Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:28 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Don't know if anyone has posted this yet, a P-G story about "blaring music" leading to "fatal stop":
Police say blaring music led to fatal stop
Yeah, so much shadiness in this case. Cops get to play judge, jury, and executioner because a suspect attempted to flee the scene. The only time they are allowed to use lethal force when a suspect is fleeing the scene is when the person inside is using deadly force against someone else. Plus the whole "gun on the lap" thing is suspect, why would you brandish against the police THEN run?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Don't forget about the young man killed in Arlington on the last day of 2011 either

Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
Get approval for a loan. There will be a fee (~$100, if I recall). Then you'll know how much you're really able to afford; a real estate agent will take you more seriously, once you start to really look, as well.

Try not to be deterred by all the talk about property taxes:
1. there is no escape from them, as landlords will factor it into the rent
2. they're not that bad...they will be rolled into your mortgage and your mortgage will still be less than the rent charged for an equivalent property, so it won't seem egregious to someone used to renting and then expecting to do the 30 yr. mortgage plan. We're not talking $500,000 assessments here!

I live and Brookline and really like it. It's close to Downtown via the Liberty Tunnel (or over Mt. Washington via Boggs). There is a nice shopping district, although it's a little patchy it has some vibrancy. The closest full grocery store is probably the Kuhn's in Banksville or Giant Eagle in Whitehall (at least I think it's Whitehall). There is a Mexican grocer on Brookline Blvd. that opened last year that is small but is pretty close to full service - they have a full butcher shop. Also Pitaland sells Mediterranean foods. There are a few other nice places as well, near the fire station and library. Brookline has a nice public recreation center and pool, if you are into those sorts of things.

My brother lives in Beechview so I get over there fairly often. It has a more urban feel and probably has a higher population density (which I now want to look into). I think it would be easier to find more houses there that need some fixing up than it would be in Brookline. The trolley runs through the middle of town, which is something you can't get in Mt. Oliver anymore; it runs to SHV and there are no problems with low ridership so it's not going anywhere.

Both Brookline and Beechview were ones you were shying away from, so sorry if it's unwanted, but I couldn't resist contributing, b/c if you have $3,000 in the bank now, like I think you said, they're not out of the question.

Have you checked into URA Buy in the Burgh?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
Brookline is pretty nice, I used to live in Overbrook.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
Have you checked into URA Buy in the Burgh?
Those houses all need significant rehab. Brookline would be high on my list if I was thinking of getting a mortgage to buy a home. I would also be looking at places like Windgap, Lincoln Place, Brentwood, and Observatory Hill, and some of the eastern suburbs, which are nice areas that tend to fly under the radar.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
The closest full grocery store is probably the Kuhn's in Banksville or Giant Eagle in Whitehall (at least I think it's Whitehall).
The closest grocer to Brookline is the Aldi on McNeilly which is just a stone's throw away. Don't forget about Cannon Coffee (love that place) and the pretzel shop too. Brookline is a hidden gem, I get coffee, real Mexican groceries, pastries, and Middle Eastern groceries all on the same street. Just don't tell anyone about it because I like the fact that it's currently sparsely populated.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The closest grocer to Brookline is the Aldi on McNeilly which is just a stone's throw away. Don't forget about Cannon Coffee (love that place) and the pretzel shop too. Brookline is a hidden gem, I get coffee, real Mexican groceries, pastries, and Middle Eastern groceries all on the same street. Just don't tell anyone about it because I like the fact that it's currently sparsely populated.
There's also the IGA on Broadway in Beechview. I always forget it's there and haven't been in it myself. But it's another option.

I've been meaning to chime in and say to SCR that if you're interested in Brookline or Beechview, I wouldn't rule them out. There are still bargains to be found in each neighborhood -- they may be fewer and farther between, but I know of a couple of places near me sold sub-$40,000 in the past year -- but each neighborhood is stable with, I think, a good outlook. There are interesting things happening in each business district. I love Cannon Coffee too and the guys who own it are young and enthusiastic about the neighborhood and very involved in the community. They're also involved in Brew on Broadway in Beechview.

BREW on Broadway community-owned coffee shop opens in Beechview

So there's a lot of energy in the area. Just keep your eyes open, and head over for a visit to the area as well.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 AM

56 posts, read 89,597 times
There was also that produce store on Brookline Blvd, but I am not sure if it closed or if it is only open during the warmer months.

I live in Brookline and it is possible to find a cheaper house but it's definitely getting harder. A friend however is in the process of buying a place in Beechview for around 40,000.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeh8 View Post
There was also that produce store on Brookline Blvd, but I am not sure if it closed or if it is only open during the warmer months.
It's still there, but I haven't seen it open in quite some time.

I've heard that Brookline has a bit of a drug problem with kids slanging (a friend of mine who lives there said that, not my words). Since you're a resident, does this hold any water?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 AM

56 posts, read 89,597 times
I am sure it exists just like anywhere, but I haven't really noticed it. I have had family living in brookline for a about 40 years now and from what I was told there was an issue in the late 80's / 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh