Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Right now, for affordable housing and sunshine...it would be Las Vegas. Plus Nevada has no income tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Yeah, but in comparison to Uruguay Vegas prices are astronomical.
Yep. When I'm talking about retiring to a foreign country, I'm talking about moving somewhere with a dirt cheap cost of living like nothing available in the US. Haven't looked into Uruguay but I've postponed my research until we're closer to retiring. Since housing isn't the only cost of living factor, I don't want to buy property too early and have cost of living increase by the time we retire. We'll go where it's cheap at the time we're ready to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Costa Rica is very nice too. I`ve been there a few times but having family here makes it unrealistic for me to move there permanently...or so my wife tells me.
Retire in Costa Rica - Know how to Live, Invest and Work in Costa Rica

Old 12-27-2011, 12:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Costa Rica is very nice too. I`ve been there a few times but having family here makes it unrealistic for me to move there permanently...or so my wife tells me.
Retire in Costa Rica - Know how to Live, Invest and Work in Costa Rica
Costa Rica was on my radar. They've increased the investment criteria from per couple to per person. It's not the bargain it once was.

The only family I care about are my children. They'll be thrilled to visit!

I hope it inspires them to not stay in the United States their ENTIRE lives.

Once you move to an awesome place, everyone wants to visit. We'll probably see our extended family more!

Old 12-27-2011, 12:27 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
What does any of this have to do with retiring in Pittsburgh? Costa Rica? Huh?

Old 12-27-2011, 12:50 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
What does any of this have to do with retiring in Pittsburgh? Costa Rica? Huh?
I just think they were making the point that the Costa Rica is a nicer place to retire than Pittsburgh because the weather is nicer and warmer.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:53 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Once we begin to talk about Fla....What the heck? There`s more to this world than being a yinzer. Not that there`s anything wrong with that.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:53 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Costa Rica was on my radar. They've increased the investment criteria from per couple to per person. It's not the bargain it once was.

The only family I care about are my children. They'll be thrilled to visit!

I hope it inspires them to not stay in the United States their ENTIRE lives.

Once you move to an awesome place, everyone wants to visit. We'll probably see our extended family more!
Have you lived in any of these places for any extended amount of time. I only ask, as from living in various other countries for awhile, it makes me realize that despite the many problems the US faces, other countries quite frankly suck in overall comparison.
I just wouldnt want to invest the time and money it takes to totally pack up & move somewhere & find that you don't actually like it if you havent lived there first to try it out.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:01 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I just wouldnt want to invest the time and money it takes to totally pack up & move somewhere & find that you don't actually like it if you havent lived there first to try it out.
How exactly does one live some place without packing up and moving there? Do you mean like taking a vacation there or something? For nearly all Americans taking an extended vacation in a foreign country is an impossible scenario.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:06 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
How exactly does one live some place without packing up and moving there? Do you mean like taking a vacation there or something? For nearly all Americans taking an extended vacation in a foreign country is an impossible scenario.
I don't know, but I'd have to do something much more then reading about a place to choose to take on the task of moving everything abroad. Maybe i'm just not as adventurous as some, or am tainted by my experiences living abroad, which yes, I enjoyed, but could not ever see doing so on a permanent basis.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I just think they were making the point that the Costa Rica is a nicer place to retire than Pittsburgh because the weather is nicer and warmer.
But don't they have a lot of bugs and other pests? Florida is bad enough but wonder what Central America would be like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh