Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:39 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I actually think they have an opportunity to retool it to make it relevant again, if they want to go that direction. Forget about all the softcore stuff and contrived drama--show these people actually trying to get real jobs. Show them participating in protests. Capture what is really going on among young people today.

I think people might watch that.
I would really like to see it go in the direction, but I just don't think it would work. I think the last thing kids want to see, is reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 12:04 PM

41 posts, read 87,231 times
All Real World locations thus far have been global cities/major metropolises (New York/Brooklyn, London, Paris, Sydney, Los Angeles/Hollywood, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC), resort/vacation places (Miami, Hawaii, San Diego, Key West, Cancun, New Orleans, Las Vegas) or "hip" cities (Seattle, Austin, Denver).

I would have figured Pittsburgh to be a long, long way down the list -- below Portland, Toronto, Atlanta, Dallas, Vancouver, and so on.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:06 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Pittsburgh is now "hip". Wiz and Mac, Braddock jeans . . . Rust Belt Chic is blowing up.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:26 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Show them participating in protests. Capture what is really going on among young people today.
Clearly you have no idea what the youth of today is doing. People from the East End have such a disconnect from the realities of everyday American life. The youth care much more about updating their Facebook status than protesting the evil 1% of society. Sorry to break this to you, but this isn't 1968.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 PM

268 posts, read 374,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Clearly you have no idea what the youth of today is doing. People from the East End have such a disconnect from the realities of everyday American life. The youth care much more about updating their Facebook status than protesting the evil 1% of society. Sorry to break this to you, but this isn't 1968.
I do agree with that for the majority of college students, although there's definitely small pockets of politically active groups. It's just not the case for the majority.

I should also add that filming a show of characters who contribute to the community does not always help with ratings or profit. Although it's great to see them getting involved, in reality what sells is sex, drama, and lots of alcohol and partying. That's why Jersey Shore was so controversial and popular. Everyone hated the characters. The characters had NO morals. But we love watching the foul filfth of society getting involved in heavy drama, partying, and sex. It's human curiosity.

My final point -- Why is RW even on the air? Like I said the show has run its course and you get the same lame stereotypical characters -- at least one or two flamboyant gay dudes, super douchey frat jock, the good girl, the ****, a minority, some nerd, and this time around a lesbian that is easily mistaken as a man (prob should just get the surgery over with). LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME. It was cool way back in '02 when they were in Vegas.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
It was cool way back in '02 when they were in Vegas.
That was my penultimate season. Trashelle: ewwww.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
season 27 huh...

Old 12-16-2011, 10:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,512 times
No offense to the city of Pittsburgh but if this is true his production company is putting the final nails in their own coffin. They already lost all their mainstream audience to the Jersey Shore who takes there show to places like Italy...so yeah Im sure PITTS for the real world will do the trick....NOT unless they have found SUCH an amazing cast that the location wont matter....I highly doubt that though...

Old 12-16-2011, 10:41 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *GoFish* View Post
No offense to the city of Pittsburgh but if this is true his production company is putting the final nails in their own coffin. They already lost all their mainstream audience to the Jersey Shore who takes there show to places like Italy...so yeah Im sure PITTS for the real world will do the trick....NOT unless they have found SUCH an amazing cast that the location wont matter....I highly doubt that though...
Cheap shot. The location was picked because Pittsburgh can hang with those cities, despite your personal opinion. How do you know it will not have the opposite effect for Pittsburgh than you think? It all depends on how the city is depicted. Pittsburgh was picked because what it has accomplished and where it is going. If you live here and don't like it, fine. If you have never been here for an extended visit then you are only going by an image you have in your head or what you have heard. Not everybody feels like you do. If the show fails, it will have nothing to do with location.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 12-16-2011 at 11:28 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,512 times
Not a cheap shot at all, not when you start off with the line..."no offense." I was speaking purely from a business perspective. The show is almost DOA... and while it will do wonders for the city itself, amd it IS a GREAT place, it IS a small market city. Im just saying you would expect a revival attempt to go after BIG market (it only makes sense). I wont expect to see a season 28.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh