Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think Pghers like more and would vote for?
RON PAUL, we need some serious real change! 11 26.83%
Mitt Romney, I think he represents us well and I will vote for him! 4 9.76%
I am voting for my dog or just will not vote! 4 9.76%
I am afraid I will have to vote for Obama again! 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,802,562 times

Advertisements

If I was Obama, I would only be concerned about Romney. He seems to be a bit more level than the others. Interestingly, I might fear Paul as well. Paul could gain steam like Ross Perot did, until he dropped out. He might have won if he stayed his course.

I think Obama will be in another 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 10:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,690,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
If Santorum's views aren't wacko enough to keep him from being elected president, then I am truly living in the wrong country. I don't know that I'd be able to move though....
I already have plans in motion to move in 2013, hopefully to Germany (they are reforming their immigration laws right now to be more accepting of highly skilled immigrants). Netherlands has a US friendship treaty and a huge need for IT work and Norway also has a huge demand for IT work. I love my country but I feel it's time to try to make a better life for myself, and that just ain't happening here.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,308,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I already have plans in motion to move in 2013, hopefully to Germany (they are reforming their immigration laws right now to be more accepting of highly skilled immigrants). Netherlands has a US friendship treaty and a huge need for IT work and Norway also has a huge demand for IT work. I love my country but I feel it's time to try to make a better life for myself, and that just ain't happening here.
But, but, but...if we elect Santorum we can enslave gays and working women! Isn't that just fabulous?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I hope you actually do it, and stop dreaming about it. No matter what, you will get an education if you make the move.

Be forewarned, Norway is VERY expensive, so that might make for a harder move. It is a beautiful country though. Germany would be cheaper and have more variety of housing prices. Sweden would be awesome as well, so don't count that out. Finland would be great. Lots of English speakers, low crime and a very high standard of living. France has some issues that might not be the best move right now. Ireland could also be great and a bonus is no language issues, other than the thick accents.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,861,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Such a shame

Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,847,631 times
Quote:
Minus some huge gaffe or crazy past revelation, I think Obama's second term will be 100% dependent on whether the economy improves or remains stagnant or falters, nothing more.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,891,955 times
The interesting case is where the economy is growing, but not fast enough to rapidly repair the damage remaining from the recession. In such a situation, the political balance may be close enough that candidate quality on the Republican side could actually matter.

And that happens to be the economic situation right now--whether that will continue through 2012 or change for better or worse is obviously uncertain.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
gg

About the economy. If the stock market is any indication of the future, the future looks VERY bright. Let me tell you something about investors in the market. They are not flunkeys. The Stock market is a bit wild right now, but not as wild as it was a year ago. Overall the market is much off the lows, but a bit flat over the past year waiting for global news. The DOW is around 12K, which is pretty nice. Keeping in mind the market is a good indication of future values and is right much of the time. That all being said, Obama's future also looks brighter. We do need to get the unemployment numbers in a better range, but that usually follows as companies stockpile money as they are doing now. They can hire and expand into what will be needed.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,891,955 times
Of course at least in theory, the stock market is supposed to take a long view on the economy. So even if the stock market is correctly predicting future prosperity, the question is whether that prosperity will come soon enough to help Obama get re-elected.

And it may well happen, but I think there is enough uncertainty about the track of the economy over the next few months to give the Republican Party ample incentive to choose a good candidate (or at least the best they have available--I'm not sure anyone running actually counts as an objectively good candidate).

Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,690,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
But, but, but...if we elect Santorum we can enslave gays and working women! Isn't that just fabulous?
I think it's just FABULOUS

Quote:
I hope you actually do it, and stop dreaming about it. No matter what, you will get an education if you make the move.

Be forewarned, Norway is VERY expensive, so that might make for a harder move. It is a beautiful country though. Germany would be cheaper and have more variety of housing prices. Sweden would be awesome as well, so don't count that out. Finland would be great. Lots of English speakers, low crime and a very high standard of living. France has some issues that might not be the best move right now. Ireland could also be great and a bonus is no language issues, other than the thick accents.
I've lived in Ireland before for school, beautiful country with awesome people. But they have some very real economic issues right now. Norway is insanely expensive and I'd have to cut back a lot but wages are also very high and I'm not afraid of sacrifices. Germany rules and my fiance has family over there. Sweden/Finland are on the radar but their demand for my fiance's field isn't as high. We have friends in Denmark too but that country has more or less so "no way" to immigration... Not a fan of France either.

Even if I leave the US for 5 years and come back, the life experience will be good enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh