Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
It's disappointing to see other people actually defend these horrible practices.

I'm not defending, I'm simply saying, it's a beer distributor, and in todays rude society, my expectations would automatically not be very high for customer service or ambience in a.........beer distributor.

I bought some Post Road pumpkin beer at Mcbroom Beer distributor this fall. I came in and stood for close to 10 minutes before the guy came out, apparently taking a whiz while I was waiting. He was one of the most non personable people I've spoke to in some time, but the place is convenient, and I wasn't going to chase all over Pittsburgh just to find someone pleasant. I've got plenty of attitude to give back to anyone who chooses to give it to me first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why customers need knowledgable workers at beer distributors. Don't you already know what beer you like?
Not all of us grew up drinking beer in the back of Billy's pickup.

I've had maybe three brands in my life. And I didn't particularly like any of them except for cooking with.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:23 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,296 times
Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out why customers need knowledgable workers at beer distributors. Don't you already know what beer you like?
Yes. However, I like to try new things. When I'm looking to sit out on the porch and enjoy a beer, I prefer something better than a watered down coors light. Knowledgeable sales people can make intelligent suggestions as to what may tickle my fancy.

Sent from my alarm clock.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Not all of us grew up drinking beer in the back of Billy's pickup.

I've had maybe three brands in my life. And I didn't particularly like any of them except for cooking with.
I guess I don't understand beer drinkers. I don't like beer. I assume they all taste the same---varying degrees of gross.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 PM

I imagine they probably feel the way about whatever terrible thing you like.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:29 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
I would, coming from Ontario. Not necessarily a suit and tie, but nicely dressed, good hygiene, and good customer service. "The Beer Store" chain in Ontario is a privately-owned (government regulated) monopoly, and the OP's experiences are nothing like what I've seen in the many "Beer Stores" I've been to there. Not even close.
Ontario has it's own problems when it comes to beer distribution... The price of beer in Ontario would make you choke for instance... See for yourself. The 'Big 10' Brands | The Beer Store
As well, there aren't that many locations in Ontario to buy beer either... At least compared to Quebec or Western Canada where beer is available in every Quik-E-Mart and Costco in many places...

That's what happens when you have a private monopoly.. At least Pennsylvania doesn't have one large monopoly.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Ontario has it's own problems when it comes to beer distribution... The price of beer in Ontario would make you choke for instance... See for yourself. The 'Big 10' Brands | The Beer Store
As well, there aren't that many locations in Ontario to buy beer either... At least compared to Quebec or Western Canada where beer is available in every Quik-E-Mart and Costco in many places...

That's what happens when you have a private monopoly.. At least Pennsylvania doesn't have one large monopoly.
Except for liquor... and an 18% tax on it, to boot.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:43 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post

Why would it make me choke? I lived there for 24 lovely years, so I wouldn't be surprised. I personally had no problem with the price either. I prefer high alcohol taxes to the difference being added to income taxes or general sales taxes. Secondly, it's really not that hard to find a beer store. I grew up in small town Ontario and virtually every town, even ones with as few as 1000 people, had one. In several small towns that were too small for the Beer Store or the LCBO to want to have a full franchise there, convenience stores partner up with them and sell beer/liquor themselves. However, like I said, ideologically I am opposed to there being a monopoly, a privately-owned one at that. None of the above is relevant to my point though, that they don't have the widespread problems that the OP faces, despite the lack of competition. My post had a specific context.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:51 AM

I prefer government cutbacks to increases in taxes.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
I guess I don't understand beer drinkers. I don't like beer. I assume they all taste the same---varying degrees of gross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
I imagine they probably feel the way about whatever terrible thing you like.
Play nicely, North Hills kids!

I personally don't drink beer. I live up to the stereotype and prefer fewer (yet pricier) mixed drinks---margaritas, martinis, cosmopolitans, etc.---when I want to get buzzed in prepration of karaoke or shaking my groove thang on the dance floor. With that being said I also feel as if asking that a CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE not treat customers like a burden or thorn in their sides, regardless of the prevailing industry they work within, isn't too much to ask. I feel the same way about being brushed off by fast-food employees as many on here do about beer distributor employees. I don't exactly make much money myself; however, I STILL take pride in what I do and greet everyone with a smile, regardless of how depressed I may be on that particular workday. It's not a customer's fault that I'm underemployed; it is my fault. Therefore, I really don't give a "pass" to any individual who works with the public who feels as if they can get away with being rude to the clientele they serve simply because "they don't get paid enough." MOST of us in this city aren't paid what we're worth. You won't find sympathy from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh