Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *GoFish* View Post
Not a cheap shot at all, not when you start off with the line..."no offense." I was speaking purely from a business perspective. The show is almost DOA... and while it will do wonders for the city itself, amd it IS a GREAT place, it IS a small market city. Im just saying you would expect a revival attempt to go after BIG market (it only makes sense). I wont expect to see a season 28.
You believe the only people who watch Real World are the residents of the cities where each season is filmed? That's hillarious! Business mind, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:35 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You believe the only people who watch Real World are the residents of the cities where each season is filmed? That's hillarious! Business mind, huh?
I think what Go Fish is assuming is that since it is Pittsburgh, there may be little appeal outside of Pittsburgh because Pittsburgh may not have a sexy image as some of those other cities. My opinion is that whatever fans of the show that are still left will watch because they are attracted to the attractive and eccentric people and the trials and tribulations that they endure, regardless of locale. If it is the last season, blaming it on Pittsburgh would be too easy given that the show has been going downhill for several seasons anyway.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:08 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
If this is really happening, watch how many Pittsburgh ex-pats tune in... there are quite a few of them. Even though I hate the show, I'll probably be curious enough to watch. I'm sure a lot of folks who once lived here will also be in the same boat.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:10 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
Also, how many other small market cities have they already used? Austin, Denver, San Diego, New Orleans (twice).

Old 12-17-2011, 09:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I think what Go Fish is assuming is that since it is Pittsburgh, there may be little appeal outside of Pittsburgh because Pittsburgh may not have a sexy image as some of those other cities. My opinion is that whatever fans of the show that are still left will watch because they are attracted to the attractive and eccentric people and the trials and tribulations that they endure, regardless of locale. If it is the last season, blaming it on Pittsburgh would be too easy given that the show has been going downhill for several seasons anyway.
That was basically my point. I don't think the audience is watching this show for the cities in the backdrop.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
honestly I didn't know this show was even around anymore. woo hoo

Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 5,514 times
That was my point, and you are right, the people that are STILL watching (which are not many left), DONT watch it for the city backdrop, I would just think IF they wanted to TRY and bring BACK viewers they would have went for the glitz of some other place. Im not bashing Pittsburgh or saying there is ANYTHING wrong with it taping thing. Matter of fact it would have been nicer if they came a few years back when viewership was UP to give the town higher exposure. What I'm questioning is the thinking process of the shows producers. Trust me I'm not attacking Pittsburgh, or its people or anything about it. To the people that still watch it, the show will be what it always was. Im just posting my OPINION that I think if your running a losing race, and you want to get back at least some of the viewers you lost, it might be done by thinking outside the box, putting it at a worldly location to bring more "outside of the norm" interest. They have nothing to lose taking risks at this point. How about Rio during Carnival or something to that effect? What will that bring? It will bring all the regular viewers plus people who are curious and about a world renouned imfamous event. Stuff like that.

I never claimed to be a business expert, but if you dont see the plain common sense in what i'm saying in my OPINION (yes although Ive been attacked for mine, I havent and will not attack back for yours, as much as I disagree with it, because I respect your opinion as well). In summary, when a ship is sinking, at least point it toward the shore and hope it makes it back instead of just sitting and waiting for the inevitable.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Doing a season in yet another global city or party town would be thinking INSIDE the box. Doing a season in a city like Pittsburgh that has a strong but different sort of branding is much more outside the box (although I don't know how much use they will make of the possibilities).

Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,102 times
I respect everybody's opinion. It is just that Pittsburgh has been **** on for decades and this is just another feather in the city's cap. There have been a lot of feathers in Pittsburgh's cap lately, yet, still does not seem to get the respect it deserves. That is from where the offensive of some Pittsburghers comes. I admit, I am guilty of being overly offensive about Pittsburgh sometimes. That is the reason. If you can be objective, then you gain respect.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:58 PM

78 posts, read 217,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I've always been told that this house, at 325 Grandview Ave., was to be the house for The Real World back when they first considered Pittsburgh as a location. I never questioned it as it was built out to about 75% and then never finished. It'd be interesting to see if it suddenly gets finished now.
Drove by house today. Looks like its completed. Very nice. Right next door to the Carnegie Library of Mt. Washington. Amazing views that house will provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh