Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:29 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cups of that Rozay View Post
but during the first few seasons of the real world, hipsters as you think you know them didn't exist.
Eh, that's just semantics. Becky and Norman and Andre would totally be hipsters by today's standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 03:36 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Real World goes far enough back that in its early years young bohemians were called "slackers" rather than "hipsters".

Old 12-15-2011, 03:37 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
Quote:
but during the first few seasons of the real world, hipsters as you think you know them didn't exist.
Exactly. I think they were just considered "cool"

Old 12-15-2011, 03:39 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Real World goes far enough back that in its early years young bohemians were called "slackers" rather than "hipsters".

Kinda like the movie "Slackers." Except the people on Season 1 of the Real World weren't really slackers. They had some kind of job and they were trying to make something of themselves. I think the true slackers were guys that didn't have a ny job or any motivation to do squat. They still lived at home with thier mother.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:54 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Starting at least as early as Linklater's film, "slacker" started to mean something a bit different from someone who had no motivation. This is Linklater himself:

Quote:
“Slackers might look like the left-behinds of society, but they are actually one step ahead, rejecting most of society and the social hierarchy before it rejects them. The dictionary defines slackers as people who evade duties and responsibilities. A more modern notion would be people who are ultimately being responsible to themselves and not wasting their time in a realm of activity that has nothing to do with who they are or what they might be ultimately striving for.”
As with all these terms, you can be somewhat slacker without being all slacker, and I'd personally say there was a good amount of slacker in some of the early Real World cast members. For example, check out Becky's MTV bio:

Becky | The Real World: New York | MTV

Quote:
At 24, Becky is at a crossroads in her life. She is somewhere between the youthful exuberance that made her decide to try her hand as a folk singer and the maturity that has her searching for a grown-up relationship. She knows she wants to do lots of things in her life but is unsure about which direction to take. A moody wanderer, Becky is sure to stir up emotions in the house when she speaks her mind and offers up her opinions on life.
Anyway, slacker or not, that is definitely describing a young-bohemian-type.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:59 PM

18 posts, read 37,569 times
hipsters sound pretty alright to me.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Kinda like the movie "Slackers." Except the people on Season 1 of the Real World weren't really slackers. They had some kind of job and they were trying to make something of themselves. I think the true slackers were guys that didn't have a ny job or any motivation to do squat. They still lived at home with thier mother.
Yeah. The movie Slackers focuses around a bunch of mid 20s people in Austin Texas. Some were still in and out of college and were too busy getting high and philosiphising to get their degree, yet were still attached to the college scene. I do agree that Hipster is overused. Looking at me, one might think that I am decidedly unhip. I am in my late 40s, overweight, and like to wear gear from my favorite Pittsburgh team. So when I step up to the jukebox at Dee's, people may expect me to pick Van Halen or Rush or Zeppelin etc. Although I grew up with those bands, I am steeped in the 80s underground and was one of the goth types wondering around Oakland and the East End in the mid 1980s. So, at Dee's, when I select a song from Jesus and Mary Chain (a hipster band) from 1985, younger "hipsters" should not be surprised. I was THERE. You were not. Does that make me hipper than thou? To me, older people are the hip ones. How cool would it to be to say that you were at Woodstock? That is a lot cooler than hanging out at the Brillobox smoking cloves or eating "fusion" cuisine in Shadyside. Don't get me wrong. I Like that Pittsburgh is becoming trendy. It deserves it. It is a unique city. However, anybody should feel comfortable going into any establishment, regardless od appearance. Peace, Love and Understanding is the ultimate degree of hipness.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 12-15-2011 at 04:21 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 04:12 PM

you can't smoke in the brillobox. and i've been there many times and i think maybe three times smelled people smoking cloves. mostly "those people" are more likely to be smoking american spirits or will roll their own.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:15 PM

and if you're trying to be hip about the music you listened to from that time, you should say that you put spacemen 3 on the jukebox at dee's.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:18 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,102 times
Quote:
you can't smoke in the brillobox. and i've been there many times and i think maybe three times smelled people smoking cloves. mostly "those people" are more likely to be smoking american spirits or will roll their own.
I was just using that for effect. I have nothing against the Brillobox. I went there for lunch and had a great sandwich and great service. I was just giving an example of a perceived "hipster" bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh