Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Ya, we voted ourselves a light-rail system that will eventually run all over the metro area. My DD uses it in Denver proper.

When I was a kid, most families had one car that the main wage earner (usually the husband back then) took to work. Mom and the kids rode the bus, walked or waited for Dad to get home. Now everyone has a car as soon as they turn 16. Makes for a lot of traffic. It's the same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
When I was a kid, most families had one car that the main wage earner (usually the husband back then) took to work. Mom and the kids rode the bus, walked or waited for Dad to get home. Now everyone has a car as soon as they turn 16. Makes for a lot of traffic. It's the same here.
We always had two cars even when I was very little in the early 60s, but my dad commuted via bus into downtown.

When he would drive his car, he'd park at Three River's Stadium for excersise and he'd walk across the bridge to/from Gateway Center.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I disagree about the congestion. I just asked my DH "do you think the roads in Pittsburgh are not congested?" and he laughed. Don't kid yourself. It's as much of a mess as most places at rush hour.
People who move here from other metropolitian areas are always impressed with how quickly rush hour traffic moves. They think Pittsburgh traffic is a breeze. The OP is coming from the D.C. area so I'm certain Pittsburgh's traffic is much more desirable. I have friends who live in the D.C. suburbs. It takes them forever to get anywhere. The main point of my post is that she can get from Shaler or Fox Chapel into Shadyside, Squirrel Hill or Oakland within 10 to 15 minutes. There's very little traffic from the Shaler or Fox Chapel into Oakland. It usually moves effortlessly at any hour of the day. That means she can have the suburbs and still access Indian and Thai restaurants within 10 minutes if she choses a house in Shaler or Fox Chapel. That's a fact so there's really nothing to argue about.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:02 PM

59 posts, read 312,016 times
Saint Joseph, from what I've read, and what people here have written, is a great place to send your kids if you're in the PGH area. I really dont think you can go wrong in any of the catholic high schools in the pittsburgh area, from vincentian to serra, they're all reputable.. Sacred Heart of Coraopolis is a blue ribbon catholic school or something like that, worth a look...

Old 09-03-2007, 08:04 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
Saint Joseph, from what I've read, and what people here have written, is a great place to send your kids if you're in the PGH area.
Really? You've read and heard that? That makes me so happy! We are so low-key and usually several hundred dollars less expensive than the others.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 6,313 times
Hi Beth Ann. First, I'm biased toward Vincentian Academy - three children have already graduated from there and have moved onto fine colleges, and one is a student there and doing very well. The North Hills area has numerous good parochial elementary schools. Check out their websites on the Diocese of Pittsburgh website: Diocese of Pittsburgh

Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
If I were returning to Pgh, I'd look into Aquinas Academy. Our kids are currently attending an independent Catholic school affiliated with Opus Dei, and that's where I heard about Aquinas, which has no formal OD affiliation, but was founded by some OD families. You don't have to worry that the kids are getting Catholic Lite, and it's an independent school, so you don't have to deal with the bureaucratic stuff associated with both public and diocesan schools. These days, many Catholic schools ARE public schools with uniforms and a veneer of religion, so you are right to be vigilant.

claremarie I couldnt help but smile when I read your comment. I currently send my 6 children to Aquinas, and have done so since its inception. Leslie Mitros, the headmistress, is a good friend of mine and does a fantastic job of running the school. My kids love it and shine there. There are so many great opportunities for them. Again thank you for your comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh