to take h_curtis' advice about insulating the top of the house. It will make a huge difference, not only in your gas bills, but in your comfort level as well. And being as it's off-season, you should be able to get a really good deal from an insulating company. I know I had some insulation done in the spring/summer, and the company gave me a significant discount as they were looking for work at that time.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:49 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Another thing you can do is get a programmable thermostat. You can then also set it to get very cool at night, and use a space heater just in your bedroom.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:37 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,076 times
Gas is really cheap now, will likely stay that way unless the government figures out how to crush the shale boom. If gas prices rise significantly heating may be a bigger deal.

Insulation is really important not only for cost but comfort too. Ask your home inspector about yours. The attic or top floor is most important by far. Having an attached house helps too.

With current prices and reasonable insulation be surprised if you hit 300 during the winter.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
Our gas bill went down by 2/3 when we got a new high-efficiency boiler installed. Our monthy budget is around $80, I think, for a 2700 sq. foot townhouse that's attached only on one side. It could probably be better if we had new windows and insulation. We will do some insulation but the windows are staying; I hate replacement windows but we will probably put magnetic interior storms up in a few years.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:00 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Itin and Rhine Street are designated city snow emergency routes. The city has made it a priority to keep them clear.

They need to keep them open both for PAT busses that head up Itin as well as for the ambulances that frequent the senior citizen high rise on Yetta and the nursing home on Rhine.

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/ass..._guide_map.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh