Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,825 times

Advertisements

First, let me start by saying that i have no idea if this belongs in this forum. I searched for something similar on google and it led me here. I figured why not so here i am with my question.

Years ago, i noticed that my teeth needed some care. I did not have insurance so i kept putting it off figuring that i'd get it taken care of when i got a new job with insurance.

Well, i waited too long. Now, not only do i need basic care, but i need some cosmetic work done too. I still do not have insurance (or much money). To make matters worse, my self-confidence is crushed due to my teeth situation. It's really holding me back in all facets of my life including professionally. It's to the point where i'm caught in a viscous circle...I feel as though i can't get a decent job/insurance because of my teeth and i can't fix my teeth because i do not have a decent job/insurance.

If anyone has any advice or could point me in the right direction, i would appreciate it more than you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,820,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS5454 View Post
First, let me start by saying that i have no idea if this belongs in this forum. I searched for something similar on google and it led me here. I figured why not so here i am with my question.

Years ago, i noticed that my teeth needed some care. I did not have insurance so i kept putting it off figuring that i'd get it taken care of when i got a new job with insurance.

Well, i waited too long. Now, not only do i need basic care, but i need some cosmetic work done too. I still do not have insurance (or much money). To make matters worse, my self-confidence is crushed due to my teeth situation. It's really holding me back in all facets of my life including professionally. It's to the point where i'm caught in a viscous circle...I feel as though i can't get a decent job/insurance because of my teeth and i can't fix my teeth because i do not have a decent job/insurance.

If anyone has any advice or could point me in the right direction, i would appreciate it more than you know.
Maybe you could check out Pitt's dental school: University of Pittsburgh - School of Dental Medicine

Here's a previous thread on the subject: Pitt Dental School- have you been a patient there?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,558,019 times
Dental school is going to be your best bang for the buck. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,478,456 times
I think the large dental chain in the area offers financing. I am sorry but I forgot the name. Maybe it is Aspen Dental? Other dentists may offer financing as well.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,825 times
Thanks for all the replies.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times
If you get a quote of thousands of dollars, don't be discouraged and walk away without doing anything if you can't get financing. Just start paying for one tooth at a time. Have them start on the noticeable front teeth if there aren't any severely damaged teeth elsewhere that need saved first.

When it comes to the cosmetic work on the front teeth, it's worth it to find someone with skills. IUse the dental school for the back teeth, but consider paying a top quality dentist to do the cosmetic work on the front teeth.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,196,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you get a quote of thousands of dollars, don't be discouraged and walk away without doing anything if you can't get financing. Just start paying for one tooth at a time. Have them start on the noticeable front teeth if there aren't any severely damaged teeth elsewhere that need saved first.

When it comes to the cosmetic work on the front teeth, it's worth it to find someone with skills. IUse the dental school for the back teeth, but consider paying a top quality dentist to do the cosmetic work on the front teeth.

Interesting advice, and it seems counterintuitive to what I would have thought.

Work on back teeth, it would seem to me, would be more difficult and challenging for a dentist than what is right up front.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Interesting advice, and it seems counterintuitive to what I would have thought.

Work on back teeth, it would seem to me, would be more difficult and challenging for a dentist than what is right up front.
I base it on the OP caring about the aesthetics. With the back teeth, it doesn't matter what the work looks like, it only needs to be done properly for they function properly and don't decay further. With the front teeth, it requires skill to make the teeth look attractive and real. Not all dentists can do quality veneers, natural colored fillings, or rebuild front teeth that look natural. I wouldn't want a student working on the front of my front teeth.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:24 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,261,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I base it on the OP caring about the aesthetics. With the back teeth, it doesn't matter what the work looks like, it only needs to be done properly for they function properly and don't decay further. With the front teeth, it requires skill to make the teeth look attractive and real. Not all dentists can do quality veneers, natural colored fillings, or rebuild front teeth that look natural. I wouldn't want a student working on the front of my front teeth.
You are right, I went to the dental school many years ago inbetween jobs and had a routine gum cleaning. There were three students that needed to pass that block so we all agreed that they could split the cleaning. One kid killed my gums the second one was fair but the third one (I wish that I could have remebered his name) was way above execellent!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,208,144 times
Catholic Charities has a free dental clinic. You have to be able to prove you are below the income level that they have set, which I have no idea what that amount is.

PA Dental | Catholic Charities Free Health Care Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: