Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times

Advertisements

Why is this unique to Pittsburgh again? Nobody knows what to do with a 4-way stop anywhere anyway. I suspect one thing that may be more common here is that the people letting you turn left first are being "nice". And yes, that is sometimes annoying because it would be better if people were predictably consistent as opposed to nice, but that's what happens. This is far from the worst scenario of that, though. I can't tell you how many times I've shouted "Just go!" at the traffic doing something stupid that I guess was trying to be nice, and that is rarely if ever at a 4-way stop.

I agree about the traffic lights, but this is not well-known, and even if people did know, refer to above. They do often reference this on radio traffic reports. "Traffic lights out at xyz intersection. Remember that this should be treated as a 4-way stop." But not everyone listens to the traffic reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
While I agree that it is an inconvenience for the people on the larger road, it is also the law to treat the intersection like a four-way stop when the lights are out. Because of this, not doing so is akin to running a stop sign, and puts everyone in the intersection's life at risk. It's the only way for everyone to advance safely.
Not really. If you see a car coming, you wait....Dangerous would be screeching to a halt in the middle of a major road (even if a traffic light is out) when none of the cars around you are.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:27 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
In the past month I've been beeped at 3 times for making a complete stop at a stop sign instead of coasting through it.

Drivers here are horrendous. There's plenty more examples of their idiocy but that's how I would sum it up overall.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM

675 posts, read 2,098,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Not really. If you see a car coming, you wait....Dangerous would be screeching to a halt in the middle of a major road (even if a traffic light is out) when none of the cars around you are.
What I've found is that, the people who have been waiting forever on the side roads realize that the people on the main road are not following the laws, eventually get pissed off and floor it across the intersection, and the people who are running the hypothetical stop sign get pissed off because they almost crash into them. I've seen this happen several times, and it is literally a life-threatening situation.

You can't just force all traffic on side roads to risk their lives to cross major roads when the traffic lights are out.

Also, while I agree that screeching to a halt would be dangerous, that's not typically how I treat a four-way stop.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Not all of us agree that "that everything goes much smoother if everyone follows the PA Driver's Manual to a T."
This is why I feel that everything goes smoothest if everyone follows the Driver's Manual. It's safe to assume that the creators of the manual have thought of more than the average Joe, who casually decides to ignore certain parts of it for one reason or another. That's how people get killed.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
What I've found is that, the people who have been waiting forever on the side roads realize that the people on the main road are not following the laws, eventually get pissed off and floor it across the intersection, and the people who are running the hypothetical stop sign get pissed off because they almost crash into them. I've seen this happen several times, and it is literally a life-threatening situation.

You can't just force all traffic on side roads to risk their lives to cross major roads when the traffic lights are out.

Also, while I agree that screeching to a halt would be dangerous, that's not typically how I treat a four-way stop.
I view the overly cautious, slow driver as the one who creates traffic jams that hold people up for miles and end up causing more accidents than if they did not drive so slow.

The safest way to drive is to drive similarly to those around you. If they are all slow, drive slow. If they all let one car run a red light after it turns red, start doing that. Predictability equals safety. If you slam on your breaks when a light just turns yellow in a major city (even if you are legally right), you are the dangerous car on the road because that is not predictable behavior.

Stop reading the drivers manual and watch the road and how others drive.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I view the overly cautious, slow driver as the one who creates traffic jams that hold people up for miles and end up causing more accidents than if they did not drive so slow.

The safest way to drive is to drive similarly to those around you. If they are all slow, drive slow. If they all let one car run a red light after it turns red, start doing that. Predictability equals safety. If you slam on your breaks when a light just turns yellow in a major city (even if you are legally right), you are the dangerous car on the road because that is not predictable behavior.

Stop reading the drivers manual and watch the road and how others drive.
I agree, that predictability improves safety. The problem is, everyone interprets what everyone else is doing differently, so the ways that you decide to deviate from the law are different from the ways that another person decides to deviate from the law, therefore creating a situation of unpredictability. The easiest way to be predictable is to follow the laws.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:45 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
In the past month I've been beeped at 3 times for making a complete stop at a stop sign instead of coasting through it.
I got beeped at by a cop last week because I fully stopped for 2 secs at at stop sign. Just so happened to be the cop that pulled me over for coasting through the same stop sign...

Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Not all of us agree that "that everything goes much smoother if everyone follows the PA Driver's Manual to a T."

In your situation #1, it is a pretty obnoxious thing to wait at a stop sign because the guy who got there at the same time as you decides to wait 10 seconds before turning. If you pause at a stop sign for more than a second or two, I am going to go.

In situation #2, it is pretty obnoxious to come to a complete stop if you are on a major road, and thereby cause a traffic jam on a major road instead of having 1-2 cars backed up on the side road.
If a traffic light is out or blinking red, the intersection must be treated as a four way stop. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

Drivers here are horrendous. There's plenty more examples of their idiocy but that's how I would sum it up overall.
My ex-father-in-law, from upstate NY, moved to PA and called coasting through a stop sign "The Pennsylvania Glide".

Old 12-14-2011, 01:28 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
I got beeped at by a cop last week because I fully stopped for 2 secs at at stop sign. Just so happened to be the cop that pulled me over for coasting through the same stop sign...
Sometimes I wish there was more enforcement of traffic laws. People blow through stop signs and red lights. I've been noticing the variation on the Pittsburgh left where at an intersection with a green arrow, when the arrow goes away 5-10 extra left-turning cars go through the light. You'd think the city'd want the money from all those tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh