Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM

118 posts, read 235,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Exactly. I'm sure for similar reasons, South Side and Oakland have high rates as well, and those are some of the nicer places to live in the city.
Oh really? Have you lived in Oakland or South Side? I have. Property damage galore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Give me a break. Don't take everything at face value.

Mt. Oliver (city neighborhood) is literally entirely residential and doesn't get virtually any traffic from people outside of the neighborhood. The 7.0 per 100 citizens stat there is probably relatively accurate as a reflection of reality (and -- gasp to those who constantly malign Mt. Oliver -- it's not that bad!).

Bloomfield, comparatively, gets TONS of traffic from people outside of the neighborhood -- coming in to eat at its restaurants, hang out at its bars, shop there during the day, etc. There are thousands more people in Bloomfield each week than is accounted for by the # of citizens within it, so the "x crimes per 100 citizens" measure of crime is largely irrelevant.

If that's hard for you to understand: The Downtown stat is a more obvious example of this. 61.4 crimes per 100 residents of Downtown? Does that mean that 61% of people who live Downtown are the victims of crime? Of course not. It's actually probably indicative of a remarkably LOW level of crime Downtown, since something like 150,000 people work there each weekday, people visit the bars and cultural district amenities in the evening, people park there to go to the baseball games, etc. Judging # of crimes by residential population is essentially meaningless in this context.

Somehow I doubt that a little logic will stop you from believing that the sky is falling, though.

My word, you're hysterical! Do you need a nap?

Go buy and move into a house in Bloomfield for $150,000 then. I don't care.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,831 times
Weird. These sorts of conversations happen all over City-Data, so it's interesting to get some perspective. This thread had to be closed and another one started because of the length: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-thread-6.html

Apparently most of their city is fast going to hell as well...or things are improving. Here's a representative quote from their thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You are missing the big point about crime and murder in NYC, which really doesn't affect "regular" people. 80% of murders in NYC are by people who know the assailant, and 70% of those are drug related...so while you have those 18 murders, the reality is a very very small percentage would actually affect a "regular" person (i.e. noncriminal/non-drug person).

And this is why people are now moving into these transitioning neighborhoods, because there was a time where there was simply chaotic random violence, but today it is very targeted and predominatly drug related. So long as you stay out the drug trade and not hang out with the homeys in the projects at 3am, crime for the average NYer using basic street smarts and common sense even in these communities is a non-issue.

Yes there will be 18 murders, but its just drug dealers killing drug dealers at the end of the day, and not random acts of violence. Yes these communities are still poor, but being poor does not equal being a criminal, which is another lesson people have learned and why they move into these communities. The poor are just as much victims of these criminals as everyone else, and it only take a few bad apples to ruin a place...and at this point there are a few bad apples that are causing these problems.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_burgher View Post
It's not worth arguing with close-minded people.
I think we can all agree with that.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:26 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Part One crime was about 4.7 per 100. As I noted above, in Shadyside in 2001, it was 6.7 per 100. Of course it would have been INSANE to buy in Shadyside in 2001.
Quote:
South Side Flats had 14.6 Part One crimes per 100 people in 2001. I'm sure it would have been a TERRIBLE investment buying there!
I must say I'm really enjoying this flatulent cynicism. Keep it up!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:26 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times
Quote:
My word, you're hysterical! Do you need a nap?
When you can't rebut an argument, attack your opponent on weird, unrelated grounds. It works in politics; why not here?

Quote:
Go buy and move into a house in Bloomfield for $150,000 then. I don't care.
I was waiting for your blessing, so I really appreciate this.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:35 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Oh really? Have you lived in Oakland or South Side? I have. Property damage galore.
I've lived in Oakland for the past 5 years, and while cutting through the Hill District to the Strip District was the only time I was the victim of a crime.

Continue your ridiculous thrashing of our great city. I'm sure everyone on this forum loves it.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
When you can't rebut an argument, attack your opponent on weird, unrelated grounds. It works in politics; why not here?

I was waiting for your blessing, so I really appreciate this.

When people start fleeing the suburbs to the city, you're arguments will become valid.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Part One crime was about 4.7 per 100. As I noted above, in Shadyside in 2001, it was 6.7 per 100. Of course it would have been INSANE to buy in Shadyside in 2001.
Since when as shadyside a low rent district?

Old 05-13-2012, 05:02 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Since when as shadyside a low rent district?
Exactly. You are describing the crime rates in Bloomfield today as intolerably high, but until very recently they were higher in Shadyside, which has long been a thriving, desirable, and relatively expensive neighborhood.

The logical conclusion is that for those people who are interested in central, walkable, semi-urban neighborhoods in the first place, the crime rates in Bloomfield today are unlikely to be a serious negative consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh