Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times

Advertisements

I know, but compared to New Wilmington, an hour is a big improvement.

I tend to agree, though. If you're going to move, and you know you're working in downtown, move closer and gain that time back. You can't do very much with that time commuting in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:38 AM

733 posts, read 987,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I know, but compared to New Wilmington, an hour is a big improvement.

I tend to agree, though. If you're going to move, and you know you're working in downtown, move closer and gain that time back. You can't do very much with that time commuting in the car.
Of course, there are also the obvious negatives of gas money and mileage put on the car that you could reduce by living in a place like Aspinwall.

Alright, I'll encourage you to check it out too because it is a pretty nice little part of town, but it will probably feel too urban for you given your initial post. Take a look, maybe you'll luck out and enjoy the neighborhood. Then you can have the best of both worlds. If not, I'll go back to the Zelie recommendation. It's definitely the antithesis of city and quite nice in its own right.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
She wants a small rural town. She's in New Wilmington. That's corn fields, horse drawn buggies, covered bridges.

Aspinwall would feel like a city neighborhood to her. The houses are so close together--jammed between a highway on one side and busy Freeport Road on the other. I like Aspinwall, but it's not what the OP wants.

Nothing inside Allegheny County compares to the rural small town feel she wants. Maybe Oakmont but not really.

Zeli and Harmony and the others in that immediate area are the best matches.

Saxonburg would be good too but the commute probably sucks.

There's Freeport. That wouldn't be too bad of a commute. It's a straight shot North on 28. Only 35 minutes.

If she has friends in New Wilmington, she probably wants to live near I79 though.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Sure, lotta variables there that could sway the decision. You never know for sure until you throw out a few ideas and see.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Sure, lotta variables there that could sway the decision. You never know for sure until you throw out a few ideas and see.
True. Aspinwall is a little town after all.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,698 times
Hey thanks everybody for the suggestions. I pass a few of these on 79 on my way to work so I will be sure to check them out. If you have any more ideas please throw them out there. I really do appreciate them. Also, since there aren't many rentals in some of these areas, how would some of you recommend locating them? I did a quick craigslist search during lunch but couldn't find too much. Definitely looking for something cheap and small.
Thanks again everybody
Glassejt

Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
I had another thought, whether not not it applies. If you are young and female and will be or looking for a mate, the cities with the urban amenities and graduate schools and civic organizations and the college-educated males are a much better place to look. College is a wonderful time to look for a mate. The selection gets reduced significantly when you enter the work world. And the small towns of western PA are not a great place to look for a suitable mate, because the population is older and poorer than what you'll find in urban areas. It's just an idea I thought I'd toss out, because I know what the small town & rural dating scene is like for anyone past age 22 or so. There is a lot of alcohol abuse and bedhopping and domestic abuse out in the boonie towns nowadays, because most small towns in outlying areas lost the one or two employers that used to keep the place livable. New Wilmington is clean and pastoral, but lots of other small towns are crude and rude and unsafe. Not much wholesome family life there, really, unless you are Amish. If you want marriage and family, move where you'll find a quality mate who wants the same lifestyle.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:53 PM

24 posts, read 20,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
I had another thought, whether not not it applies. If you are young and female and will be or looking for a mate, the cities with the urban amenities and graduate schools and civic organizations and the college-educated males are a much better place to look. College is a wonderful time to look for a mate. The selection gets reduced significantly when you enter the work world. And the small towns of western PA are not a great place to look for a suitable mate, because the population is older and poorer than what you'll find in urban areas. It's just an idea I thought I'd toss out, because I know what the small town & rural dating scene is like for anyone past age 22 or so. There is a lot of alcohol abuse and bedhopping and domestic abuse out in the boonie towns nowadays, because most small towns in outlying areas lost the one or two employers that used to keep the place livable. New Wilmington is clean and pastoral, but lots of other small towns are crude and rude and unsafe. Not much wholesome family life there, really, unless you are Amish. If you want marriage and family, move where you'll find a quality mate who wants the same lifestyle.
Do you always stereotype rural people like that? If a rural town doesn't have a college we're "crude and rude and unsafe".

You elitists/liberals have a very skewed idea of what it's like out here. We DON'T live in shacks, have 2 teeth, 10 uneducated kids...

Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
Do you always stereotype rural people like that? If a rural town doesn't have a college we're "crude and rude and unsafe".

You elitists/liberals have a very skewed idea of what it's like out here. We DON'T live in shacks, have 2 teeth, 10 uneducated kids...

No m'aam, sir, or whatever you are. I've "stereotyped" them based on living here. I was raised in rural NW PA not far from New Wilmington, I got a college education, part of it locally, and I moved away by the time I was 21. I had a nice life in an economically thriving area, not in PA. I returned here in 2006, I was shocked to find out just how much this region has decayed, morally and socially and economically since the start of the demise of the steel mills and the other heavy industry. I have thoroughly investigated the social scene, the local singles organizations, the churches, and the communities. Overall, there is an aging population, a steady decline in educational level, a decline in employment, a decline in the middle class, a decline in gross incomes, a decline in the number of young people sticking around here after college, and I don't see too many young males of the area expressing a keen interest in marrying and being financially strapped by a family. They aren't too interested in raising children, either. Dating to find a mate has been replaced by hookups. The guys run with the guys, and the women are just something to be used for entertainment.

All of the local college-degreed young women that I know want to get out of this place to meet men who want something more from them than a couple of cases of beer and a hookup. Don't tell me what the region is like. I know it like the back of my hand. Additionally, I have nieces and nephews who grew up here and have moved away. Now that they've experienced modern and progressive, they also agree that they are much better off where they moved to.

I told the OP that if she wants a mate (in case she is looking), she should consider the cities, because there are more prospects there than than in decaying small towns that are losing population and experiencing increases in crime. There are also more activities and social activities for single women in cities, too.

Is there anything else that you'd like to fight about?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,698 times
Wow this went of topic. Don't know where the female thing came from but I'm a guy. I'm trying to stay near New Wilmington cause I have alot of good friends still in school there. I plan on being there almost every weekend. Cities are a little too busy for me and I like to have my own space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh