Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:28 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times

Advertisements

[quote=boylocke;1427774]. That money they send back to Mexico and Asia adds up to immense amounts of negative GDP. quote]

You do have a point there and I do agree with what you said.
But, I have to wonder if our own relatives didn't do the same exact thing a hundred years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I never said I did spend every penny I make. And I also never said that immigrants ought or need to be reinevesting their wages in American GDP. I just stated a fact, it's a problem for the American economy, and it is.

I did write this in that quote, maybe you missed it.
I did miss it. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess you're not as much of a bigot as I thought you were. J/K

Old 09-04-2007, 10:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
That's not ture either! Most Hispanics live in this country.
That's not the case with the migrant hispanics who come to southwestern Pennsylvania.

I think it's a good thing because Pittsburghers are still willing to do most blue collar jobs. When Pittsburghers quit doing those jobs, there will be a need for uneducated immigrants. That's just not the case right now.

It's much better if the immigration comes as needed. Right now, Pittsburgh doesn't need it because our residents do the jobs that are available. Reading has a large hispanic population because of their mushroom farms. We just dont' have that need in Pittsburgh at this time.

California's education system is in a shambles because of the immigrants. The public schools no longer have the liberal arts because the funding is used for "english as second language" classes. I find it extremely ironic that one of the most liberal state in the country doesn't have art and music in the public schools. I don't want that to happen to Pennsylvania.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:37 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
But, I have to wonder if our own relatives didn't do the same exact thing a hundred years ago?
I kind of think not. It would be much riskier business sending coins in a draw-string pouch by boat. :P
Quote:
I did miss it. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess you're not as much of a bigot as I thought you were. J/K
Bleh!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:38 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
California's education system is in a shambles because of the immigrants. The public schools no longer have the liberal arts because the funding is used for "english as second language" classes. I find it extremely ironic that one of the most liberal state in the country doesn't have art and music in the public schools. I don't want that to happen to Pennsylvania.
You and be both Hopes..... good post.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 PM

[quote=Hopes;1427858]That's not the case with the migrant hispanics who come to southwestern Pennsylvania.

I think it's a good thing because Pittsburghers are still willing to do most blue collar jobs. When Pittsburghers quit doing those jobs, there will be a need for uneducated immigrants. That's just not the case right now.
[quote]

I see it differently. Do you really believe that the jobs they are taking can actually be considered blue collar? My dad was a blue collar steel worker. He made a lot more money than the Hispanics at Wendy's or those picking fruit or cutting lawns.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:47 PM

[quote=boylocke;1427867]You and be both Hopes..... good post.[/quote

Well let me tell you. The east coast provides a much better education than the west coast. Even BEFORE the immigrants came into the picture.
Even comparing schools that are wealthy and have NO (or virtually none) Hispanics, the education one gets on the east coast is substantially better. Even in the schools where there is a heavy Hispanic population on the east coast. For some reason, the east coast does a better job of educating it's young. Maybe the west coast kids brains are fried from all the sun.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 09-04-2007 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 09-04-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I see it differently. Do you really believe that the jobs they are taking can actually be considered blue collar? My dad was a blue collar steel worker. He made a lot more money than the Hispanics at Wendy's or those picking fruit or cutting lawns.
I don't really consider unskilled labor blue collar. It was just a poor choice of words on my part.

The reality is that there are many Pittsburghers who depend on landscaping, fast food, and construction laborer positions.

(There's not much fruit picking to be done around here).

If you think that Pittsburgh needs unskilled labor, you don't know Pittsburgh or Pittsburghers.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't really consider unskilled labor blue collar. It was just a poor choice of words on my part.

The reality is that there are many Pittsburghers who depend on landscaping, fast food, and construction laborer positions.

(There's not much fruit picking to be done around here).

If you think that Pittsburgh needs unskilled labor, you don't know Pittsburgh or Pittsburghers.
Well you may have a point there, but being that I am originally from Buffalo......
With that said, it just looks to me where I am that the "better and higher paying jobs" then go to the people who are not Hispanic. That can only be an asset to Pittsburgh.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Well you may have a point there, but being that I am originally from Buffalo......
With that said, it just looks to me where I am that the "better and higher paying jobs" then go to the people who are not Hispanic. That can only be an asset to Pittsburgh.
The economy would have to boom here for there to be a need for unskilled immigrants; otherwise, the immigrants would take the unskilled jobs away from Pittsburghers who currently hold the jobs. In Pittsburgh, most fast food jobs and cashier jobs at grocery stores are held by teenagers, senior citizens, and mommies who want to work part time while their children are in school. Where else will they find jobs if immigrants come to take them away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh