Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 AM
 
43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Reputation: 30721

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
They FREAKED out when we told them that. I know we can ask the district for that. As a matter of fact, I mailed the district person dealing with SE since last May and still have not heard 1 word back; (that was after they originally told us he would continue into a full day and not half day).
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I do have everything in writing. I am drowning in papers as of now.
Are you sending these letters certified mail? If not, are you dropping them off at the office and having the secretary sign your copy? You need proof that the letters were received. Email doesn't count.

Have you identified a school that has appropriate placement? If so, you need to take it to the next level and specifically write asking for them to pay for that placement. Then follow all of the appeals procedures. You have to do everything by the book. The law is there for you but it won't help you if you don't follow the exact procedures.

I think I warned you about this when you were considering Mt. Lebo before you moved there. The BEST school districts aren't always truly the best school districts. But you're there now so you might as well fight the good fight and make them follow the law.

Have you been in contact with the local parents group for special education? You need those people! They're the ones who can guide you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2012, 08:17 AM
 
Location: O'Hara Twp.
4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Reputation: 1611
I think you should probably be spending your time looking for an attorney that specialized in special ed law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
Reputation: 2141
Well I may if things escalate. All though I would rather find a way to lobby the Gov about this and actually acomplish something so others don't have to deal with this nonsense considering there isn't a cure available yet, and 1 in 110 kids are diagnosed every year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think you should probably be spending your time looking for an attorney that specialized in special ed law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
Reputation: 2141
Yes, all certified.

Yes they do have the placement, its how they "handle" it that has us concerned.

I haven't because I haven't had time to identify some close by yet. I don't have a lot of time to drive too far between their school schedule, my 2y/old and trying to find work, manage the household, my school etc. Been a bit strapped for time, but I'm hoping once he settles into full day again next school yr, i'll have more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Are you sending these letters certified mail? If not, are you dropping them off at the office and having the secretary sign your copy? You need proof that the letters were received. Email doesn't count.

Have you identified a school that has appropriate placement? If so, you need to take it to the next level and specifically write asking for them to pay for that placement. Then follow all of the appeals procedures. You have to do everything by the book. The law is there for you but it won't help you if you don't follow the exact procedures.

I think I warned you about this when you were considering Mt. Lebo before you moved there. The BEST school districts aren't always truly the best school districts. But you're there now so you might as well fight the good fight and make them follow the law.

Have you been in contact with the local parents group for special education? You need those people! They're the ones who can guide you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 AM
 
43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Reputation: 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Well I may if things escalate. All though I would rather find a way to lobby the Gov about this and actually acomplish something so others don't have to deal with this nonsense considering there isn't a cure available yet, and 1 in 110 kids are diagnosed every year!
That's a complete waste of your time. There are laws already in place. The state enforces those laws. The state will investigate if you report the school district. The state can't help parents who don't follow the process defined by law. Parents in the special education support group can guide you through the steps you need to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Yes, all certified.

Yes they do have the placement, its how they "handle" it that has us concerned.
If an appropriate placement exists within the district, you aren't helping by dragging your feet.

You need to get the ball rolling. You need to appeal following specific procedures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I haven't because I haven't had time to identify some close by yet. I don't have a lot of time to drive too far between their school schedule, my 2y/old and trying to find work, manage the household, my school etc. Been a bit strapped for time, but I'm hoping once he settles into full day again next school yr, i'll have more time.
Every district has one. Below is the information (including email address) for your district right from the school district's website.

I called the PTA President and got Debbie's the phone number (DMing it to you) too. It took me 3 minutes to get all of this info.

Quote:
The Mt. Lebanon Special Education Advisory Council is a collaboration of parents, teachers, administrators, and school board members. We are composed of four committees: communication, transition, education, and frequently asked questions (FAQ). The Council is dedicated to support the special education department and the families it serves. We strive to assist special needs students to reach their highest potential. In partnership with the district's mission, we are committed to provide the best education possible for each and every student.

Meetings occur once a month and focus on district-wide strengths and needs for improvement regarding special education issues and inclusion practices. In addition to monthly meetings, SEAC sponsors parent information sessions. Topics of the information sessions are based on requests from parents. Family socials are also scheduled several times during the school year. The family socials provide an opportunity for parents to attend school related presentations while their children attend supervised social activities. Contact Ms. Debbie Jozwiak at Seacmtlebanon@aol.com.

http://www.mtlsd.org/specialeducatio...tresources.asp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
Reputation: 2141
Got it, and left her a message, thank you much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
 
43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Reputation: 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Got it, and left her a message, thank you much!

You're welcome. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM
 
270 posts, read 340,708 times
Reputation: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel_in_PA View Post



When we looked at houses in Mt. Lebo area, we found may beautiful places. However, we noticed that many were older, and had some common older features (smaller closets, etc.). That may be a generalization, but it is what we notice.

That's why we bought in USC- also having school buses for your kids is nice. USC may also have the edge a bit in school district rankings but the reputation of both is very, very good.

If you want a post-1950 house with larger rooms, 2-car garage, master bath, etc. you can find it in Mt. Lebo but it will be on the outskirts of town, and at that point you might as well be living in USC, since a lot of the uniqueness of central Mt. Lebo goes away (charming old buildings, nice downtown, walkable, etc). There are lots of beautiful old homes in central Mt Lebo but expect to find dungeon-like unfinished basements, tiny single car garages, and small bedrooms/closets.

Taxes in both towns are high, but USC just finished remodeling all their schools- Mt Lebo just started so there will be construction mess, questions about how to pay for it all, etc. that USC already went thru.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 08:35 AM
 
69 posts, read 26,596 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Just curious what kind of interaction you had vis a vis Mt.Lebanon , etc., residents? I won't dispute that some can be "snooty", but in my experience, as I have stated earlier, it's usually the younger, newer residents. You know, with the leased Mercedes-Benz, and a mortgage up the wazoo, not the long time resident, who may be loaded, and drives a 5 year old Buick or Caddy.
Those people are no different as a whole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
994 posts, read 501,438 times
Reputation: 588
Quote:
Those people are no different as a whole
You know, you're responding to a comment from over 8 years ago right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top