Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:50 PM

63 posts, read 107,126 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are working the web and phones in preparation to move in January.

Have found several apartment buildings asking us for money to "reserve" a place for us to see.

My favorite was "aparments are moving fast so you have to reserve one so you can come see it".. If they were moving fast, no building would rather reserve than to outright just rent it.

Is this a normal practice in the Pittsburgh area or we have just been calling bad places with greedy management?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 04:51 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisco1844 View Post
My wife and I are working the web and phones in preparation to move in January.

Have found several apartment buildings asking us for money to "reserve" a place for us to see.

My favorite was "aparments are moving fast so you have to reserve one so you can come see it".. If they were moving fast, no building would rather reserve than to outright just rent it.

Is this a normal practice in the Pittsburgh area or we have just been calling bad places with greedy management?
Whenever I was looking over the summer I have never had one landlord ask for a deposit to just see the place. I will admit that I wasn't looking at any expensive places , but I imagine that your best bet would be to stay at a hotel in the area and look at all the places without having to pay for a reservation

Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Where is this at? If you're looking in the city, then a local screwball landlord might have this policy. I've never heard of this before. Probably the worst aspect of Pittsburgh right now is the extremely tight rental market. I would be extremely weary of this practice from landlords. Are they keeping a percentage if you do not take the apt? Heck, I remember a few years ago when few, if any, landlords actually charged an application fee. Even today, few landlords or management companies do a decent credit check. They basically check your judgements and eviction notices and that's it. In NYC/NJ, it's like dealing with the mafia. Some of those morons want a pound of flesh to move in, along with first month, last month, and security deposit. Insane. Fortunately, many places in Pittsburgh still allow residents to move in with first month's rent and $200 security.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Where is this at?
A few places we called asked for relatively low fees to "reserve" an apartment for us, but the one asking for nearly $300 (with $200 refundable if we don't rent) was Chestnut Ridge aparments.

Quote:
I would be extremely weary of this practice from landlords.
Agree.

Quote:
Fortunately, many places in Pittsburgh still allow residents to move in with first month's rent and $200 security.
Although someone mentioned it is usually a month's rent deposit I have seen mostly deposits that are less than one month's rent.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 PM

53 posts, read 82,281 times
I did not encounter this during my search last year, so while I can't definitively say whether this is standard for Pittsburgh overall, this was not my personal experience.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:29 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
That sounds scamtastic.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:52 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
buy a house, it's cheaper.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
That's not very realistic for someone who is visiting the area for the first time, IMO.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I have noticed that, but we can't do that until we have an idea of how different areas are. Also we want to start our family so need to look for a good school district. I think our best choice is to rent for a year or two until we get to know the area and research an area with good schools.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
That's not how things are done around here. Sounds like scam artists. It's likely they're not even property owners.

In Pittsburgh, you provide a security deposit when you sign a lease. It's usual equal to one month's rent.

But never are you asked to provide money to "hold" an apartment for you to merely view it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh