Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:40 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times

Advertisements

For what it is worth, I think it was pretty clear from the beginning that a thread about how Pittsburgh was ranked against other possible retirement destinations included within its scope the topic of how Pittsburgh compares to other possible retirement destinations.

Anyhoo--I agree there is some inherent risk to moving to a foreign country for retirement, but obviously you could plan on trying out living there for an extended period first before finally committing to the move.

Personally, my two biggest barriers are that I suspect we will see our kids a lot more often if we stay in the U.S., and I also stink at foreign languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 12:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Anyhoo--I agree there is some inherent risk to moving to a foreign country for retirement, but obviously you could plan on trying out living there for an extended period first before finally committing to the move.
We'd definitely start out renting. You can easily get scammed buying property in foreign countries. Better to take it slow and learn the ropes.

Quote:
Personally, my two biggest barriers are that I suspect we will see our kids a lot more often if we stay in the U.S....
Since adult children often move out of state, I don't think it would be too limiting. Most people living overseas come back to the states once or twice a year. Family and friends often visit because they live in a cool vacation place that's an affordable vacation without paying for a hotel. What is the average times you visit your parents and vice versa? A few times a year, I'll bet.

Quote:
...and I also stink at foreign languages.
I haven't quite figured that obstical out yet. Based on experience living overseas many moons ago, I know it gets easier when you're forced to learn it. There are expats for socializing. Many foreigners do speak English.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:23 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Since adult children often move out of state, I don't think it would be too limiting.
Our family sort of scattered to the winds--in our experience, it made a big difference when people were within driving distance (say Detroit and Pittsburgh) versus a long plane flight (say San Francisco and Pittsburgh). Of course I have no idea where my kids will end up, but we'd probably want to stay in this quadrant of the U.S. as long as one or both of them are still here.

Quote:
Based on experience living overseas many moons ago, I know it gets easier when you're forced to learn it. There are expats for socializing. Many foreigners do speak English.
I'd be interested to see if I got any better with longer exposure--maybe we'll try renting a place for something like six months some time and see what happens.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
This looks like a good place to find info on overseas retirement.
Expatriate Communities more than 110 countries

Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
This is especially frightening because you probably don't even realize how disgustingly bigoted and xenophobic that statement is. Now that's off-topic.
Yeah, I know a few people in France. You should hear them talk about the violent situation. It sounds like France is now destroyed. Such a shame.

Anyway, I do understand trying to compare Pittsburgh to some tropical paradise, I guess.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yeah, I know a few people in France. You should hear them talk about the violent situation. It sounds like France is now destroyed. Such a shame.

Anyway, I do understand trying to compare Pittsburgh to some tropical paradise, I guess.
France has Muslim ghettos popping up and they think it's the end of the world. If some of the French stumbled upon a place like Camden, NJ or Flint, MI they'd have a heart attack. They're just not use to it like we are and thus act like their country is falling apart when in reality they have some of highest quality of life in the world.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Our family sort of scattered to the winds--in our experience, it made a big difference when people were within driving distance (say Detroit and Pittsburgh) versus a long plane flight (say San Francisco and Pittsburgh). Of course I have no idea where my kids will end up, but we'd probably want to stay in this quadrant of the U.S. as long as one or both of them are still here.
My experience has been sort of that way, but also different. When I lived in Illinois, I got to PA at least once a year, most years more often than that. DH's parents and one bro live in Omaha, Nebraska. We used to get there (500 miles away) at least once a year. When the kids got into high school, they were so busy with sports and other activities that we didn't get there as often. When the kids went to college out of state, they came home for the holidays and didn't want to go to Omaha or anywhere else. Denver to Pittsburgh has always been a big trip requiring lots of planning.

You have all of this to look forward to.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
The thing about retring to a warm weather climate is that seniors tend to be healthier and live longer because they can get outside more. Many of the seniors that I see when I go to Hollywood, Fl look terrific because they walk up and down that boardwalk every day and also get healthy doses of sunshine. I guess you can always ger silver sneakers for a gym menbership as a senior. It just seems that the senior communities in Florida have perfected the needs of retirees over the years. Warm weather is also better for arthritiis and other aches and pains.

This is true in regards to your comments about Florida. Exactly what many retirees are looking for in a locale. Unfortunately I think there are many retiree's that have had to cross Fla off their lists. Other factors come into place with so much of Fla, that end up making it an impractical place to retire. Your right though that sunshine is nice.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:53 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
France has Muslim ghettos popping up and they think it's the end of the world. If some of the French stumbled upon a place like Camden, NJ or Flint, MI they'd have a heart attack. They're just not use to it like we are and thus act like their country is falling apart when in reality they have some of highest quality of life in the world.
Yeah, but France is pretty dirty. The French are not as anal for cleanliness like the Germans or Swiss. The French are funny in a way in that they want to embrace refugees as a moral cause but treat them so badly. But they really are more of a public nuisance in terms of petty crime etc. than the French themselves. I saw one guy, of Middle East decent, walk up and snatch a train ticket from a sleeping Frenchman's hand. I think it's clear that unchecked immigration will hurt your culture.

Course, Pittsburgh is notorious for its trash in the streets. Maybe Pittsburgh needs a fleet of these.

Madvac sweepers for sidewalk, road, outdoor vacuum leaf, yard street sweepers, parking lot sweepers

Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
When I retire, I hope to move to a small historic town. I would love a college town. My wife though wants to wind up near a beach someplace. Some of the towns in New England are great beach towns but I we would want a milder winter. Basically, move Sewickley to the deep South by a beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh