Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:37 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Just a reminder, this program is specifically about a bioterrorism event, not natural disasters.
The problem is that the article's title, "America's Most And Least Disaster-Proof Cities", doesn't exactly make that specificity clear. It makes the impression that the article is dealing with disasters in general, not a specific type of disaster. You'd have to read to the fourth paragraph to even get a hint that it's talking about biological warfare, and then ends once again with a paragraph that is rather generic. It's misleading at best, and I am sure it was designed to attract more hits. I wonder how many skip the text and look at the pretty pictures.

On a side note, the picture representing Portland, ME, is rather amusing. That could be anywhere that has boats and lovers in close proximity.

So who's ready to flee to Schenectady?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 03:39 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Forbes is clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel for ranking ideas.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:39 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
It's misleading at best, and I am sure it was designed to attract more hits. I wonder how many skip the text and look at the pretty pictures.
Of course, as are all the Top Ten lists. The whole "Top Ten" trend had some legitimacy when it started, but in the last year or so they've all been misleading and nothing more than a way to attract eyeballs. IMO, of course.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:59 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,865 times
We need a "Top Ten Most Useless Top Ten Lists" list. I think they serve best as a way to fill up space for an article without the writer having to do much actual writing or thinking.

Top Ten cities that begin with "P":

1. Pittsburgh
2. Philadelphia
3. Punxsutawney
4. Portland, ME
5. Portland, OR
6. Pueblo, CO
7. Pewaukee, WI
8. Petoskey, MI
9. Poughkeepsie, NY
10. Perpignan, France

That was easy. And, like the Forbes article, I won't bother to provide any detail as to the criteria that determined these rankings. What makes Pittsburgh 1 better than Fresno after all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh