Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think Pghers like more and would vote for?
RON PAUL, we need some serious real change! 11 26.83%
Mitt Romney, I think he represents us well and I will vote for him! 4 9.76%
I am voting for my dog or just will not vote! 4 9.76%
I am afraid I will have to vote for Obama again! 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:28 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I personally wish the Republican Party (generally speaking, of course) would back off the whole "gay" thing. Homosexuals have been around for centuries. Many other species also have documented portions of their populations that are same-sex-oriented. Do I like being gay? Of course not. I cry quite a bit knowing I won't be able to give my parents the grandchildren they've wanted for years. I am what I am through no plausible fault of my own, yet I'm vilified by social conservatives who blame us for societal ills. Why? I don't even live up to the stereotypes, and if it wasn't for Facebook most people wouldn't suspect me of not being straight.

Like it or not the majority of people in this country are trending towards greater tolerance and acceptance of people who have alternative sexual orientations. I won't consciously vote for any candidate (of EITHER major party) who seeks to diminish my dream of being viewed as an equal to heterosexuals someday. If the GOP wants to attract a greater base of voters who are younger and educated, then they must cease their gay "witch hunt".

P.S. Reinstating DADT? Really? Why? "Military readiness" is jeopardized because some dumb rednecks suddenly worry that a throng of gay guys are going to rape them in the shower now that DADT has been repealed?

At some point over the past 20 years the Republican party got hijacked by religious predominantly southern interests. My dad used to say that the Democratic party of today isn't the Democratic party that his father supported. Well, the Republican party of today isn't the Republican party he supported. They can't put a candidate out there who isn't dead set on repressing homosexuals, pushing a religious agenda, cutting necessary social programs, and ignoring the biggest financial drain on all Americans...our antiquated coldwar military model.

During the last election I was staunchly against Obama. Thought the economy would go to crap worse than it already was with many of his suggested policies, thought that he was unprepared, and was completely wrong on just about all of it. Got a little more life experience, watched everything go just fine the past few years, and changed my mind. Health insurance reform was necessary and will help many of my friends. His student loan reform has helped my family immensly. Of course there are many things I disagree with that he's done (Libya), but the positives outweigh the negatives...and the status quo before him. Count me as an independant who will be voting for him.

Ron Paul is the only person who could have gotten my vote from the conservative side of the isle. Only then because he has some 'radical' (not really) ideas, and isn't a fundamentalist christian who would like nothing more than to have everyone else in this country adhere to his particular beliefs, which is more than I can say for the other candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 05:59 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
Obama just gladly signed NDAA.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Statement by the President on H.R. 1540 | The White House

Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 PM

Yes I can see that propaganda, what of it?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
That's in case anyone is interested in what Obama actually thinks about the detention provisions in the 2012 NDAA.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:04 PM

268 posts, read 374,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That's in case anyone is interested in what Obama actually thinks about the detention provisions in the 2012 NDAA.
Believe everything he says. I mean he never flip flops or lies about stuff. Doesn't do backroom deals or anything. Very opened and honest with the American people. Since it's from a government website, it must be accurate of President Obama's true views.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
Believe everything he says. I mean he never flip flops or lies about stuff. Doesn't do backroom deals or anything. Very opened and honest with the American people. Since it's from a government website, it must be accurate of President Obama's true views.
I feel like I can trust Obama more than any of the people running against him. Just look at Obama's truth ratings on statements compared to the GOP candidates trying to run against him on politifact.com.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
You mean the ones his administration (AKA him) requested include American citizens?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 AM

268 posts, read 374,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I feel like I can trust Obama more than any of the people running against him. Just look at Obama's truth ratings on statements compared to the GOP candidates trying to run against him on politifact.com.
So you're saying you trust Obama to protect your personal liberty more than Ron Paul? HAHAHAHA! I almost spilled my coffee reading that one

Old 01-10-2012, 06:38 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
So you're saying you trust Obama to protect your personal liberty more than Ron Paul? HAHAHAHA! I almost spilled my coffee reading that one
Ron paul will not be the nominee so you can get over yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh