Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think Pghers like more and would vote for?
RON PAUL, we need some serious real change! 11 26.83%
Mitt Romney, I think he represents us well and I will vote for him! 4 9.76%
I am voting for my dog or just will not vote! 4 9.76%
I am afraid I will have to vote for Obama again! 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:07 PM

268 posts, read 374,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Obama has done reasonably well under very difficult circumstances, and I will have no problem supporting him again. Of course I am generally inclined to favor centrist, pragmatic sorts like Obama. Romney would probably want to be similar if given complete freedom of action, but he may feel compelled to continue to cater to extremists.

Anyway, obviously this poll was designed to push a particular candidate, but I still find it interesting that it omitted Gingrich, who all the polling suggests is in fact the frontrunner for the Republican nomination, by a considerable margin.
Also omitting the fact that Ron Paul is at 21% with Newt Gingrich at 22%, which does not look like a considerable margin. Paul could in fact win in Iowa.

You can't conclude that Obama is doing reasonably well. He may be doing reasonably well in your perspective or what falls in your ideology, which of course is subjective. It is not a fact by the majority of the country. Obama cannot be compared to the pragmatism of Bill Clinton. He is more guided by ideology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
His stance on Gay issues is my biggest issue with Ron Paul, he isn't too gay friendly. Most of the Repubs want DADT reinstated which would immediately turn me away.
Ron Paul doesn't want DADT reinstated and has stated many times that government needs to get out of the marriage business (e.g. no licenses). With no marriage license, everyone is equal! He does take a state's rights stance on marriage, because no where in the Constitution does it say that the Fed. gov't be involved in marriage. His personal beliefs are that marriage is a private thing that gov't shouldn't endorse nor prohibit.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
Also omitting the fact that Ron Paul is at 21% with Newt Gingrich at 22%, which does not look like a considerable margin. Paul could in fact win in Iowa.
I was referring to national polls, in which Paul remains way behind Gingrich and Romney:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination

Paul may well win in Iowa or finish a close second, but that doesn't mean he will win the entire contest.

But in any event, Paul was included in this poll, and Gingrich was not. I've got no inherent problem with the first fact, but the second strikes me as rather interesting.

Quote:
You can't conclude that Obama is doing reasonably well.
Of course I can. You are correct that any such assessment must be made in light of what I personally think are proper goals for a President at this particular moment in history, but I never claimed to be speaking for anyone but myself.

Quote:
Obama cannot be compared to the pragmatism of Bill Clinton. He is more guided by ideology.
Balderdash.

Obama entered office with a standard center-left agenda. He essentially tried to fulfill this agenda by proposing center-right measures (which to make a long story short, was a pragmatic lesson he learned from Clinton's early failures, as well as his own experiences as a legislator). Although the Republicans proved more obstructionist than many had hoped, nonetheless this strategy helped Obama fulfill quite a bit of his agenda. If Obama was an ideologue rather than a pragmatist, he wouldn't have achieved nearly as much on his agenda, as that would have made it much more difficult to get anything through Congress.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Obama entered office with a standard center-left agenda. He essentially tried to fulfill this agenda by proposing center-right measures (which to make a long story short, was a pragmatic lesson he learned from Clinton's early failures, as well as his own experiences as a legislator). Although the Republicans proved more obstructionist than many had hoped, nonetheless this strategy helped Obama fulfill quite a bit of his agenda. If Obama was an ideologue rather than a pragmatist, he wouldn't have achieved nearly as much on his agenda, as that would have made it much more difficult to get anything through Congress.
I didn't know the Stimulus, New Health Care Law, and Frank-Dodd were center-right measures. They were all voted on party lines. He knew he had to do it while Democrats had control of both houses of Congress.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times
Quote:
I thought Obama entered office with a majority in the House and a 59 votes in the Senate. He later got his 60th Senator, which killed Arlen Spector's career, giving him a super-majority. Your comments make it seem as though the GOP put up fierce opposition to him from day one. In fact, he was arrogant, declaring "I won!" and Pelosi was quoted as saying "Elections have consequences!" He had the largest majorities in Congress for any president in decades...and he failed to do anything with it. He wasted all of his time with his misguided stimulus plan that most citizens see as a failure, and the rest of his time getting ObamaCare rammed through. So, Obama and his supporters can blame all of his failures on the GOP and obstructionism, but it's a lie. He's simply a failure. A born failure. I don't know how he can look his wife in the face at night.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:57 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
What makes you think that they always bring it up? Don't be so naive. Democrats constantly use division for money and votes. If they can claim that the GOP will harm gays, minorities, women, the poor, etc. then they will to as as long as it benefits them. There is no honor or honesty in politics. Politicians will do whatever it takes to get elected.

Wipe your tears. You can adopt an asian baby, just like that gay couple on "Modern Family". It will be hilarious!
Adopting a child is VERY expensive, tens of thousands of dollars. It's better to find someone who will give you their baby. Lawyers help facilitate such a transaction.

Log Cabin republicans are gay and republican. Home - - Log Cabin Republicans -

Old 12-13-2011, 11:03 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
I didn't know the Stimulus, New Health Care Law, and Frank-Dodd were center-right measures.
Well, you should have.

Take "Obamacare". It was deliberately structured along the lines of what center-right, moderate Republicans had supported in the past. Which, incidentally, is currently tripping up both Romney and Gingrich.

The stimulus was similarly full of ideas once proposed by Republicans. In fact, it was full of ideas that various Republicans in Congress actually worked hard to get into the bill, then they voted against it, and then they took credit for those ideas.

Quote:
They were all voted on party lines.
Funny how that works. A Democratic President proposes things Republicans themselves once proposed, and suddenly they almost all decide to change their views.

Quote:
He knew he had to do it while Democrats had control of both houses of Congress.
True, for the reason above--most Republicans in Congress early on made clear that they would oppose whatever Obama proposed, no matter what they had previously supported themselves, in an attempt to make him a one-term President.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Why can we only see who voted before we vote, but we can't see who voted after we vote?

Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why can we only see who voted before we vote, but we can't see who voted after we vote?
Click on the numbers. They will show you who voted in the poll.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Click on the numbers. They will show you who voted in the poll.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh