Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:49 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,978 times

Advertisements

So I'm going to do the whole proposing thing soon, yikes
But anyways, where do people recommend looking at rings around here? Everyone I talk to says the Clark building. Now I don't know if they havent been there for awhile, I picked a bad day or what.... but, I had a free minute and stopped down there the other day & quite frankly, the people working there I wouldn't buy a used car from. Now, given my time constraint, I only stopped at the places on the ground floor, so maybe i just had a bad impression from those places, but all the sales people I saw had hair slicked back as greased up as possible, tight ed hardy esque shirts, and big 'old gold chains (think stereotypical russian mob wannabe look) - not someone I an comfortable handing over a large sum of money too.
Are there good places in the Clark building? Other stores people recommend?

No chain jewelry stores either please.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 01:54 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times
I got my wife's at a jewlery designer in Sharpsburg. Her name is Lisa Marie Kotchey. I think she has a degree form R.I.T. She can do anything you want. What she did for me was ordered a half a dozen stones that where in my price range and I got to pick which one I liked best. From there she made a mold and made the setting from scratch. However, she can do whatever you want. My family and friends have all bought stuff from her and they have always been happy.

Congrats on the upcoming engagement.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:12 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
My son purchased their rings from Henne... very happy with them!

Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,514,553 times
yes, there's a whole floor in the Clark building. Just go in the building and take the elevator upstairs and look. I think it's the 4th floor.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:21 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
Custom is definitely a romantic way to go--we used diamonds that originally came from my grandmother's ring (they had been removed at some point), and had rings designed around them (including our wedding rings).

Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM

675 posts, read 2,099,401 times
I was very happy with Frost & Co. in the Clark Building, I'd recommend giving them a try.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:05 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I was very happy with Frost & Co. in the Clark Building, I'd recommend giving them a try.
I agree. We went to them because my wife liked a certain ring designer. I found out that Frost & Co. were the only local dealer. I got a pretty good deal.

We got our wedding rings from there too. I believe we got a VIP discount because we were prior customers. We wanted them engraved and we when we went to pick them up, there were no engravings. They apologized and a week later they mailed the corrected rings to us at no charge.

Heads up: Save your receipt/invoice from them and put it in a safe place! I wanted to add the rings to our property insurance and I found out I had misplaced the receipt/invoice. I called them and they could not locate my information. Why? Because they weren't computerized and did everything by paper. This was in 2008, so I don't know if they have changed that. Luckily I was able to find my copies.

Good luck!

Old 12-06-2011, 03:51 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Used to be a wax carver years ago and a polisher. Have a look at that Jewerly repair place in Lawrenceville on Main and Bulter. He knows his stuff. He can make anything, but is quiet about it.

The Clark Building is a good place. There are deals there. Frost is okay, but not wholesale deals. If you bought there, you probably got an okay deal. Better than some mall.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,225,366 times
John Anthony Jewelers, I think it is the 4th floor of the Clark building.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:59 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,873,372 times
I bought from Overstock.com And she loves it. White gold with sapphires
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh