Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:04 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times

Advertisements

I freaking love this company. With its new beautiful headquarters recently moved to Pittsburgh's SouthSide (from North Pittsburgh originally), I have decided to gush a little bit about this extraordinary company.

In being a young adult, I've always liked American Eagle (long before I knew it was bred from Pittsburgh blood). It's always had clean and fun colors and styles at very reasonable prices. As more years pass by, though, I find myself incredibly impressed with how far this company has come. They have the best fitting and most stylish jeans in the industry and they have become so trendy and yet remained so down-to-earth that AE now dominates my wardrobe.

It's revenue speaks for itself. During these bumpy economic times, AE has never seen profit decreases in over 14 months and throughout it's run has posted phenomenal gains, even shocking Wall Street. Gap and Limited would die to say that. AE has taken a huge chunk away from Abercrombie & Fitch (A&F has sued AE four times in the last decade and lost every law suit). It is considered in the industry almost unprecedented in its success, quality, and nonstop growth. It is the retail company that will not quit and this during a time when retail is struggling badly.

I am currently in NYC and let me tell you, it is such a joy to walk into the three American Eagle's that are in Manhattan (I've been to all three). One is in Soho, one is on Broadway, and one is mid-town a few blocks from Times Square. Now there is no such thing as a "slow" store in any of these areas, but walking into AE just floored me. You would fall over if you saw how busy and successful these stores are. The one near Times Square averages over 50k worth of merchandise per DAY. That is unbelievable.

Be proud of this company, it is run by, designed by, and led by Pittsburgh HQ and many of the people are locals. In a city economy based upon health care, technology, and finance, it is nice to have this gem and hopefully more will follow.

It helps to love their clothes, too, which I do. :P

Last edited by guylocke; 08-31-2007 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 09:14 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Barely heard of them

But good luck to them and hope they continue to thrive in the manner that you say. By the way, any asian, black, or hispanic friends?

Old 08-31-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
By the way, any asian, black, or hispanic friends?
Erm, yes, should I not? LOL.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:09 AM

BTW, not that it matters at all, but I got a little confused in my NYC streets. The one on Broadway is the one in Soho, the other is in Chelsea, and the other on 34th off of Times Square. There we go, lol.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:31 AM

492 posts, read 2,372,151 times
I had no idea that AE was doing so well and only recently realized it was headquartered in Pgh... Thanks for the enlightenment!

I only have one AE shirt, but it is my favorite and I wear it all the time even though its several years old! I'm going to have to add a few more to my wardrobe...

Old 09-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I had no idea that AE was doing so well and only recently realized it was headquartered in Pgh... Thanks for the enlightenment!

I only have one AE shirt, but it is my favorite and I wear it all the time even though its several years old! I'm going to have to add a few more to my wardrobe...
Great!! Oh, btw, today I talked to my friend who does their website, and she said just this past month they saw a sales decrease (not as bad as their competitors, though) so that 14 month run might have just came to and end. Retail is doing REALLY bad right now.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:44 PM

136 posts, read 691,400 times
AE is cool my favorite store for clothes of that style. Abercrombie sucks for anyone that isn't shaped like a stick. plus the store just oozes snobby. I can't put my finger on it but the people that work there and I know they are all just kids at the retail level but they just are douches and the AE kids always seem nice.

they have a huge store in king of prussia. awesome place!

Old 09-01-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I can't put my finger on it but the people that work there and I know they are all just kids at the retail level but they just are douches
They are trained to act like that, that's why you feel that way. They actually go through training on how to do it in a way that won't be too insulting but remain "cool and mysterious." They are to tastefully ignore their shoppers and acknowledge them with not much more than a head nod, if that. You go to them for help, not the other way around. In NYC they have two models out front of their flag ship store that do nothing but model their clothes and the guy is often shirtless and the girl is often just in a bra-thingy (I guess we are supposed to look at their jeans?). The company is dripping in law suits over discrimination. It's a really horrible company, I know this because my boyfriend was assistant manager there for a while. He said once he wanted to hire a girl but his manager didn't allow it because she had braces.

I refuse to even step into their stores. I did in NYC, though, just to see their flag ship store, which, btw, is really beautiful and spectacular.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:57 PM

136 posts, read 691,400 times
interesting...Hollister is even worse!

Old 09-01-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
interesting...Hollister is even worse!
Same company, lol. Hollister is a child of A&F. Hollister is just lame, their styling is ugly, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh