Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:59 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,693 times

Advertisements

What about the people who live in declining city neighborhoods? Your home was previously assessed at $60,000.00 and overnight your home is assessed at $95,000.00. Your taxes will go up and you cannot possibly sell the home for the assessed value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 03:06 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Point One is definitely more important than Point Two. I think the wealthy and/or politically active are going to be disproportionately represented in the increase group (more on that in a moment), but it may well still be that a majority of the upper-half of the household wealth distribution will get a modest tax increase. The problem is they are not as likely to rally to support politicians who comply with the reassessment.

But on Point Two, I do think the commercial property owners make a HUGE difference--maybe not so much in terms of numbers, but in terms of their ability to translate their interests into political action.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
Why not just wait until 2013 instead of rushing the process? Thinking lots of people will get tax cuts is purely speculative at this point in time given tax rates have yet to be set or released.
It isn't "purely" speculative. Assuming the anti-windfall laws are followed by the vast majority of jurisdictions--which is an assumption well-grounded in history as well as basic political logic--it is a certainty that MANY property owners will get a tax cut. Exactly how many depends on the numbers, but at least given the preliminary numbers released by the City, it is very likely that MOST property owners in the City will get a tax cut. And I think it is indeed speculation, but "informed" speculation, that a similar dynamic will play out in most parts of the County.

But my real answer to your question is that it would suck to let the County get away with its bad behavior. The County has deliberately delayed and in fact sabotaged this reassessment, and now is trying to use the predictable results of its foot-dragging to argue for an extension. So in addition to such an extension delaying tax justice for many, and probably most, property owners in the County, it would also be encouraging future bad behavior in similar circumstances.

I might note I think Wettick sees things the same way, except he is sympathetic to the taxing jurisdictions which are getting caught in the middle of all this. Unfortunately, the County may well succeed by effectively holding those jurisdictions hostage, but again that would suck as an outcome.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
What about the people who live in declining city neighborhoods? Your home was previously assessed at $60,000.00 and overnight your home is assessed at $95,000.00. Your taxes will go up and you cannot possibly sell the home for the assessed value.
The vast majority of property owners in declining neighborhoods are likely to see their taxes get cut, not increased. Note that doesn't mean their assessment went down (although in some cases it might)--it just means their assessment went up at a lower rate than the total property pool went up.

And in fact if their properties went up in value at a higher rate than the total property pool went up, that would call into question the assumption they are in fact living in a declining neighborhood.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:08 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Mr. Fitzgerald is the classic politician. Weeks before he took office he voted for a 1 mill county tax increase. Upon taking office he throws out the new assessments that would have lowered taxes for a lot of people. Now EVERYONE in the county will see their taxes go up. Plus, 11 million tax dollars go down the drain.

Seriously, he mailed out the letters today? That is one quick printer.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
The politicians and the TV media have been feeding off each other through this. KDKA-TV just called it a "dramatic increase"when clearly it is not. At least the print media have been covering it more responsibly. Even with a 44% increase in my assessment, I would have seen a tax decrease. According to Chris Brown's blog, about 60% of people would have seen lower taxes.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,215 times
..... * sigh * .....

Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Nice to see a politician catering to and pandering to stupid people who are already foaming at the mouth WITHOUT knowing what their new overall tax bills will be. That's something one never sees nowadays!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Nice to see a politician catering to and pandering to stupid people who are already foaming at the mouth WITHOUT knowing what their new overall tax bills will be. That's something one never sees nowadays!
People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:04 AM

Decent article summarizing why Fitzgerald can't really win:

Experts say Fitzgerald runs risk of being cited for contempt of court

Two wrinkles I would add.

First, I don't see any inherent reason why Wettick has to go through Fitzgerald to do anything: he can issue orders to lower County officials, and if they don't obey he can also fine and/or stick them in jail. I kinda doubt the whole County bureaucracy really wants to lose a bunch of money and go to jail in a futile political gambit.

Second, it was pretty jerky of Fitzgerald to tell everyone to give up on informal appeals. I assume his logic is that he can effectively hold them hostage to keep Wettick from continuing with the reassessment process, but he might have tried this too early . . . there is still plenty of time for Wettick to put the informal appeals back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh