U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 AM

20,273 posts, read 30,729,444 times

Advertisements

Frommers has recognized the Pittsburgh Public Market as one of "America's Best Public Markets":

Pittsburgh Public Market in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - America's Best Public Markets Slideshow at Frommer's

Of course I think it is fair to say it is still a long way from the top public markets in the U.S. (places like the Reading Terminal Market or Pike Place Market), but it is just getting started and I could see it growing in prominence, particularly if the redevelopment plans for the Strip are fulfilled.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:52 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,211,235 times
I love the Public Market, but that is a huuuuggeeee stretch.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 AM

31,629 posts, read 71,957,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I love the Public Market, but that is a huuuuggeeee stretch.
Agreed. Are we talking about the market that occupies a small western portion of the Produce Terminal on Smallman Street? If so, then I'm surprised it garnered such a status given its very diminutive stature.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 AM

5,895 posts, read 6,269,909 times
I love the idea there, and even love some of the venders, but I don't know what Frommers was smoking in that no way is the place in the top anything of markets at its current state. I hope it grows and is a success, but I can't see half the current venders that are there staying in business when I see the stuff they are trying to sell.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,006,008 times
Don't how they could have missed Columbus North Market. West Side Market in Cleveland is fabulous! It was the highlight of my trip there.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 AM
gg

22,996 posts, read 21,834,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Don't how they could have missed Columbus North Market. West Side Market in Cleveland is fabulous! It was the highlight of my trip there.
Didn't feel like navigating that silly poll, but if Cleveland and Columbus aren't on the list and Pittsburgh is, it is a total joke. I have been to all of them and Pittsburgh's Public Market is obviously the worst of those listed. Not even a contest.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 AM

West Side Market is indeed on the list:

West Side Market in Cleveland, Ohio - America's Best Public Markets Slideshow at Frommer's

But generally, this list doesn't purport to be a ranking or otherwise comprehensive, it just says these are "some of America's best public markets."

Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 AM
gg

22,996 posts, read 21,834,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
West Side Market is indeed on the list:

West Side Market in Cleveland, Ohio - America's Best Public Markets Slideshow at Frommer's

But generally, this list doesn't purport to be a ranking or otherwise comprehensive, it just says these are "some of America's best public markets."
What about Columbus?

I really don't care for ours at all. Too bad the Civic Arena couldn't have been the public market. Now that would have been amazing. Guess we have the Strip though. Not good if it is raining, but kind of unique I guess.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM

6,324 posts, read 8,231,802 times
I haven't been down there so I can't judge it but I supposed this is good for the Public Market to get some publicity considering it just opened. IMO, I always thought a public terminal market was something that Pittsburgh really could have used that most other cities have too.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I haven't been down there so I can't judge it but I supposed this is good for the Public Market to get some publicity considering it just opened.
Indeed. As usual with these things, the fact of the recognition is what I find interesting (and in this case it doesn't even purport to be doing anything else).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh