Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:09 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
If you were "in", you'd know that being "in" is so out these days.
So basically Pittsburgh really isn't in. Heck I knew that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
I always liked Pittsburgh because it wasn't "in" or hip or trendy. I hate being a conformist, and now I feel like one. I just want everyone to know that I moved here before it was cool. If this keeps up, I'll move to Youngstown. lol

Old 12-28-2011, 11:17 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times

Devo - Through Being Cool - YouTube

Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 AM

482 posts, read 1,234,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I wish I was more optimistic about it, but the big corporate radio stations around here refuses to update thier playlists. Therefore the support is not here.

Look atr Radiohead. They are huge, but when was the last time they played Pittsburgh? They opened for Alanis Morrisette at Star Lake in the mid 90s. The only stations that play both bands are pretty much college radio and WYEP. None of those stations have enough money to help promote either band to perfome here.

Face it Arcade Fire won't come because they are still pretty much unknown here. Promoters would rather book Brett Michaels (been here three times this year, four last year, with and without Poison), Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kenney Chesney or Jimmy Buffet.

I emailed Opus One Productions once and they said that they wish they can get bands like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, MGMT or Band of Horses here, they told me that it's too much of a risk to book those kind of bands here because they are pretty much unknown here (including Arcade Fire, Muse, Mumford or Florence.)

I didn't hear of most of these bands until I got satelite radio and started listening to Alt Nation. It'd be nice if the local radio stations played more of this music, but I guess Nickelback takes priority over good music.

Last year, a few friends and I were tossing around the idea of going to London to see Muse. Would have been a nice trip.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
Hell, I got to see Dimmu Borgir and Mindless Self Indulgence here in Pittsburgh, how hard could it be to get some nobodies to come play somewhere like Mr Smalls?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
I didn't hear of most of these bands until I got satelite radio and started listening to Alt Nation. It'd be nice if the local radio stations played more of this music, but I guess Nickelback takes priority over good music.

Last year, a few friends and I were tossing around the idea of going to London to see Muse. Would have been a nice trip.
ITA. I think that's where the situation gets sticky. Local promoters can't rely on Sirius radio to promote local shows, because Sirius' audience covers the entire country. Local promoters have to rely on local radio stations to help promote the shows.

Does Sirius Radio have ratings for localized markets?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
I don't know if they do. Sirius is hardly the only game anymore either, though. I have Muse as part of the makeup of my heavily used Pandora station, and I get MGMT, Band of Horses, Arcade Fire, etc. on there regularly. In other words, Pandora is yet another way people are hearing these bands, but there may not be a localized way to measure that either.

Starting up a traditional radio station to play this stuff probably wouldn't make financial sense. But that doesn't mean there's no market for it. I'm not buying the "not known here" BS. How with such a huge college student and other tech-savvy population could they not be known here?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:34 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
By the time the Post says you are in, you are back out.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Hell, I got to see Dimmu Borgir and Mindless Self Indulgence here in Pittsburgh, how hard could it be to get some nobodies to come play somewhere like Mr Smalls?
Well, some of the nobodys like Mumford and Arcade Fire are actually headlining places bigger than Mr. Smalls nowadays.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I'm not buying the "not known here" BS. How with such a huge college student and other tech-savvy population could they not be known here?
I think it's because the older population is bigger than the college student population. Plenty of students still don't stay in Pittsburgh (not none have stayed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh