Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times

Advertisements

I worked in Upper St Clair most of my time living here, and there are a mix of people.... alot of people who have money that are very gracious and friendly, and equally a lot of people who act as those they have alot of money and feel they are entitled to the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I worked at a grocery store so it was bagging their groceries, retrieving items from them in the back room, answering absurd questions, collecting their carts, hearing insane complaints at customer service, etc. People looked at me like I had 3 heads when I told them I didn't know if we carried caviar. I got the feeling that we were viewed as peasants from most people.

You really get to know the community when you're a middle man between them and nourishment.
Pardon me Aquateen but you worked there. You were supposed to know the merchendise, be it caviar or fava beans or toilet paper.

As far as the police in Mt lebo goes, "they would fine their mothers if she drove 10 miles past the legal limit". I quoted from the guy who teaches kids in Mt lebo high school how to drive. I myself got 2 tickets from them for speeding on Cedar blvd (35mph on a 25 zone). That area is a cow cash for lebo.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Pardon me Aquateen but you worked there. You were supposed to know the merchendise, be it caviar or fava beans or toilet paper.

Not sure if serious....

Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I worked at a grocery store so it was bagging their groceries, retrieving items from them in the back room, answering absurd questions, collecting their carts, hearing insane complaints at customer service, etc. People looked at me like I had 3 heads when I told them I didn't know if we carried caviar. I got the feeling that we were viewed as peasants from most people.

You really get to know the community when you're a middle man between them and nourishment.
I worked in a grocery store in Turtle Creek when I was in high school. People were no better there. I think people in general just have a bad attitude in the grocery store. Grocery shopping is not a fun activity (at least I don't think so) and generally not something people look forward to doing. Most people just want to get in and get out and have no patience. They don't like to spend more than a couple of seconds trying to find something, and tend to have short fuses/attitudes when there.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:27 PM

38 posts, read 80,121 times
I speak as someone who has never lived in Mt. Lebanon, so take this with whatever grain of salt you think appropriate. I have, of course, been there many times and know many people who live there.

An important thing to know about the greater Pittsburgh area is that it's very consistently divided into specific areas where people tend to stay: the city, the northern suburbs, the eastern suburbs and the southern suburbs. I grew up in the North Hills. There was essentially never any reason for me to go to the South Hills. If you live in the South Hills, there will virtually never be any reason to go to the North Hills or the eastern suburbs (Monroeville, etc.)

My experience, again, as an outsider, has been that Mt. Lebanon is a gorgeous, clean, beautiful up-scale suburb with a lot of actual charm. However, the downsides: 1) the roads/infrastructure EVERYWHERE in Pittsburgh are bad, but in the South Hills, they are insane, which I assume has to do with being A) set in some fairly steep hills and B) older than many of the other suburbs. The roads there are narrow, winding and during high-traffic times, temming with traffic. There is very little in the way of logical layout, outside of the biggest business districts.

And it's on the other side of Mt. Washington from Pittsburgh. What that means is that if you work in the city, you will sit on your a** on the Liberty Bridge getting into and out of the city for long periods of time. When I drive by the Liberty Bridge on-ramp on my way to Oakland, I often reflect to myself "why on earth do people do this to themselves?"

That said, it's one of the most prized suburban neighborhoods in Western Pa., has gorgeous homes, tons of shopping and I assume there's a reason all the upper-class and upper-middle class people in Pittsburgh seem to want to live.

For what it's worth.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:38 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgonk View Post
And it's on the other side of Mt. Washington from Pittsburgh. What that means is that if you work in the city, you will sit on your a** on the Liberty Bridge getting into and out of the city for long periods of time. When I drive by the Liberty Bridge on-ramp on my way to Oakland, I often reflect to myself "why on earth do people do this to themselves?"
After the parking chair thread, I can say you and I think a lot alike! If we lived in Mt Lebo and worked downtown, my ass would be on the train every day. It's amazing to me how comfortable people are around here sitting in unnecessary traffic situations.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:45 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Those are just the dummies who don't know the good shortcuts. And maybe this is because I've never been on time to work, but there's almost never traffic on the bridge getting into the city in the mornings.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-12-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 02:57 PM

270 posts, read 340,708 times
Quote:
the roads/infrastructure EVERYWHERE in Pittsburgh are bad, but in the South Hills, they are insane

Exaggerated. Go live in D.C, L.A., Dallas, etc.- the commuter traffic is much worse, although their roads may be in better shape, there is much, much more traffic on them, which makes Pgh traffic pretty tame by comparison even in the South Hills.

Quote:
if you work in the city, you will sit on your a** on the Liberty Bridge getting into and out of the city for long periods of time
There's the exception- that route is bad. No getting around that one.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:03 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Those are just the dummies who don't know the good shortcuts.
Or don't take another ramp onto the Bridge. On days that I drive to work, I can leave my office at 5:00 downtown, walk six blocks to the First Avenue Parking, pay for parking, drive out of the garage, down Ross Street, turn on Forbes, get on the ramp to the Liberty Bridge and go over the bridge and through the tunnel and walk in my door at 5:35. I live on the far side of Brookline in the corner that borders Mt. Lebo.

I've lived East, West and South. I find the Liberty Bridge to be the least backed up compared to the Parkway East, or Fort Pitt Bridge at 5:00. (Not that I took those routes often when I lived in those directions, but I did get stuck doing so on occasion.)

Old 01-13-2012, 08:47 AM

38 posts, read 80,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post

Exaggerated. Go live in D.C, L.A., Dallas, etc.- the commuter traffic is much worse, although their roads may be in better shape, there is much, much more traffic on them, which makes Pgh traffic pretty tame by comparison even in the South Hills.

There's the exception- that route is bad. No getting around that one.
those cities are like ten times the size of pittsburgh. there are advantages to living in a midsize city, a large one being that traffic isn't nearly as bad as it is in those places, even when it is bad. why move to a smaller city and set yourself up for one of the two or three worst commutes there, when that's so easy to avoid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh