Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 01:30 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times

Advertisements

I know a few folks that went to Central Catholic to avoid our awful city high schools and they enjoyed it. I'm not sure about the faith portion since they weren't religious but from what I gathered the overall experience was positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 01:40 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I've heard with Central it makes a big difference if you are in the Honors Program.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:45 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,742 times
Sweet Jesus, what a lot of weeping & gnashing of teeth! A modest request for a recommendation has turned into ( as so often does!) a transition into rants and outraged "morality."
I am Catholic, but not attend any parochial schools, but I believe that Central Catholic has an outstanding reputation, and is the alma mater of very many successful graduates, in Pittsburgh, and elsewhere.
The hazing was obviously repulsive, but will it scar those students for the rest of their lives? I am much older, but I certainly endured much more extended "treatment" in high school football, and USMC OCS, including being punched , along with the typical ongoing verbal abuse. Certainly not unique to me, and it "came with the territory" back then, and while perhaps not officially accepted, was condoned. Needless to say, it no longer is. It had no long term effect on me, physically, or mentality; one was not surprised by that type of behavior, and actually anticipated it. It was part of the rite of passage.
To me, the actions of some numbskull football players should not color one's view of an entire institution. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:08 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,150 times
Are you only considering schools in Pittsburgh proper, or do you mean in the entire metro area? What areas does your home search include? Also, keep in mind that if you live within a ten mile radius of a parochial school, your local school district will provide transportation.

Oakland (all girls) and St. Joseph's (co-ed), both made the Catholic School Honor Roll. Greensburg Central Catholic (co-ed) got an honorable mention for catholic identity.

2010 Catholic High School Honor Roll Top 50

Once North Catholic (which will be renamed Cardinal Wuerl North Cathlolic) finishes building its new facility in Cranberry Township, I imagine that it will become a very popular school. However, it keeps getting pushed back; the latest I heard it was scheduled to open for the 2013/14 school year. They did open a brand new elementary school, St. Killian's, across the street. Just as retail and real estate is booming in Cranberry Township, so is the Catholic population (and other religions, too, I assume).

Old 01-12-2012, 03:14 PM

147 posts, read 144,837 times
Thanks for the replies and advice, everyone. I do think the Central Catholic incident in 2002 was relevant, and I would not send my kids to a school where that kind of thing was pervasive or even known to be a risk. However, we Catholics do believe in redemption and change and I would hope the school has put an end to this behavior. Sounds to me like they ultimately did the right thing.

SCR mentioned my Front Royal inquiry and I appreciate his input there. FR and Pittsburgh are two of half a dozen cities we are looking at. FR has the kind of school we're interested in with Chelsea Academy www.chelseaacademy.org and the area is known to have a strong homeschooling community as well. But I wasn't sure about the music scene in FR and I have a large musical family. Pittsburgh has an incredible music scene, but I need to explore the educational options.

Geographically we would need to be within 30 minutes of St. Boniface in the Spring Hill-City View district.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:09 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
By the way, "The decision angered several parents" is not the same as "The decision angered the vast majority of parents".
You're suck a stickler for details.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 PM

Here we go!

Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh
Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh, a PreK through Grade 12, Private, Catholic School, Home Page

Aquinas Academy is one of the great success stories in independent Catholic education. Since its founding in 1996 as a college preparatory school for students in grades PreK-12, Aquinas has emerged as a recognized leader in academic excellence and character formation. Our graduates are being recruited by some of the nation's top colleges and universities. Our students' performance on standardized achievements tests ranks Aquinas among the very top schools nationwide, public or private. In addition, our students score well above average on the National Latin Exam, the college-level Advanced Placement Program tests, and other leading measures of learning and achievement. We are committed to offering students the finest education possible in a Catholic environment totally faithful to the magisterium. Mass is celebrated daily in the campus chapel and religion is a core subject in our curriculum. We also offer a full range of competitive sports teams and creative opportunities outside the classroom. Aquinas Academy is located on a pretty, 12-acre campus in the suburbs north of Pittsburgh, just minutes from the Pennsylvania Turnpike and other major highways. If you are looking for a Catholic academy with a top-flight, dedicated faculty, small class sizes, and a proven program for developing your child's intellectual gifts and moral virtues, Aquinas Academy is for you. We encourage you to explore our website and then pay us a visit.

If anyone here knows about this school, its location, etc., please do share. Thanks again.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:59 PM

236 posts, read 595,567 times
What about Seton La Salle Catholic High School?

www.slshs.org

Old 01-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Str8: Looks good for the most part, from the website. Seems to be strong academically, uniforms, good student conduct policies. Thanks for this. I think we'd prefer a more prominent faith emphasis. And the busty gal with the bare midriff in the "ministry" photos is worrisome. :-/

Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I went to Central Catholic in 9th and 10th grade and realized in hindsight that most of my classmates were full of ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh