Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 05:53 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,864,150 times

Advertisements

Here's the article:

"Last piece of puzzle" in place for Carrie Furnace site

The money will build a flyover/ramp to the site from the renovated Rankin Bridge, which supposedly is the last piece of public investment needed prior to development.

By way of background, this is a potentially very important development site. The current plan is for office and light industrial to complement the retail and residential over in the Waterfront. I agree with not needing more retail, but I do wonder if a residential component would be a good idea, since unlike with the Waterfront, there is at least the potential for decent Busway access. In any event, this one of the last of the large, riverfront brownfields left this far into the core area (the other notable one being the ALMONO/Hazelwood LTV site).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,984,318 times
This is potentially very good news for Rankin and Braddock.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Yep. Good jobs and nice taxable property would be a welcome addition to the relevant municipalities.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,044,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Here's the article:

"Last piece of puzzle" in place for Carrie Furnace site

The money will build a flyover/ramp to the site from the renovated Rankin Bridge, which supposedly is the last piece of public investment needed prior to development.

By way of background, this is a potentially very important development site. The current plan is for office and light industrial to complement the retail and residential over in the Waterfront. I agree with not needing more retail, but I do wonder if a residential component would be a good idea, since unlike with the Waterfront, there is at least the potential for decent Busway access. In any event, this one of the last of the large, riverfront brownfields left this far into the core area (the other notable one being the ALMONO/Hazelwood LTV site).
It's good to see some funding secured for the flyover, but can it be built for 10 million? What about funding to convert the hot metal bridge?

I was reading a feasibility repot for the site, and it indicated a residential component would be feasible.

Quote:
I think this could be good news for Rankin and Braddock, but I just can't see it doing much. From what I've read, the Swissvale portion of the site would be the most likely place for a residential component, and could house upwards of 1000 people. If that were to happen, that could be about a 10% increase in population for Swissvale.

The county put together some redevelopment ideas for Swissvale, Rankin, and Braddock, (Parts of Braddock's plan are no longer feasible) all tied to the redevelopment of the Carrie Furnace site. For anyone interested in reading it, it's here.

http://fourtheconomy.com/wp-content/uploads/Reports/MonValleyVisionPlan.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,984,318 times
Just curious about this, but what are people's feelings regarding the Rankin neighborhood? I know how most people view Braddock. Does Rankin have more hope?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,044,733 times
Quote:
Just curious about this, but what are people's feelings regarding the Rankin neighborhood? I know how most people view Braddock. Does Rankin have more hope?
Rankin isn't much better off than Braddock. Being at the end of the East busway gives it a better chance for redevelopment.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:17 PM

I could see Rankin and Braddock redeveloping at the same time, or Rankin coming significantly sooner--it really depends on how quickly people take an interest in this area.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:25 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,073,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I could see Rankin and Braddock redeveloping at the same time, or Rankin coming significantly sooner--it really depends on how quickly people take an interest in this area.
I would imagine that the areas closest to the Steel Mill are going to lag behind the rest in improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh